Jets vs Cleveland Replay

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 7, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Just because he ran a pro style under O'Brien for 1 season does not mean that you can flip a switch and get all that back right away. When the Jets paid Fitz 12 mil, right then and there, their plans for hack became obvious. Hack has all the physical qualities to be great, but when you have a college career, with the circumstances he had, it isn't wise to just start someone because he "has intangibles".

I'm trying not to make excuses for him because he is a pro....but we have to recognize the situation he was in, the situation he came into with the Jets, and what the situation is going into the 2017 season. We will find out soon whether he has it or not

3. grkmanga31

Agreed. The 2017 QB class was not the greatest. Why jump and take a QB high when you have 2 young QB's on the roster, who need to be evaluated?

See what Hack and Petty have and if they don't do well, you're probably in prime position to draft a QB in a stacked QB class in 2018

4. grkmanga31

Yep, I've thought about it as well. What happens if Hack takes the Jets to 8-8.....does that mean he's the future? Does it mean we still suck? A lot of questions that will be answered this season

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

To me 8 and 8 would mean that the Jets even suck at sucking.

6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The horrible thing about going 8-8 is that Bowles will get another year. SMH.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup, like when some how, some way, Geno Smith took us to 8-8 is first season, only to really suck after that. If Hack pulls a 'Geno' we're screwed.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if we go 8-8 next year with that schedule and hack wins at least 7 of those, this board and the local media will implode and pronounce that we have found our savior.

which we all know will last a NY minute and then its back to the drafting board, again. .

9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

If we go 8-8 and hack is the starter he had to have done something right especially with the rough schedule we have. With that said if he is carried by the defence and a running game with an 8-8 record a QB could still be considered. What that record would mean is alot of other things went right for the jets that should still be considered a positive with how much youth is on the roster. Many starting QB's have been found throughout the first round it's not a #1 necessity to be 1st overall...it helps sure but it's not all end all and be all. I'm sure there will be options good QB options throughout the first round and we can always trade up if we want "the guy".

10. grkmanga31

Our schedule does look rough next season, but I also feel like perceived hard schedules aren't always as hard as they appear.

It really isn't even about wins/losses....I think it should be about evaluating the performance of the young core.

11. grkmanga31

I agree but I also think that the team dynamic and implosion of the FO and CS factored into the Geno regression as well.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Whether he has it or not has nothing to do with the point I was making. The Jets had a plan to bring him on slowly and, surprisingly, they stuck to it. "Maybe" Hackenberg didn't show enough in TC and/or practice throughout the season to force them to play him, but that doesn't mean he wasn't ready. If/when he plays next season and continues to struggle with his accuracy as he did in college and the preseason, that too will not speak to his readiness. IMO the more accurate statement would be that [the Jets] "were not ready to play" Hackenberg not visa versa.

With regards to redshirting, going into the season I think it was a good idea given the fact Fitz was coming back, how polarizing the Hack pick was and this media market. However, once the season played out the way it did, I think this should have been reevaluated. Furthermore, if they knew sometime during the season that Gailey wasn't coming back, I think that they should have played him. Redshirting loses some of it's value when the young QB has learn a completely new offense the next year. It definitely becomes less valuable IMO than real game snaps; some would argue nothing beats that.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Don't you need to progress in order to regress?

14. grkmanga31

Fair point, but he didn't have that bad of a Rookie season... he just wasn't that great either

15. grkmanga31

I agree depending on whether its true that Gailey had informed them before the season that he was retiring (which I do not believe at all). I think Hack was and is raw and his footwork and accuracy problems stem from the drastic foot work changes he underwent in college. Now, if there's no improvement then it would be really concerning. Some people perform differently, so for some QB's actual game time is more beneficial, for others learning for awhile and going in there is better. Both methods have resulted in success stories throughout the NFL's history.

As for readiness, I think foot work/accuracy has to do with readiness because those are his fundamentals. All QB'S need fundamentals that are sound to be good in the NFL. If Hack doesn't have those fundamentals down pat (which he probably did not last year) then for me it means he wasn't ready. To be honest, I don't even think the Jets coaching staff or front office wanted him to be ready. On the other hand, I think this season they want to see something out of him. Whether that's better fundamentals, becoming the starter, is yet to be determined.