More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Perhaps a poll with 3 choices:

1) Want Hack to succeed
    2) Want Hack to fail
    3) Want Hack to fail only to prove me right

Burnz and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

It would be full of people saying "I want Hack to succeed but he won't because he's garbage just wait and see."

Because negativity runs rampant in this fanbase.

Burnz, Jeti, hwismer and 2 others like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That's an easy choice. I want Hack to succeed. Why wouldn't any Jets fan want that?

NYJFOREVER, Burnz, Pags2112 and 6 others like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not without good reason.

Burnz likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but in spite of their history of incompetence and failure, some of us have been able to retain our wits and stay more positive.

Burnz likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

We've been thoroughly conditioned.

Burnz likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I like the fact that a young Hackenberg sat out during his rookie year; as a redshirt freshman would do in college.

Instead of a 2nd round rookie behind thrown to the wolves, he was able to gain one year of NFL experience behind the chalk boards, a season of learning from the sidelines while taking practice reps etc and also had more of a chance to learn more about teammates such as Quincy, Robby, Peake, Decker, Forte and Powell.

I can't make any predictions but if it's true that this kid can absorb information and learn on the fly up stairs; then a season of development could've been nothing but good for this kids chances come 2017.

And if it's true that his arm strength is top notch, we'll have a chance to see it first hand due to younger receivers that have the speed/athletsim to get deep. Both Enunwa & Robby have the ability to get down field. Peake is another big body on the outside. Decker when healthy can help his QB's down field. This kid Stewart out of the SEC for Alabama had a hell of a season working the slots. He plays physical and reminds me of a sleeper in which can fight to get open. If it's true that Hackenberg has a strong arm then 2017 could be fun in regards to watching our pass catching options running routes.

We may see Hack struggle with taking sacks, holding on to the ball too long, throwing interceptions etc we may see our inexperienced offense cost us & lose us multiple games etc but in regards to our younger receivers and Hackenberg? I just wanna see how they look on the same field as eachother.

8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think as jets fans we can make some fair assumptions on what steps this defence can take and who might be what this year and same goes for most of the offence. The one no one knows is QB....we can drag hacks name in the mud all day long but in all honesty we really don't know. We can all go by what he did in college and his poor accuracy and high sack count and those are all valid facts. We will see a new Christian Hackenberg on the field this year. The Redshirt year he had should only have helped him. The question is just how much. If he made small strides well that not gonna cut it. I think with this being a full blown evaluation year he needs to look as if he's grasping the playbook and can make reads and adjustments at the line. If he can't show a large jump by the end of the year we will be drafting a QB next year.

Pags2112 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You sound as if you've already written off Petty. That's the only thing with which I disagree. I think both should get a shot this year. Hopefully, one of them will win the starting job in TC. He should get 6-8 games to prove himself, unless he falls flat on his face immediately and shows no improvement over 3-4 games. If that starter hasn't shown clear signs of improvement and that he's handling the job well, then the other should get the remaining starts. McCown should not see the field unless absolutely necessary.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL

Cant wait till TC with the 3 Stoogies at QB and Bowles at the presser telling us things are going along fine

hehe

#570 NYJetsO12, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    tbruner12 likes this.
  11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Sorry yes it does sound like I'm not supportive of Petty but that's not the case. I hope Petty gets another opportunity as his game time last year was with checked out vets and back up starters in their first taste of starting. He deserves another shot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You got to wonder about the Jets fans hating our QBs. Why in the fuck would anyone would want a Jet player to fail? Oops, my bad, a Jet hater, that's who. You can't be a true fan and root for someone in the org to fail.

NYJFOREVER, hwismer, egelband and 6 others like this.
  13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Not true at all on my behalf.
    I admit that I believe he will be a flop, but I would much rather be wrong and the team have a true QB that can lead the team into the playoffs.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Christian. It occurred to me, why doesn't anyone name their kid Muslim? Just wondering.

Jeti likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I have no issues that Hack can grasp the offense and make adjustments at the line because at 18 he knew the whole playbook that BOB wanted at PSU. My worry is if he can make that adjustment with his arm. He can throw it with the best of them, but he has to learn that sometimes your 100 mph isn't the best thing..throwing that screen with touch, or leading a WR over the shoulder. He also leaned on Allen Robinson a lot his freshman year and letting him go win the one on one matchup. I'm curious to his play in this system and if the year on the sidelines really helped. I really hope he succeeds just because many want to see him fail and feel he won't be able to be a NFL QB.

16. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

They do, in prominently Muslim countries. There's a few MMA fighters named Islam from the Caucasus region, Dagestan, Chechnya, etc.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. jetophile

I'm sure. It's just not prominent here. Except for Jesus. "Hey, Zeus, que paso?"

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every second prominent American Muslim athlete seems to be named Muhammad. No?

Same thing as Jesus to the Islamic faith. They're both Prophets of God.

19. jetophile

Oh, yawn, your'e raining on my parade.

20. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of posters think Bowles wants to start his vets over young players like Pettenberg. But after looking over the roster, Maccagnan has really limited those options, as the players he passed or would pass over are now becoming the vets on this team. I don't think the youth movement is going to change unless/until we see the winning/run window and use free agency to plug immediate holes. Until then I think Mac will sign mostly 25-27 year old vets and anything over to 1 yr deals.

nicg4360 likes this.