Optimism aside...I just don't see it...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, May 2, 2017.

1. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

As hard as the schedule is, I think the structure of the schedule makes it even more likely that we'll be bad. We got rid of a lot of players over the off-season and we replaced several coaches. The team will still be figuring each other out to start the season, and that's exactly when we play the easy part of our schedule. Which means that we could lose to the bad teams on our schedule that could have been wins if we played them during mid-season.

Game 1 is the most important game of the season. If we lose, we go into our home opener 0-2 with low confidence against the Dolphins who are most likely 2-0 or 1-1. Then the season starts to spiral out of control.

All-in-all, we actually have some talent on the team. But the talent is young and the team is new/hasn't gelled. And the schedule is not only hard, but structured in a way to make us lose against the easier teams. I'd like to see them prove me wrong though. Only 3 months till pre-season. It'll be here sooner than you think.

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh I see, well I will put my own annoyance back in its box over fans threatening to quit because we finally look like doing a proper rebuild for a change and we may have a poor season, nothing better to read than folks threatening to sack off their team until the good times roll.

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you're right... we arent 1-15 or 2-14 bad.... we are 0-16 bad.

by far the worst roster in football and we are terrible in all the positions that matter most: QB, Tackle, Corner, Edge rusher

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see who people think we may be able to beat next season? I can barely see us winning 2 games at all with our schedule.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of the Jets since they drafted Joe. My fandom is based on my desire to see them win every game they play. I suffer when they lose. Being a fan is a two way street. I give my loyalty to this team and in return I expect that the team will do everything in it's power to win. Now, they may not win all the time, I understand that, in fact they mostly lose, but I think I have the right to expect them to try as best they can to win. I'm confident that every management team has tried to do that since I became a fan. They haven't always succeeded, but they tried. In my opinion, this FO has not done enough to put a competitive team on the field. If the strategy is to lose games so that they can get a high draft choice, I think it's a poor strategy. Now if you want to question my fandom because I'd rather do something else than watch this team "tank," this year, that's your right.

nicg4360 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is for RobA and all those who still drink the koolaid and wear the goggles... :)

CBG and James Hasty like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we are taking one step back (youth movement, grooming young QB, etc.) so we can take three steps forward I can live with that.

Taking two steps back followed by implosion seems to be the recent pattern.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This team has QUESTIONS in many key positions,,,,,QB , LB/ edge rusher, secondary, will the Def line sit on their paychecks again ?, the offensive line is revamped, IF Decker is not back you are looking at some pretty raw WRs , assistant coaches are new but the one glaring fact that I cannot question , maybe some of you still care to but I dont ,is OUR HC is in over his head and asking the talent on this team ( if there is any ) to overcome him IMO is just asking for way too much !

9. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I think our defense will be good and will likely keep some games competitive. I mean our dline is still really good, especially if Mo and Richardson can have better seasons.

Our offense will be terrible, unless Hack figures it all out and has a good year.

Best case scenario is this team goes 6-10, which I don't think anyone will get excited about.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Going 6-10 would be the WORST thing that could happen. It would place them well outside the pick of a top QB. This is the one thing I fear most with Bowles: his trying to win meaningless games by playing vets who don't contribute to the long term growth, and winning just enough to screw themselves. I don't advocate "tanking", but this is one major concern since they decided not to take a shot at one of the QBs this draft - they might not have a shot in 2018 unless they mortgage their future, and that would be a terrible situation.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I get that people don't think the jets can't win next year or be lucky to win once or twice but looking back at last year there was a whole hell of a lot of addition by subtraction.

Loosing key vets? Really? Did I miss something?

We lost a truckload of underperforming overpriced vets. Yes. I am totally understanding that. I really want to know who the key vets were. Some will say Marshall.... actually he had a terrible year and had checked out by mid season. Mevis? Probably would have not made the roster on any team and was here mostly due to his contract. EVEN Mangold barely even played and at this point is not even able to get a contract on another team in FA. Our other key vet who did not play a down will likely be ready to play this year being Eric Decker. Fitzpatrick maybe? Seriously? Even our OC retiring is positive as his plays seemed predictable and old.

