More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

You're so right and if the lockeroom splits .. Bowles better be on point. I don't want to go off track but I'm curious to see how much impact the removal of the alpha veterans and the insertion of the alpha youngins has. This is just my opinion but I think Mangolds release had partly to do with just that. Mangold was very tight with Petty, per Twitter and Instagram posts and fotos. I think it could have given Petty an unfair advantage having Mangolds backing and possibly split the lockeroom. Even though he's gone now and has grown up, I wonder if Marshall would have been a factor. The one thing I have noticed in the media though, is that I have seen comments from players regarding Hackenbergs possible starting and leadership qualities but none about Petty, though perhaps I missed such statements and articles. I find it both interesting and intriguing as Hackenberg seems to be as polarizing now as he was in college. We get comments stemming from not being able to hit the ocean and not ever starting to, he has all the tools, off the charts leadership, and can see him starting. Polarizing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Pags2112

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    I think Hackenberg has the smarts and had more pro-style experience coming into the NFL than most rookies. He ran O'Brien's pro-style system which is proof enough but also ran John Donovan's pro-style personnel oriented multiple system for two years. Both required the quarterback to read and understand defenses. As for Petty, all calls were made on and from the sidelines, with the RB helping the QB communicate them to the OL. The receivers at Baylor also looked to the sidelines. Petty of course being part of a true college spread, also never snapped behind center.

I was watching old episodes of Grudens Camp yesterday and watching both Petty and Hackenberg .. I just got a sense of a more polished QB from Hackenberg. Especially on the board. With Petty and Hackenberg both being labeled projects (and really most QB's are), I just see much more being on Pettys plate.

Edit- I have posted before .. all the quarterbacks coming into the NFL "can make all the throws" and "has all the tools" and "has the ideal size and arm". If you go back and watch the episodes .. and not just the Hackenberg and Petty episodes .. the board is what, TO ME, separates the two and is one of the main reasons why he appealed to the Jets. The kid just isn't bright .. he UNDERSTANDS the X's and O's. The routes, reads and protections. Learning the concepts is what most young QB's struggle with. As I posted before, it's a shame he went through all he did, but even he didn't know what was going to happen when he didn't retract his commitment. Again, it's my opinion but, if he didn't go through the coaching and footwork change, we would all probably be speaking differently of the kid, who quite possibly wouldn't be on this team. But he did go through it and had the seasons he did, and it's going to take time to rebuild him, both physically and mentally. I don't care what anyone else says, I personally think Hackenbergs weaknesses such as ball placement, pocket presence and decision making all stem from the loss of talent on the OL and skill positions coupled with the coaching staff screwing with his mechanics. Fortunately for both Hackenberg and the Jets, the film is there and he will definitely put in the effort. The Jets CS need to do the rest.

-Edit 2 Gruden actually does a good job summing up Hackenberg.

Watching his footwork when Franklin came in, you can see how uncomfortable he is. He immediately shuffles his feet when he gets the ball in the gun. The shuffle is not as apparent from under center but he still does it. It throws off practically everything.

Edit 3- I'm glad we didn't take Paxton Lynch because that kid was an immature doofus to me. Reports state that he could be regressing, but it's still only his second year. He reminds me of Big Ben R when would be pass rushers bounce off of him in the pocket: If you accessorize Lynch with a top hat and white tipped wand :. He looks like a magician straight off the box cover of a 50's starter magic set

[​IMG]
    When Football doesn't pan out for Paxton Lynch...

#622 Pags2112, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's possible. I agree with we can't get into Bowles' mind, but from what I have seen, I think if it is even between the 3 he would go with McCown.

4. Pags2112

Dark Knight I wish we were able to place bets on this site lol. I'd bet you $100 that McCown doesn't start Day 1. Perhaps we can make a different type of wager if your game?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

:D Nope no bet. If I did I would be betting against what I want. I would prefer Hack or Petty starting. I am just saying how I think Bowles will handle it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Pags2112

So which do you prefer and why?

Gotcha .. if anyone else wants to bet .. I'm open.

7. The Dark Knight

Nothing would make me happier than Hackenberg winning the job and being a solid NFL Starting QB.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, and you're probably right, but if so, then those young players' attitudes are more than a little ironic. They're young, they want other players to believe in and trust them and to give them a chance. They should be willing to do the same for the Jets' young QBs. They should know that McCown is not the answer or future, and that the Jets need to find out if Petty or Hack can be. If so, then that QB needs support and patience. If not, then the Jets will need to draft a QB next year.

9. NCJetsfan

Interesting. I don't use Twitter or Instagram, so I didn't know of the relationship between Petty and Mangold. Unless the Jets' FO has given up on Petty and did fear that Mangold would be a problem, I would certainly hope that isn't the reason or part of the reason why Mangold was released. If it was, and he can still play, I would think that another team would have signed him by now.

I agree that I haven't seen any quotes or articles where the players are praising Petty, but it could be a matter of that the reporters asked about Hack, but not Petty. Petty's injury could also be a part of the equation.

I think Petty is plenty smart enough. I think I remember reading following the draft that he had a high football IQ and was very smart.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right! I don't trust Bowles at all. He has every reason under the sun NOT to start McCown, yet I really believe that he will, and unless McCown gets seriously injured, he will continue starting unless Woody has ordered him not to.

Pags2112 likes this.
  11. Pags2112

So NCJ are we making a bet?

12. Pags2112

Besides pics of them at home, they hit the town a bunch. An example of one of the most passed around pics was when they (Fitz, Petty, Decker, and Mangold) went to, I think was a Rangers game. There was a pick of them in a subway car. The time when Mangold was yelling at the other teams bench.

13. Pags2112

Per Jetswire.

Speaking with Connor Hughes of NJ.com, Hackenberg explained that he worked once again with his personal QB coach, Jordan Palmer, the younger brother of Cardinals signal caller Carson. The two worked together in the months leading up to 2016 NFL draft.

But, Hackenberg also went back home to work with his former high school coach in Fork Union, Va. for some extra instruction.

It's reassuring that he's been putting in the work, but I'm not surprised though, as the kid has been known to have a good work ethic. I was wondering if he worked on his footwork in the offseason and if he acknowledged the fact that it needed to be reworked. Too many NFL players are not quick to admit their faults and weaknesses.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Nah, I'm not a gambler, but if you're right (and I hope you are!), I will gladly buy you a couple of adult beverages of your liking if we ever meet!

Freddy Mondo and Pags2112 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I did see those pictures. I had forgotten that Petty was one of them. That's a good sign that the vets accepted him.

16. NCJetsfan

I think that both Petty and Hack are gonna make some posters on this board eat a lot of crow this season

JetLifeLo, hwismer and Pags2112 like this.
  17. Pags2112

I do too, and I will be content watching each game this year, even if we suck, just to watch one, the other, or both play. I think it's going to be a close competition this summer as each player has something the other doesn't.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  18. Pags2112

You can buy me them during the season some time.

19. NCJetsfan

It's a deal.

Pags2112 likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I certainly hope at least one does and I don't care which one it is.

hwismer, themorey, NY Jets68 and 2 others like this.