Should we keep Eric Decker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 15, 2017.

1. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Yes David Harris and Eric Decker should be kept to continue the growth of the young guns on their respective units(Offence/Defense). Need to have guys to teach the kids how to be pros

JetLifeLo, rohirrim665 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

(1) Keep him for QB development, as others have posted
    (2) Keep him for WR development - We are so young at the position that we need veteran leadership to show the kids how to be pros. Decker does everything right, on and off the field, runs crisp routes, and puts team first. You need guys like that showing the way.
    (3) He has 2 years on his contract. At 32, you let him walk as a FA and hope to recoup something in comp pick. If the young guys step up big before his contract runs, then he's unnecessary surplus and you cut/trade him. Until we know we have other horses in the stable, you've got to keep Decker around.

3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

That is if he can recover fully from the two surgeries he got over the off season.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not what I said in that post at all. RIF, my friend, RIF.

What part of the following from that post do you not understand?

THE point is that starting a young QB is the most important reason Decker should stay. The Jets want to give Petty and/or Hack the best opportunity to succeed. Any other reasons are secondary to that and pale in comparison. The Jets situation is also a vital factor. If they were shooting for the playoffs, they should keep Decker regardless, but since they're not, it's not as important.

Since the Jets are rebuilding and not expecting a playoff run, if they had a quality, experienced QB, the need for Decker would be less, but they still might want to keep him. If the Jets had a QB like Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Rivers they could still make a competitive rebuild work, so would probably want to keep Decker since they could still make the playoffs, even though one of those QBs could help the young WRs develop, and they would get more snaps without Decker here, and would learn by playing rather than watching.

OTOH, if they had an "experienced" QB like Joe Flacco, then they'd probably do the complete rebuild that the Jets are doing. In that scenario, they probably wouldn't be thinking about making the playoffs, so it would come down to a matter of whether the team thought that Flacco could help develop the young WRs ala Brees, Manning, etc., or whether it would be more beneficial for Decker to stay to mentor and help teach them. In that scenario, I'd think they'd probably trade or cut Decker.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

First, I think Decker would be VERY beneficial to the young WRs, and to Hack as well. So naturally we say "Keep him"!

BUT....if Macc is already convinced Hack is not the answer (just based on last season TC, etc), then Macc will NOT want Eric Decker adding 1-2-3-4 wins to our 2017 season. Macc will not keep Decker if doing so will ensure we miss out on a top 1-2-3 pick in the upcoming draft.

More than any other player, keeping (or possibly cutting) Decker will say a lot about how Macc feels about Hackenberg and our team for the 2017 season (I think).

6. NCJetsfan

I don't think that Mac is already convinced that Hack is not the answer, not for one minute, but even if he is, he's not gonna "tanking" by cutting Decker. Decker is not going to give the team multiple extra wins, especially if there's no QB to get the ball to him.

Nor do I think that he's given up on Petty, as you seem to indicate by not even mentioning him.

7. Footballgod214

If Macc thinks Hack has a 50/50 shot at being 'the guy' then of course, Macc keeps Decker for his leadership.

But what if Macc has already made up his mind and is playing out the string for a top 3 pick? Would he still keep Decker?

Tough call.

8. Footballgod214

There's probably a 90% chance of keeping Decker for his leadership. And of course his talents could easily lead to at least one extra win, maybe a cpl. And those one or two extra wins will drop us out of top contention for 2018 draft.

So that 10% chance Decker gets cut, that tells me Macc ain't taking any chances. He's thrown in the towel on Hack/Petty before a single snap and he's all in on getting his man 11 months from now.

It's hard to believe Macc would write off this season in favor of the 2018 draft this early, but he's at a crucial point in his career. He's either all in on Hack and he keeps Decker (90%), or Decker is cut during TC (10%) and we get the pick of the litter.

Lets just hope Hack isn't a typical 6-8 win type QB. Finishing this season 6-10 would really, really suck.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Decker will be 31 next year, sure if enough of the young guys progress and he doesn't do much you let him go but if he produces this year why let him go? Devin Smith is out this year and after two ACL injuries may never make it back, Jalin Marshall is on a short suspension this year but has not shown much, Peake hasn't surpassed 200 career yards yet so the jury is still out on him, Enunwa hopefully gets extended and Anderson flashed but beyond them the rest are just hopefuls.

10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

IMO, I think it's time. I understand keeping him this year but I think next year he's just taking a developing players reps. I like when teams know when to seperate from a player earlier than after it's too late. Keeping older players has got us into that predictament more than once already and I personally wish we continue in the opposite direction. If we still need a number 2 vet, I'm sure we can find a younger model in free agency.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm sorry, but any idiot who was a reality show dolt, bye. Thank fake shit in the sky that I never saw any of it. I am so proud that I have never, ever had a social media account anywhere ever. I'm dying a rebel.

