Report: Robby Anderson arrested in Florida

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, May 8, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For a felony? If so, then the NFL is a joke. For a felony involving violence and fighting with the police, he should be suspended a minimum of 4 games imo, if not 8 or the whole season. They need to show these dumbass football players that they mean business; otherwise, just change the name to the NTL (National Thug League) so I can quit rooting for and following the stupid game.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Robby couldn't shake the tackle.

[​IMG]

mute and Cman68 like this.
  3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

He could spend the season in jail...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I disagree, Kurt. I don't think "drafting for need" suggests leaving a more talented player on the board or anything like that. Teams trade down or trade up all the time. One can trade up or trade down to get a player one likes at a position of need and who would be the BPA and a great value at that point in the draft.

I also agree that going BPA almost never fails. It has most certainly failed and failed miserably with the Jets. That's how we wound up taking DL in something like 5-6 straight drafts, and have completely ignored other positions. IMO BPA must be balanced pretty equally with need. It doesn't matter or help one bit if one unit on a team is all Pro Bowl caliber players if one has UPS driver-level talent starting at other positions, and one has little or no depth elsewhere.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gotta wait to see what actually transpired first, but I would think regardless he will get suspended a game. Could get more. NFL has always been a bad boy league, with that mind-set, you should've quit a long time ago ...

FJF likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's clear you look at Robbie Anderson's instagram, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ...

legler82 and Martin&theJETS like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree. Filling your roster with high character guys is the best approach, BUT...sadly too many pro athletes today have (and I include the semi-pros of college) questionable character. That seems especially true with those who have the most talent. I don't believe it's a coincidence that those who are budding superstars are coddled and forgiven for every transgression, leading them to believe that they're above the law. If you make a policy that you won't hire anyone with any question marks, you might not be able to fill your roster. I'm betting Macc had to make some compromises with his own policy for that reason.

The days of Grantland Rice, author of "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game" are long gone, replaced by the philosophy of St. Vincent: :Winning isn't everything...it's the ONLY thing". In other words, do whatever it takes to win, including accepting thuggish behavior in your players, because in the end, hoisting the trophy is all anyone will remember.

What disturbs me the most whenever another athlete engages in thuggery or illegality is that as a fan my support indirectly supports this behavior. That's a hard pill to swallow.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. It depends how the given team defines the term "Need". Do you "Need" a free safety or do you need to defend the deep pass better? Now perhaps those 2 things can correlate...but defending the deep pass can be achieved in more than 1 way...IE an edge rusher/corner/interior pass rusher, etc... This is where your scouts come into the equation as well as how well you understand the big board. If you do the leg work & determine that you're still back to Free safety...you need to determine if the draft spot/[player you are targeting makes sense from a value perspective..if not...you need to trade down to a spot more suitable, look at different alternatives or weigh the possible reprecussions if you decide to bite the bullet & take the guy anyway.

If i'm gonna use a "draft for need" model..i'm suscribing to Jimmy Johnson's philosophy: Find my guy....find the ideal slot for my guy...and make the necessary transactions to bring it to fruition.

Where I strongly disagree is going into a given round saying "Ok...I NEED a free safety...there's a grouping in Round 1 of 3 FS'sI'm taking FS A,B or C regardless of where they are properly slotted or if they fit my system or not".Same can be said for "Ok i'm simply taking the best player available regardless of fit/need or otherwise"in other words Big board drafting.This is where I place the Jets drafting of DL as you keenly alluded to..The mistake was not taking all the DL per se....you can always rotate those guys in & out...but not picking guys who fit the scheme/lacking a plan/trying to fit guys together who don't.

This is why being more selective of who makes it on your "draftable" category comes into play. You don't blindly take BPA based on the big board..you take BPA of who fits the JETS big board. Those are 2 different things. Your big board is in place to provide a macro view of how the draft may unfold & macro value. Your "team board" is the guys who fit,makes sense & can have clear journey to success in order of how you prioritize them. Between the 2 boards that's how properly navigate through the draft.

