Petty - Ready to start throwing again!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 14, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/how_close_is_jets_bryce_petty_to_returning_from_sh.html

That right Petty haters, not only is he still on the roster, but he can start throwing again. Since he sucks so badly, Hack has nothing to worry about especially with the million dollar mentor showing him the ropes.

I still think the Jets would be doing Petty a favor by cutting him. Especially early so he can perhaps get with any other team that has a track record of actually developing Qb's but... As it is, he'll have to go thru a rigged Qb competition slanted to justify Macc's drafting Hack. Its not like the Jets have never had a rigged Qb competition in the past. Heaven forbid..

Interesting OTA and TC approaching. My money is on Hack to "win" the job although its Bowles that's the wildcard in this. That pesky "best chance to win" idiom has a good chance to rear its regressive head once again.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He looked awful, but we were an awful team last year. I have no problem retaining him and giving him a shot while our depth chart features question marks simply because we used a draft pick on this guy.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, Petty is probably not the answer, unless the question is "name one of the Jets QB's that served a stint as a message board messiah during the Toilet Bowls years".

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He was pretty bad last year, so I have very little faith he's a viable long term option.

Having said that, he's going to get his shot to prove his worth. I hope he can be the Jets future QB.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Petty has the arm to succeed. He needs time under center with a good group of receivers to develop. Who knows what will happen in the OTA's and during training camp. He's not stupid and can learn to read defenses with a quarter back coach. Maybe he should spend some time watching defensive practice and a lot of film. Quien sabe!

Frenbar and Cman68 like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I had hope for Petty but from what i seen last year, he just doesn't have that "it" factor. Petty, as a 2nd year player last season; looked worse than both Geno & Mark's rookie season.

Hopefully Petty can develop into a decent backup but i much rather see what Hackenberg is made of.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice kid, smart kid

I wish him luck...elsewhere

Jets69 and Cman68 like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm anxious to see how Petty does this year. I have a lot more faith in him than most of you guys do. I like him, but I don't want him going anywhere. I like the Jets more than I do Petty. Of course, I could be wrong, but I think he can help this team. I don't think he even had a chance last year with the way things were handled by Bowles and Gailey and with the shape the OL was in.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He looked better than Fitz, without the benefit of training with the first string, a putrid OL and 1/50th the experience. I'm not dismissing him yet

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am with you. Petty is the best QB on the roster if we can keep him upright.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If petty is the best qb on the roster a lot of people will get their first pick overall wish granted

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I can not sit here and say that Petty is the best QB on this roster. Not when we've yet to see what we could have in Hackenberg.

Hackenberg was once considered as the #1 QB within the entire Nation heading into his Sophomore season (after his play & performance as a Freshman under Bill O'Brien at PSU). Hackenberg in my eyes is just the better prospect. Better size. Stronger arm. Experts have literally raved about his knowledge and smarts upstairs. I highly doubt Hackenberg would've lasted past the 2nd round. And no way would this kid have gone the entire 3rd round and into the 4th round... still undrafted.

Of course I'd love to see Petty flourish. I just didn't see that "it factor" in Petty last year. I just don't understand how some fans can write off Hackenberg before the kid has even taken the field with a 1st unit.

I'm not writing Petty off either i just feel Hackenberg is a prospect with more potential. Youth. Size. Arm. I.Q. Toughness (PSU days). I just can't write off a young prospect like that. Within a blink of an eye. Snap of a finger. I'll root hard and root hard for Petty if opening day starter. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I haven't given up on this kid from Baylor either. I'm just not ready to say who's better than who. I will say that i feel our front office drafted Hackenberg last year during the 2nd round followed by redshirting him during his rookie year; in order to see what he's made of come 2017. I like that strategy.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Really looking forward to seeing the competition between Hack and Petty. I think Hack will win it, but my expectation is that he shows a considerable knowledge gap in terms of handling the offense. The way they are handling Hack is just unprecedented IMO in terms of Jets developing QBs.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the only two guys on offense who felt like playing when Petty was out there was Enunwa and Powell. For some reason Enunwa had the drops with Petty.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Petty and Hack are pretty much the same type of QB.. whoever gets the job will not finish the season and we will see the other guy anyways.. with our OL don't be surprised if we see McCowan too...

Peebag likes this.
  16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I hope the fan base, more than the coaching staff, give these kids the chance to develop.
    No matter who we go with, there's going to be a learning curve.
    This is a very young inexperienced offence that hasn't played together, it's gonna take time.
    What the team looks like in Nov/Dec will be a better indication, than what it looks like in Sep/Oct.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Look at you throwing logic around like it's candy lol.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am hopeful that Petty can make a big step forward this year. After last year it is unlikely he sees the field this year but if he can make the roster he should be able to contend for the backup job next year. That appears to be his ceiling. But I doubt he is on the roster in 2018.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Fuck developing young QBs. Who doesn't love watching the aged low- middle tier merry go round of QBs every 1 to 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Petty did not look good last year, his ceiling is backup. Which would actually be a good return on a 4th round pick.