12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Is it really so black and white as Mac believes Hack is or isn't the answer at this stage? The guy hasn't taken a regular season snap.

I can't see it. More likely Mac is on the fence and knows Hack (and to a lesser extent Petty) have the tools, size and basic ability to do the job, but still need to grow and develop to become the answer. Just like the vast majority of drafted QBs in the NFL. We aren't tanking and we aren't set either. We have a couple of players who have the basic skill set to be the guy and we are giving them a chance. If they can't take it then we are going to be in a position to complete the tank and reload with a new guy. If they do take it then great

We aren't very likely to get more than 5 wins unless one of the young QBs steps up because McCown isn't getting there with this roster. The Jets aren't very good. We all know it. They could struggle to get 5 wins even if Hack does show he can be the guy.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Decker is awesome.. Decker is a QBs best friend... reliable hands and his route running is smooth jazz. Doesn't seem very outspoken but he's a leader by example. He can only help Bryce or Hack... They will greatly benefit from Deck's presence. Also Decker is exactly who you want to pass the torch to a guy like Hansen and Stewart.. Hell I hope he gives all of our young guys some lessons on running routes. We have plenty of cap space and he's not hurting it.. he's signed to a team friendly deal (even though people screamed overpaid for some reason) and it's up in about 2 more years. just let him play it out.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If im not mistaken Decker recently said he's ready to go now. like he'll be out there for training camp. We'll see.

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think at least 3 actions by Macc and team show that he has not made up his mind:
    1) he didn't draft another QB
    2) they brought in an OC and QB coach to fit Hack's skill
    3) Macc drafted his "future" Decker with Chad Hansen who can learn a ton from Decker about route running

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I hate to break it to you, jetophile, but this is a type of social media. ;):p

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

It's not often that we disagree, but we definitely do this time. It's not just a matter of having a number 2 vet WR. It's who Decker is. He's a great player and he will give Petty or Hack the greatest chance of developing. Just any other vet WR won't do that. In addition, Decker is a leader who can teach the young WR how to be a professional, how to run routes, and the proper attitudes. Again, just any vet WR isn't going to be able to do that.

I agree that the Jets have held onto older players too long, and that in general, it's better to move on a year earlier than a year too late, but think that one has to view each situation on its own merits, and not just take a cookie cutter approach to personnel. IMO they held onto Brick too long, but they learned their lesson and moved on from Mangold. I think moving Decker this season would be a HUGE mistake unless he just isn't healthy and/or can't even approach playing at the same level as before his injuries and surgeries.

How about Harris? Do you think he should have been cut/traded too? They are our two elder statesmen, are leaders/high character types, and both can still contribute at a high level on the field. Both should still be here this year imo. They will help the younger players at their position develop more than having more snaps would, and will play at a higher level on the field than their younger counterparts would, and that in turn will help other younger players who are starting to develop and play better.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Decker when healthy is a game changer on offense.Go back and look at week 1 and 2 with him and after he went down it was a drastic change.If he stayed healthy last season could have been completely different.Him being there will create plays for guys like Enunwa and ANDERSON.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  19. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

I thought our starting QB was McCown. If it is Hack this just means our F.O. paid $$ for no reason. I hear everyone saying stable of WR's. Is this Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, Devin Smith, "Q" our 2 WR draft picks and with or without Decker. I liked what i see in :Q: but everyone else seems like a question mark. What am i missing. Is Robbie Anderson gonna be Wesley Walker. I seen him drop some nice bombs. And most of his stats were in garbage time. J Marshall is suspended for now. What are they saying about him. Devin is just a bust. It happens. It just so happens to us much too often. A good reason why we are where we are. I love the direction we're going in. This season looks like a tough one. Looks like it may all have a silver lining. When we look like a disgrace again at least this will be the last of Bowles and MM. This is the perfect year for us to go bust. Beautiful thing. maybe we land our QB...Finally???/ At the bare minimum Bowles' ass and company can hit the road.

AMEN!

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

If healthy (fully recovered) and if Hackenberg plans on seeing the playing field; then i believe keeping Decker is a must.

Decker as we all know is one of the smartest WR's within the league in terms of his I.Q regarding the route tree, X's & O's along with reading defenses. If it's true that a young Hackenberg also has a very high football I.Q (upstairs) and can read defenses/make adjustments at the L.O.S etc...

Then i feel & believe that having Decker on the same playing field as (for) a young Hackenberg is a must.