Just my opinion.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Your last paragraph is why I rail against accepting/condoning that type of character. I'm not against giving players a second chance if their mistakes, indiscretions were of a relatively minor nature. Youths make mistakes, sometimes very bad ones. It's one thing if a mistake is a one time thing, and quite another if there is a pattern of mistakes and bad behavior, particularly of a violent and/or thuggish nature. I think the NFL needs to take a very strong stand on this, and go to elementary schools, middle schools and high schools and make it clear that that kind of behavior will not be accepted. I think that schools need to take a tough stand as well. They should stop turning a blind eye to bad behavior in the name of winning. They should tell players that they get two screwups by the time they graduate from high school, and will be given another chance. If they screw up 3 times, then their playing days are over. Coaches who turn a blind eye should be fired. Sports should be used to build character, not undermine it. I'd love to see it get to the point where no player with a pattern of bad behavior and with an obviously bad character is ever allowed to play in the NFL.

They can go play for some semi-pro or prison team.

10. NCJetsfan

I almost completely agree with this with the exception of the bolded phrase. IMO you don't use 1st and 2nd round picks on backups. IMO continuing to take DL WAS a mistake.

The Jets' situation is a little different because over a 3-4 year period they had 3 different GMs, but still I think this was a mistake. As a result of that and bad picks by previous GMs, the next GM felt he had to rectify the bad picksand kept taking DL which aren't even the most important position in a 3-4 alignment and ignored the LB and S positions, not to mention the offense. I wouldn't have done that. If the DL picked by Tanny and Idzik couldn't cut the mustard, too bad. I would live with them until I had addressed the other positions that had been totally ignored, then I would look to upgrade those positions.

11. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Send a message and kick this skinny fuckin moron of a nobody to the curb.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I fully agree, but the NFL - or any of the sports factories - won't follow this prescription because of the money they make doing business the way they do now. The ironic thing is that if they DID follow this approach, in the long run their sport would be healthier, and they would make even more money.

It's this negative turn to tolerating thuggish behavior that often makes me think of just not following football any more. I've pretty much given up on basketball already, and there's so many changes for the worst IMO that have been made to football over the years that it might be time to just give it up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

If it is indeed as bad as it sounds, then I am really tempted to agree regardless of whether the charges are eventually dismissed or not. A clear message needs to be sent to the team. I probably would give him one more chance if he didn't have a history of getting in trouble., but I'd make it clear to him and the team that any more such behavior and the player will be gone regardless if he is a starter, backup or UDFA trying to make the team. If he did have a history of getting in trouble, then he would be gone in a NY minute.

14. NCJetsfan

I don't know if there really are prison teams like in The Longest Yard, but if there are, perhaps the NFL should just start airing their games, and remove all changes to the game created to protect the players. Allow clipping, hitting defenseless receivers, clotheslining, etc. The public might like that better where they see players dying on the field. We're not too far from the crowds from ancient Rome watching the gladiators anyway.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

TBH, it really sounds like some local cop got a little overzealous and power-hungry.

16. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Sending a message now with "this" player will benefit the team better as a whole then keeping him.

17. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it ..
    Agreed, I'll wait until the further details .. cops are known to inflate and add charges .. in other words .. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt/innocent until proven guilty until I throw the first stone towards the kid.

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Cut him

Show some balls

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

lol- on the cutting him thing. too funny

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm with you, it could be he got drunk/high/violent in which case throw the book at him.

But I also see it's going like this:

1. COP: Hey son, you got anything in that bag of yours? Let me see... (reaches for the bag)
    2. ANDERSON: I've got nothing there, man!
    3. COP: C'mon son, let's go talk outside (Takes him by the arm and pulls toward exit)
    4. ANDERSON: Lemme go! (Jerks his arm from cop's grip)

Charges:
    1 = suspecting crime in progress, trying to dispense justice.
    2 = Obstruction of justice
    4 = Resisting arrest with violence

K'OB likes this.