More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I see that trend as well... McCown is now the grandpa on the team and it would be a** backwards to play him with what he has done with the rest of the roster.

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Was channel surfing today and came across a replay of the 2014 Pin Stripe Bowl on the Big Ten Network. It was Penn State vs. Boston College and quarterbacking for PSU was our very own Christian Hackenberg. I came in at the end of the game but I was impressed with what I saw. What stood out for me was his arm strength which was quite good. He also looked very calm in the pocket when they gave him time to throw. Seemed to do a good job finding the open receiver. He was under center a lot in the part that I saw and his footwork looked good to me. I don't know what people are complaining about. In short, I think anyone would consider him a strong pro prospect, especially organizations that want their QB to operate in the pocket. BTW, PSU won that game in OT.

#582 westiedog1, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I saw that game as well, and remember how highly the commentators spoke of him. They were spitting out the same type of comments I heard watching USC and UCLA games and the like.

4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

That is who he is. He's got all the tools and looks like an NFL QB in a shell, but by and large his performance in college was atrocious outside of a few games here and there.

His preseason was a great example of it. You watch that one drive against the Giants and you're impressed. You watch his entire body of work and you are horrified.

The biggest red flag on him was his inability to hang in the pocket and deliver the football. You really cannot become a professional QB without that trait

tbruner12 likes this.
  5. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as it is overcoming your weaknesses and trying to improve that of your strengths like with every other QB. Not just Christian H!

6. westiedog1

Admittedly, I didn't see all of his games. However, if as you say, he has all the tools, then the rest is hard work and desire. I'll be disappointed if he isn't the starter on day one. He's a second round pick who's had a year to prepare. The clock should be ticking on him.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Pags2112

I get your opinion, but I've seen most of Hackenbergs film and I wouldn't go near the word atrocious. Atrocious QB's don't get drafted period, regardless of the tools. I'll judge by the 2017 preseason and then some, the 2016 rookie didn't have the reps to be successful.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Pags2112

It's funny .. if you watch him in the pro-style vs Syracuse 2013 on draft breakdown .. they are praising his footwork lol.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's because in 2013 he was playing under O'Brien and Franklin hadn't arrived and screwed up his footwork yet.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Operating from the shotgun limits your movement, remember Hack played baseball so he wings it sometimes using all arm which is why he'll throw some into the dirt or air mail them.

Under Center he's dropping back and getting that base moving so he's so much more accurate.

He still has to learn how to move his feet when operating out of the gun in 2 minute drills and 4 minute drills.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think Hackenberg's footwork has always been much better under center than in the gun. It seems like the dropback reminds him to move his feet, and without that reminder he gets stuck in the mud. Swapping BOB for Franklin didn't change his footwork as much as it did exploit his weaknesses by using a spread system that put him in the gun a lot more often than the prostyle system did. Perhaps that could be a reason why we swapped Gailey's spread for a WCO? Regardless, he's been working with Jordan Palmer a lot these last 2 offseasons and hopefully he's built up the muscle memory to move his feet in the gun.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think your observation could explain a lot of Hack's problems, and your suggestion about them going with a WCO as the solution makes a lot of sense. I hope you're right on both counts.

I decided to read up on the origins of the WCO, as invented by Bill Walsh, and as he called it, "The Cincinnati Offense", and if the Jets did employ this approach, I could see where Hack might really blossom. Here's the link to one of the articles I read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1087386-football-101-breaking-down-the-west-coast-offense

13. Pags2112

The route tree of the WCO also plays to Hackenbergs' strengths. Posts/Flags, Hash to sideline, and the slant. The timed slant route, Hackenberg threw extremely well in college and when executed well is hard to defend.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If it was his third year, I'd agree. But second year, he should show a lot of improvement. If it was super obvious he'd be ready by the beginning of next season, sitting him this year wouldn't bother me. But the level of play from him would have to DRASTICALLY improve from last year because dear God in heaven, watching him play in the pre-season was a huge embarrassment.

Three seasons of college in a mediocre conference (Only team worth mentioning in that conference is Ohio St.) and he couldn't go above 60% completions? Suddenly he's going to start hitting receivers who are being covered by the country's best DBs? Right...That's happened to so many players from college. He reminds me of a more inaccurate Sanchez.

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

If you sat him again it would mean you have only one year to evaluate him. Contracts are 4 years. That means you have to decide whether you want to sign him long term after the third year or you risk losing him to free agency. One year, or even two, is not enough time to properly evaluate a QB. The Jets have already invested one year in which very little has been learned about him. That's why I said the clock is ticking. The window he has to prove himself is getting shorter.

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. Pags2112

Mediocre Conference? The top three conferences in College Football for the 2015-2016 season were:

3.BIG 12
    B/R Final Top 25 Teams:
    4 (No. 5 Oklahoma, No. 8 TCU, No. 13 Baylor, No. 19 Oklahoma State)

Non-Bowl Teams: 3 (Texas, Iowa State, Kansas)

Record vs. Power Five: 7-7 (3-4 in bowls)

2.BIG TEN - 4 Teams in the Top 12
    B/R Final Top 25 Teams: 6 (No. 3 Ohio State, No. 6 Michigan State, No. 11 Iowa, No. 12 Michigan, No. 22 Wisconsin, No. 23 Northwestern)

Non-Bowl Teams: 4* (Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue)

Record vs. Power Five: 12-12 (3-4 in bowls)

1.SEC
    B/R Final Top 25 Teams:
    5 (No. 1 Alabama, No. 7 Ole Miss, No. 18 LSU, No. 20 Tennessee, No. 24 Florida)

Non-Bowl Teams: 4 (Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina)

Record vs. Power Five: 14-7 (8-2 in bowls)

Donttasemebro likes this.
  17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

18. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

QFT

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

People forget this all of the time, but Hackenberg's drop-back and footwork was changed under Franklin. He operates just fine under the shotgun.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/04/penn_states_christian_hackenbe_43.html

That change obviously wasn't for the better, it was a definitely player out there when you change their mechanics and footwork.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I didn't forget it, I've seen it a bunch. I just don't think his shotgun footwork was particularly good under BOB either, he had the same tendencies with either foot back. Also, there are NFL systems that have the QB alternate which foot is back depending on the formation and I don't think it's a good excuse for that simple of a thing to destroy all of your fundamentals.