Woody Johnson: New Direction For Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, May 2, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Not sure what he's talking about. Didn't Idzik go young and accumulate picks?

2. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Idzik cleaned up the cap hell we were in. Couldn't draft for beans though so it didn't matter how many picks he had

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm getting a little creeped out that you can't find a picture of his brother. What is this, Charlie's Angels?

FJF likes this.
  5. JethroTull

Mangini drafted Gholston

6. JethroTull

Well that's the whole issue with that strategy. It only works if you actually hit on your draft picks.

Since 2009 what long term starters have the Jets drafted? I could only think of Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, and Quincy Enunwa. One for each of our last three GM's.

legler82 likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Talk is cheap.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I see some light here

IMO the Owner wants to let Mac do his thing

Plus no one on management is fired if we tank 2017...we get those premium picks (FQB) in the 2018 Draft

Gotta be done

jmho

JetLifeLo likes this.
  9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

You guys can bash him all you want for his past... I understand..

but to me.. man this is great. I couldn't wait to hear this guy talk like he has some sense for once. Finally he sees the big picture.. and if not, he at least somewhat understands what Mac is trying to do and is willing to sit back & let Mac work. This is far from a "SOJ" message from Woody... looks like we're going to at least TRY and do things right for once.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol true! he needs to delete his social media apps and trust the process. If the stupid media wants to crucify a team that's clearly tanking then so be it.. that's their time wasted. The fans know whats up.. we all want to see the team win and be good for the long run.. we are sick of 1-2 year windows and rosters full of old washed up has-beens with a season left in the tank making big bank.

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It is absolutely hard to fathom that this is the first time in nearly two decades that they are all of a sudden thinking, "Hey, maybe we should build through the draft like most successful teams?!"

With that being said, if they are truly dedicating themselves to this process, I think that they can be a contending team in 2-3 years IF they hit on a few players. Teams that focus on the draft don't have to be right with all of their picks, but they have to hit a couple of their picks out of the park. Think Derek Carr and Khalil Mack for the Raiders. This team couldn't buy a winning season, but as soon as they draft two all-pro caliber players, they are now a top AFC team.

My concern with this process is not them losing games or struggling for a couple of years. I am worried that if we go 3-13 or worse that Woody will pull the plug prematurely on this regime. If you are encouraging a rebuild with the current front office, you need to allow multiple offseason to provide them the appropriate amount of time to draft young players and to develop them.

A rebuild that is focused on young players/draft is a fine plan, but you can still screw it up if you fire everyone after this season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Of course it sounds all well and good and can be considered just saying what the fans wanna hear.
    On the other hand some don't want to admit there mistakes and swallow their pride to try something new. I think this is where he falls so kudos to him. This is a big deal because he knows his ticket sales will plunder and that the new York media loves to plaster crap about the jets and this type of season will only get worse. I have a small sense of optimism so good on woody.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to remember is that there will always be people you cannot please and giving them too much weight is self-defeating.

Teams have rebuilding trenches and if Woody is willing to live through one the rewards on the other side are likely to be greater than what we've experienced thus far.

Just getting to the consistent 9 to 12 win plateau would be a huge step. Winning a Super Bowl a grand achievement.

TonyFtLaud and nicg4360 like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Woody should give Mac and Bowles a year extension to prove he's not BS'n

Brook! and FJF like this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

glad the Jets are finally doing it right and they are admitting it even though they won't use the "R" word. In the end the coach will say we are trying to make the playoffs every year. The bad thing is Bowles gets a free pass this year and even though we have a good plan it does not mean we execute it correctly and get good players. That said, I am not paying top dollar for this shit product so i gave up my STH after 36 years and will pick and choose my games from stub hub. If we ever get good again I might jump back in but I am done. I can't stand Bowles so even if we get talented we will never make the Super Bowl with this awful game day coach.

richieC likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Jamal Adams and probably Maye this year.
    Lee and probably Jenkins last year

Quite possibly more.

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I understand your reasoning for doing so, but I don't think that's necessary, and very easily could just lead to a waste of $s. The W-L figure this season shouldn't enter into the equation unless many of the games we lost were winnable and Bowles' poor game management, clock management, game decisions, and lack of adjustments are the reason.

I think it will be very easy to determine the following during the course of the season: if Bowles has learned anything from the last two seasons in terms of game management, clock management, having the team ready to play, in game adjustments, addressing problems, sticking with players too long, locker room/discipline issues, and if the younger players are developing. If Bowles doesn't show marked improvement in each of those areas, then it's simple...he shouldn't be back. Nothing could undermine a rebuilding team more than an incompetent HC who, along with his staff, can't teach and develop the young players and/or can't utilize the right systems to fit the talent and put the players in a position to succeed.

Unless none of Mac's picks from last year develop into quality starters, and half of this draft class flop along with Hack, I can't see Mac's job being in jeopardy at all.

richieC and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree with everything except possibly the last sentence. While it can be true, the opposite can also be true, and is probably true more often than not. Nothing can screw up a rebuild more than having an incompetent HC and CS who don't know how to teach and develop young players, who don't know how to put them in a position to succeed, and/or know how to develop a team identity.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If they are going to go through with the rebuild, they deserve some sort of security after trying to appease Woody and the fans by trying to win now the first 2 years. I don't want to put these guys in a lame duck GM / HC status.

Actually, it would be better to just wait until after the season should Bowles improve on certain qualities as well as Mac's picks. Should both show progress, then they should both get at least a 1 year extension.

Point taken.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Woody Johnson is a fucking clown and the Jets will never amount to anything so long as he owns the team. You can take that to the bank.

My recommendation to you is to stop investing time or energy in such a losing effort. Find a better franchise to root for, at least until someone else owns the team. You'll enjoy football more without these losers.

sec314 likes this.