McClown wants to start... Really??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 4, 2017.

1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

best chance to win..... a franchise quarterback is to start Hack! He'll either magically turn into one or he'll set us up in place to draft one

Peebag likes this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

right. Roll in a perennial loser to show you how to deal with game situations

Cman68 and GreenfiendNYJ like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember that. The Jets probably found Brunell on a street corner holding a cardboard sign - Will Mentor 4 Food

It was barely after he signed that he filed bankruptcy.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Yes, the decision has been made and the plan is being executed. Now its about executing correctly and acquiring talent. We can't afford to many misses on the draft and FA. My biggest concern is the head coach and his staff developing the young players. As an example our first round draft choice last year, Darron Lee, did not develop as expected. He's no Leonard Williams at this point but its only one year. And of course our HC does not know how to manage a game so even if these players develop this year, we might not get the results because our coach does not look ahead 2-3 plays, he waits till the 45 second clock stats and then scrambles to make the wrong decision. He has a built in excuse for not winning this year so unless he completely screws up multiple games he's gonna be back next year even if his game day management does not improve. that's my biggest worry besides the talent evaluation and coaching these young kids

5. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Or gives us the best chance for a top 3 draft pick so we can finally get a qb...... Lol

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

6. Yes...their ultimate success or failure will now come via this draft & the next 2 or so..

The only thing I disagree w. you on is Bowles..I'm highly critical of many things he does or doesn't do. That said...the one thing i do feel good about w. him is player development. We've seen decent strides out of Leonard WIlliams,Justin Burris, Anderson,Enunwa, etc... Whether he can build a cohesive unit or become a legit in game strategist...well that's another story..but identifying talent & developing talent I actually feel pretty good about w. him.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If I say that I want to start at QB for the Jets this season, will you guys start a thread about it?

Because I do. Nobody else wants me to, but I want to.

Noam and Martin&theJETS like this.
  8. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Of course McCown wants to start; I'd be upset if he didn't.

That being said, unless Hackenberg is completely incapable of running the offense, he should start.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Right.

Last time backup QB was used right was in 1979-1980.

Walsh hung him out to dry - DeBerg was mercilessly murdered in the pitch all season long in 1979, then his life as a 9er was mercifully terminated once Montana assumed command deep into 1980 season. He was canned unceremoniously right after that season. Also it should be noted that, his fate was sealed before the 1979 season, when Montana was drafted.

It's not even like DeBerg was old or anything - he was about 26 or so at that particular time. Walsh just didn't deem him good enough, so he let his backup QB get killed every week. [Montana learned a lot just by watching DeBerg get murdered drive after drive. Then Walsh would give him some instructions on how not to play QB, etc.]

==================================

So I don't mind McClown starting. Looks like this is a west-coast tradition if anything. If either Petty or Hack learns how to play QB effectively, by watching McClown get killed all season long, then it's all worth it.

#69 Zach, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed, he needs to state he wants to start. He needs to push Pettenberg into taking the job, earning the job through effort and preparation. In regards to McCown's salary .. what the Jets are paying him is close to what he has been making throughout recent years.

2014 [​IMG] $4,750,000
    2015 [​IMG] $5,250,000
    2016 [​IMG] $4,375,000

Make him content with a few extra bucks so he can rub off some of his experience positively .. I'm not upset by it. Chump Change towards a good purpose.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The one thing all the new coaches have in common is that they are known to be hands on and developmental coaches. QBs coach Jeremy Bates may have been out of the NFL but was developing QBs at Mike Shanahans QB Masters Project. CBs coach Dennard Wilson helped mold young CBs and helped turn around the Rams pass defense. RBs coach Stump Mitchell and LBs coach Kevin Greene also drew compliments for their player development. They all fall into our youth movement plan and are suited for it. As far as John Morton goes, he's already asking for higher tempo practices. How many games did our offense come out playing flat in recent years?!! If anything, he's already taken a measure in the right direction.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If Hack or Petty can't beat out McCown they don't deserve to start. What else is the guy supposed to say? "Uhh, yeah, my plan is to lay down for these rookies to win the job."

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

#TheMichaelVickapproach

dawinner127 likes this.