In my eyes the lost vets had nothing to do with any wins last year.

In comes a new young OC and plenty of rookies. A new LT who can be no worse than the one he replaces who could barely stay on the field last year. We also have a bunch of new position coaches that have had past successes and don't take crap like what was on the field last year. Morris Claiborne will be better than Revis even on his worst days. Jamal Adams as a rookie will make our secondary better as a rookie.

All I'm saying is the team we have this is better than last year even with the QB's currently on the roster and they won 5 games last year. Petty with reps with the first team in the off season will be better that the Fitz of '16.

I would love to know how we are any worse than last year's team who again won 5 games.

12. ColoradoContrails

I agree with your assessment, which is why I keep saying that those who are counting on being able to draft the FQB in 2018 are off base. There is a fair chance they could win 5-6 games and that would land them in draft purgatory, and once again miss out on the so-called "bumper crop" of great QBs.

nicg4360 likes this.
  13. nicg4360

This roster is already improved and with no pressure to win and being a youth filled team full of leadership the morale during the season won't take a nose dive 3/4 of the way through the season.

I want a FQB as much as anyone else but if we manage to muddle through 6 or so wins because our offense or defence surprises teams and teams underestimate them it can happen. I hope those wins come because Hack or Petty stepped up but if not well hope on some other things...

Kizer kills it for Cleveland. They can pass on a FQB cuz they have one.

The 49ers go all in on getting Cousins as a free agent as the coach has a connection with him.

Bortles takes a turn in the right direction and the Jags stick with him.

The Rams figure out a way to get Goff to become the FQB they envisioned.

The bears you would think will stick with Trubisky. You would think lol.

With Buffalo were screwed they will be looking to draft a FQB. Unless they see Garrappolo as an option as he will be a FA. We can pray.

Of those bottom feeders we should still manage to get a FQB out of the 2-3 that should have that potential coming out next year even with winning a few games. I just can't see us having a 2-14 record. We can always hope. I think I'm more hoping a light goes on in hacks head and we get that .500 record due to his leadership and arm. Now wouldn't that be something...more wishful thinking.

14. ColoradoContrails

Well, if Hack or Petty step up and show the potential to be a FQB - a BIG if - and the team shows up ready to play every game, and makes a fight of it, and Bowles learns from the mistakes he's made in his first two years - again, a BIG if since he showed no improvement from year 1 to year 2 - then if they win 5-6-7 games, I would at least be hopeful for the future, even if they didn't "win" a top 5 pick.

As you said..."more wishful thinking", but what else can Jets fan do?

westiedog1 and nicg4360 like this.
  15. nicg4360

The crappy thing is ....Bowles below average coaching with a team full of underachievers managed a 5 win season. I don't think Bowles has to change much to screw with our draft pick. If the injuries are limited and the rookies come out with a passion I see a few wins.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

very over exaggerated but we didn't look much better than 3-13 lol

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Took the same team, a year younger, to 10-6

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

You mean that 5th round 2018 pick that Mac worked so hard to attain can't be leveraged with their 1st round pick to move up to take one of the QB's? ; )

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The issue to me is that the PSL's continue to drop in price and with a few exceptions (i.e. those with lower tickets between the 50 and 30yd line) they are nearing the point where people will realize that the cost of season tickets for the year is greater than what they'd get back from selling their PSL in the secondary market so they'll just sell and give up the PSL rights or if prices continue to drop and there is no secondary market just forfeit the PSL and use that money to go to a few games a year getting tix from stub hub etc.. That is the motivation for the Jets to get fans to renew and get butts in seats. Once that avalanche starts it will get messy quickly. They'll be sitting on a ton of PSL seats that no one will pay full price for so they'll have to deep discount them (which will just accelerate existing PSL owners to give up their rights) or just eliminate PSL's altogether except for those prime seats. It's a slippery slope and it could happen sooner rather than later.

#119 No Fly Zone, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This is what I am afraid of. Having said that, there are a ton of games I don't see us having any chance of winning. (Pats Twice, Falcons, Raiders, Bucs, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Saints)

NYJetsO12 likes this.