More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If the young guys are gonna start, why bring McCown in?
    I'm also sure that McCown plays the position better than the two we have up till this point. They didn't bring him in to secure the top pick in the draft.
    Unless one of the young guys make a big jump, McCown gives us the best chance to win.
    Sure it isn't many games in the win column, but it's more than Petty and Hack combined.
    Hack is 1st team All-NFL clipboard holder and Petty got crunched in his limited duty. I'm not for McCown, and I thought the signing was a joke.
    Management made the call not me.
    I hate to say it, but Geno would have been a better QB than McCown.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You miss the entire point of this season. It's not to see how many games they can win. They know that between undergoing a youth movement and the schedule that they have that they're not gonna win many games. Playing McCown because he "gives us the best chance to win" is a fool's errand. It just continues the same old BS agenda and gains the team absolutely nothing. If Bowles does that shit, he should be fired by mid-season.

This season should be about determining, without doubt, whether Hack and/or Petty can be our franchise QB going forward, which other young players can help this team going forward, and the CS then doing everything in their powers to develop those young players. Nothing else matters this season, least of all trying to win as many games as possible. If Hack and/or Petty aren't the answer at QB, then the Jets HAVE to get a topflight QB prospect in the 2018 draft if they have any hopes of seriously competing for the playoffs or the SB anytime in the next 5-10 years. They're not gonna get that QB, or get to the playoffs drafting between 15-20 and winning 6-8 games every year.

Geno may have played better on the field, but the fanbase would never have stood for it, and he would have been totally useless as a mentor. If the Jets were really trying to bring in a starting QB to win as many games as possible this season, they would have signed another QB and not settled for McCown. Thinking that because they signed McCown they're going to start him and try to win as many games as possible is a logic fail imo. IMO they brought in McCown to help mentor and steady the young QBs and as a last resort if both fail or are injured. The Jets know that if they are to ever have any realistic hopes at becoming a consistent winner and playoff team, that they have to find a FQB. If Petty and Hack aren't it, then their best chance at getting one is in the 2018 draft. McCown won't win so many games that he will mess up their draft position. I think the plan is to play Hack and/or Petty this season. If one or both develop and the team wins a bunch of games, then the Jets won't need to draft a QB next season, and they'll be happy. If both fall on their faces this year, the team will lose a ton of games and should be in prime position to get a topnotch QB prospect in the 2018 draft, and they'll be happy. The worst possible thing that could happen to the Jets is to win more than 3-4 games and both Petty and Hack flop. In that scenario, they probably wouldn't be able to get one of the top QB prospects in the 2018 draft and they'd still be looking for a QB.

#662 NCJetsfan, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I miss the entire point of the season?
    You should be talking to management, not me.
    McCown was brought to this team to do something other than "Mentor" our youth injection. Don't fool yourself.
    Believing that McCown is here to help our team in anyway, is a joke.
    If our QB's learn anything from McCown, it's gonna be how to make a bunch of money in the NFL for a long time, without showing much as far as player. If the management brought McCown in to further coddle Hack or Petty, or "show them the ropes", you are missing the point.
    McCowns hiring is a joke.
    But I will say this, I bet anything Bowles starts McCown, and Mac will back him up on that. Why wouldn't Mac? Hell he signed him.
    You guys are living in a fantasy land believing he won't start, with the reason being neither of our young guys are ready.
    Again, this isn't my point of view, but I bet management approached it this way, and continues into the season.
    Do you think Hack will be ready to start game one this season? Petty with his off season set back?
    Do you think Mac and Bowles will tank the season watching ineptitude at the QB season? Not if at all possible, Woody wouldn't allow it and you know it.

4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

McCown is the definition of ineptitude...not sure what your trying to say.

5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I found this on YouTube, pretty interesting:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in a post, but was it coincidence that Chad Pennington announced the Hackenberg selection?

#665 Pags2112, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

That video has been posted on every Jets site like a thousand times lol but nonetheless its good stuff.

Also yes I love that Chad announced the Hack pick.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Still early but pretty encouraging....per Adam Schefter "Jets are pleased with the way QB Christian Hackenberg has looked. The Jeremy Bates effect."

Still early but this is great to hear. Now, I need to see it on the field to believe it.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I put as much stock into that report as the one last year saying "he couldn't hit the ocean". None.

Walt White likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The only reason that its more credible for me is because its from Adam Schefter. But in the end, no amount of praise matters unless Hack shows it on the field.

Jake likes this.
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Yeah Schefter wouldn't throw this out there without holding some water.

11. Pags2112

Agreed, I saw that on Mike and Mike; looking at the film provided of the OTA's, Hackenbergs feet look decent, his left foot is the back plant and he looks smoother. For his footwork to look decent early is huge step for this young QB, considering most of his issues stem from it. I personally don't have any concerns on him learning the playbook, being able to read defenses or being a leader. As mentioned, for him to come into OTA's with something to build on is a good sign. Good job Hackenberg for not wasting the offseason, and giving Jeremy Bates something to work with. If Hackenberg came in looking like he did last season, and the CS having to use most of the spring to just get his footwork to where it is now, would have been a disaster. Hope is there and the Jets CS still have three more months to work with him. Again, good sign.

Like you mentioned grkmanga, we need to see it on the field. After these months of preparation, Hackenberg needs to put it all together and have a strong camp. They want the starter to be determined before the preseason games begin.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

For many fans, me included, the starting QB will determine the level of excitement for the 2017 season. With Hackenberg you get to see a guy they drafted in the 2nd round who had a year to learn the system. There is at least some hope that he could be a good QB. Even if he goes out and tanks, the Jets will have a top 3 pick in 2018 and should be able to get the next QB then. Its a win win scenario to start Hackenberg.

McCown does nothing for this team. He turns 38 in a few weeks and has an 18-42 record as a starter. There is no future in McCown and more importantly, he isn't very good. If he starts it means that Hackenberg or Petty aren't going to be anything. And the Jets might win 5 games again and finish with a mid top 10 pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mccown has won 2 of his last 20 and you think he will win 5 of his next 16?
    If mccown starts it means petty won't be back next year and the jets will be looking at a qb in the first,likely with a top 3 pick.

Br4d likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

McCown is the golden ticket for the Jets. That's why he was signed. The last three teams he started a season for all got a top 2 pick.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So, you're saying McCown is the Typhoid Mary of QBs?

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

#676 101GangGreen101, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The ocean quote was also from Schefter

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

So, that means are guaranteed a 10 and 6 record, while they just miss a playoff berth?

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

20. Pags2112

Nice link 101G, thanks. I agree with the assessment, I watched many a game were the guy was slammed and played each down as if he knew there was less than the usual throwing window. And when he did have time, he tried to make up for it by doing too much. Instead of hitting check downs, he would try and get it all in one shot. The kid is only in his second year but if we see progress this year on the field, we just may have something. The best thing the Jets did was sit him his whole rookie year.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.