More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm already looking up crow recipes.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Especially since Master Chan won't be calling his patented ill timed heavy pass or heavy run offenses. Hell, we might even score occasionally in the RZ this year since whoever the QB is might have a play designed to go to the..... TE!

#642 Cman68, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Watching some of Hack's freshman highlights. "When he was good." His footwork was lousey. I hope he got around to working out how to take a three step drop. Ugh.

johnny likes this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The fact that he had any success with that atrocious footwork is astonishing. I'm not sure what the disconnect was...maybe it's a coordination issue. Some great athletes have these little quirks. I mean freaking Wayne Gretzky always looked a little odd with his hunched over skating style.

When it all does come together for Hackenberg though he looks incredible. I still watch that TD pass he threw against the Giants to Robby Anderson in the pre season. That was the prettiest and most perfect throw any Jet QB made last year.

He's got the brain. He can read defenses, he changes things up at the line to adjust to what the D is showing him. He can make every throw. If Hack ever makes it in this league he'll be known as a guy who is a top 5 (at worst top 10) arm in the league.

But none of that matters if he's airmailing balls into the kickers net on the sidelines on simple dump offs where Bilal has 20 yards of daylight ahead of him, or spiking the ball into the ground on simple crossing routes. I really hope we can coach these deficiencies out of him because if he does put it all together his upside is tremendous.

#644 forevercursed, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    almbleamal likes this.
  5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

He's definitely polarizing pdxdrew. When I went back and watched his Freshman year footage on draftbreakdown, I didn't see perfect but also didn't see lousy. The commentators and experts praised his footwork that season. He was receiving comments almost on par with those received by last years Freshman standouts. One thing I found interesting though, was that in the years that followed, and perhaps those portions were cut out as they are condensed snip-its, they didn't mention or compare the change in his footwork.

6. pdxdrew

Well. I did only see a small sample set. Just curious did you see any of his old frosh games up on YouTube? I'm sure some Penn State alumni have posted some stuff.

7. Pags2112

Pdxdrew, I am probably one of the more optimistic posters on TGG, but am in no way promoting Hackenberg as the Jets QB messiah. My opinion is that Hackenbergs statistical regression was mostly the result of the negative impact from the NCAA sanctions and coaching change. I believe the talent is there, and am keeping an open mind that the Jets CS and Hackenberg himself can put it all back together.

I did Pdxdrew, I saw a few on YouTube, but I watch the Hackenberg footage and all other prospects on:

http://draftbreakdown.com/

, there you can see 9 games from his Freshman season, 11 from his Sophomore, and 3 from his Junior season .. they are snipped to only include his passing attempts and scrambles.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. pdxdrew

I'll say one thing about the guy. He can sling that rock with the best of them. The delivery looks effortless but he is slinging it forty five yards downfield.

9. Pags2112

He ran the offense well and makes 15 yard throws look like 5 yarders and you can see that arm on Hash to Sideline throws. He throws a nice deep ball but needs to be consistent. Overall was a nice rookie year and he played better against the ranked teams, which is a good sign. He was inconsistent overall though and rushed into throws. Streaky and threw too hard when he didn't need to. I'm surprised a football didn't get stuck in a RB's face mask.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Good post pertaining to fundamentals. Reps, using fundamentals, turn to instant response reactions/actions.
    To me he seems stuck between a thrower and a passer, big difference there.
    Then you said he hurt his draft position? Being over drafted is a bad thing to him? Only thing that was hurt was our team drafting him so high.

12. tbruner12

McCown's hiring as QB is a sign that management doesn't have faith in our young QB's.
    If they did it as a safety net, or to give aid in their development, that's ridiculous. I'm not sure he can offer them much more than mediocrity. They have that already.
    They hired the guy at 6 million per, to start. It's his starting spot to lose unless one of the young guys jump way past him.
    I think our QB situation sucks nuts.
    But all we can do is hope for the best.
    I hope we end up with a pair of 1,000 yard rushers this season. It's our only hope.

13. forevercursed

You couldn't be more wrong about this.

McCown is a great veteran presence, great work ethic, great teammate. He was brought in here to assist Hack and Petty and be a mentor to them. Plus should one or both get hurt (or stink god forbid) then McCown can play.

McCown was not signed to be the unquestionable #1 starter. He only starts if Petty/Hack completely shit the bed or get hurt in training camp/pre season.

almbleamal and hwismer like this.
  14. forevercursed

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So nothing new, rehashing what was said about him in college and one scout watching him throwing warm-ups pregame one time last year, means Hackenberg won't beat anyone out this season.

I guess working on his game in the off season would have no effect because, well just because .

16. tbruner12

I guess we will see during game #1.
    I don't understand why you believe Bowles or Mac will go all in with either of our young guys.
    Petty is obviously more ready than Hack, and if he was gonna be the guy, we wouldn't have gotten another version of Fitz in McCown.
    You have it backwards my friend, not me.
    McCown starts unless he is hurt.
    Our coach and GM won't allow this team to be the bottom of the NFL.
    Only way the young guys start is if they prove to play better than McCown. Safe money is they won't.

17. tbruner12

A 6 Million dollar mentor? Get real.
    That's what the staff and QB coach is for. So if you were a GM, you would hire a mediocre QB to teach your potential QB's of the future?
    Sorry, I don't think it works that way, and sure as hell ain't buying it.

18. pdxdrew

19. tbruner12

You realize Petty was injured and Hack took a red-shirt year?
    You must be banking on McCown and the QB coaches really turning those two around, huh forevercursed?
    I'm really wanting either Petty or Hack to be great, but McCown didn't come to NY to sit behind two people that can't do what he can.
    Wow

20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

It really depends on what this teams intentions are this season if McCown starts.

2 ....yup 2 whole wins.... with....wait for it.....20 losses in the past 3 seasons. Yea 20. That's alot.

If the team has intentions of working with the young guys and gaining chemistry with the receivers and offense the young guys will start.

If they care little about winning and are all in on security of the top pick in the draft McCown will start. McCown has a very consistent record of securing top picks for previous teams. He is the opposite of giving us the best chance to win. At 38 years old it's not gonna get better.