The Jets will be NFL's surprise 2017 team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 20, 2017.

1. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Howdy all.

I'm not saying that they'll make the post-season, nor am I saying they'll even finish with a winning record.

What I am saying is that this is a team with a renewed feeling, a significant culture change is underway.

Each of the team's 2017 draft picks are players with either a chip on their shoulders, or they are undervalued and non-appreciated players who all feel as though they have something to prove.

I expect a hungry and aggressive, very physical and fast football team this season.

Youth will be served in many instances and they will make some mistakes, however, they will also surprise, sometimes overachieve, and they'll catch some teams by surprise.

I am far from the type who is expecting a 2-14 or a 3-13 abomination with eye-sore football spread out over 4-months.

I expect this team to resemble the 1979 edition of the Jets for those old enough to remember that edition of the club.

I think this year's edition will be competitive, and with the new direction they are finally and thankfully taking, I believe this will be Year I of building a foundation that will eventually sustain for several consecutive years.

While some are predicting gloom and doom, I find myself very eager and excited for this upcoming 2017 Jets football season.

Skicats, nicg4360 and egelband like this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Welcome to TGG!

I do feel that the Jets are finally rebuilding their team through the draft with a focus on speed and youth for the entire roster.

I like what they did this past draft. Some will say they went overboard by taking two safeties in Rd 1 and 2. I see it as, they took the BPA and both safety spots were extremely weak last season.

I do not agree though, that the Jets will be a competitive team this upcoming year. There are some very difficult games/opponents the Jets are up against. Pats (2x), Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Saints, Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos, Dolphins (2x) are all games that could very easily be losses.

I like the direction, but it will take another offseason before we start to win some games.

egelband and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I feel we're headed in the right direction. Our defense could be very good, if Mo Wilk bounces back, Claiborne stays healthy, and the rookie safeties are as good as advertised. On offense, if we can get even average quarterback play, a big if I'll grant, we'll sink or swim with how healthy Decker is, and how much the young wide-outs progress. Our special teams can't be any worse than they were last year. I'm not a fan of Bowles; but we have to hope that he learned something from his many mistakes last year, and can continue to improve as a coach.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

4-12 will surprise no one

JetsNation06, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

So what ur saying is that the Jets will continue to be the poster boy of mediocrity and not make the playoffs nor get a top 3 pick.... ya sounds about right....

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think the only possibility of that is through decent QB play, which is hard to imagine. But a scenario in which going 8-8 or something is good would be one of the two young QBs plays very well and shows enough to potentially be the guy going forward. I'll be hoping very much that Hackenberg or Petty show something, but I am doubtful this happens...
    A bad scenario is McCown plays just well enough to keep the starting job, leads this team to a 7-9 or 8-8 record, and we don't get to see much if any of Hack or Petty. And then miss out on a top QB due to picking somewhere in the upper teens.

egelband likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

First, welcome to TGG

Second, LMAO

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

this would be our biggest nightmare

9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

If McCown wins 7-8 games he will feel like he's won the Superbowl. Dude has won 2 games the past 3 years.

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg turns into a decent QB....
    If Adams and Maye can solidify the secondary...
    If Kevin Greene can help turn Mauldin and Jenkins into decent edge rushers...
    If Beachum can regain his Pittsburgh form...

And I am sure there are a few more I am forgetting.

#10 pdxdrew, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let the dead horse die. Don't try to put makeup on its face. Let the horse die. 1-15 please.

Mehl-56, JetsNation06, joe and 2 others like this.
  12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I agree with this fully but if I remember correctly the 2015 season had a whole lot of ifs as well.
    If the aging OL can stay injury free. They did. In '16 it completely fell apart.
    If Marshall can not be a locker room cancer...he wasn't.
    If Fitz can not completely fall on his face and regain starter form. He did (for '15).
    If Cromartie can play with some degree of success with Revis. He did pair up with Revis fairly well that year.
    If Leonard Williams can step up his rookie year. He did.

I'm sure there were more with us coming off a 4-12 season. Our biggest help was we were able to stay fairly healthy.

If we can somehow keep the starters on the field so they can develop there may be some small surprises here and there.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

All Together Now....

"Always look on the Bright... Side of life..." - Life of Brian reference here

Donttasemebro likes this.
  14. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

first of all, I guarantee we have a top 10 defense, there is no way in hell this defense is even close to being as bad or at the bottom of the league in defense like last year, all the draft picks this year besides the last 2 corners we took, who are developmental projects, will have a good impact on the team this year, and the new offensive coordinator's system is perfect for Hack , plays to his strengths, the west coast offense, Hack will be better than people think, we're gonna win 8 or 9 games this year, fuck you and ur wait for next year's qb class, Hack is our future, deal with it, suck it posers, u know shit about this team, stop calling yourself fans

JetLifeLo and Jets_Grinch like this.
  15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

That was a mostly veteran team.... this isn't. Big difference.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I see RobA has a compatriot...

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

This is crazy

I can see them having a top 15 defense. MAYBE top 10 if we stay mostly healthy. I really can't see our D-Line performing any worse than they did last season. The secondary should be better, but not elite or even good, just average. I doubt Clairborne will stay healthy. Adams and Maye should provide an instant upgrade.

We should be able to run the ball. Forte/Powell/McGuire will do well...but nothing elite.

Our QB situation is either going to be average (which would be a miracle) or a dumpster fire of epic proportions and the worst in football. Our pass protection can also get some of these guys killed. God help us if we become banged up on the offensive line.

We were also rewarded with having one of the toughest schedules in the league (though who knows how these things shape up)

Best case scenario is 6-10. Worst is 2-14. There is absolutely no way I can get this team above 6 wins.

My prediction is 3-13. We beat the Bills once. We beat either the Browns or Jaguars. And we beat the Chargers on Christmas Eve. Maybe we sneak a win against Miami to go 4-12. The Jets always seem to beat Miami when we have some wretched teams (1980, 1989, 1992, 1995, 2005, 2007)

#17 forevercursed, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Fake news......are u a journalist??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

You just described like 75% of the guys taken in the NFL draft... almost all rookies have something to prove and most guys who didnt go in the top 40 feel like they were passed up on, some multiple times.

that doesnt change the fact we stink at all of the most important positions: QB/LCB/LT/Edge Rusher

it doesnt change we have the least talented roster in the league

it doesnt change that a decent porition of the team doesnt respect the coach

it doesnt change we lack depth and cant overcome an injury

it doesnt change our coach probably isnt cut out to be a head coach

3-13 would honestly by an optomistic outlook.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

defense probably takes a step back... young guys means more mistakes and we still suck where it matters... corner and ednge rusher. we cant cover and cant get to the qb. plus our offense will be much worse which means defense on the field longer

this is going to be one of the worst jets teams weve ever seen.

that said, thats ok... it needs to get worse before it gets better. keep committing to rebuilfing through the draft and in 3-4 years we can worry about our record.