Could this be a fun year for the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Regardless of where you stand on Hack, I would think it will be at least interesting to see him play this pre/regular season. Worst case scenario is that he is absolute trash and we lose the vast majority of our games. If that's the case, the silver lining is that we would have a top pick in a strong QB class.

I do not think that the Jets will be a 0-3 win team next season. My absurdly early prediction would be 4-6 wins. I don't think the roster can muster more than 6 wins, but I also don't see less than 4. Having said all of this, I will enjoy this season because it seems like there will be a lot of young players on the field. It is always exciting to see what cream rises to the top. I am also thrilled about our defense having a legit emotional/vocal leader. We needed one badly. We need Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, and Darron Lee all to play well and make plays.

If Hack can throw more TD's than Ints, that might actually be a sign of development.

Br4d likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seattle wasn't dealing with the Patriots.

The last thing I want the Jets to do is have a middling mediocre season that locks us out of a real QB pick in the next draft and continues the 4 to 10 win pattern we have been on for nearly two decades now.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I didn't want him to start last year. He obviously wasn't ready so there was no point in trying to ruin any career chances he had.

But how do such mediocre stats get you rated as a 1st round pick so early? The TD:INT ratio was decent but still. He looked like a huge project that'd take years of work he was so raw.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He wasn't that raw in terms of reading Ds and being in control of and running a pro style offense.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

The reason I brought up Seattle was because before and for awhile after Carroll got there they endured 7-9 seasons with qb's like Hasselbeck and Whitehurst & Tavaris Jackson before lucking into Wilson in the THIRD round. The point is, there is no guarantee that the first round is going to give you anything. In fact, there is only about a 30% chance, and don't see any upside to fostering a losing attitude.

Ron

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets won't be fostering a losing attitude. I don't understand where you get that. They're not tanking. Bowles isn't gonna be telling the players to not try, to lay down and let the other opponent win.

The Jets just have a lot of holes, little depth, and a HC, DC and STs coordinator who seem to not be very good. That and a tough schedule will be why they will lose a bunch of games, not because it's an organizational mandate.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This doesn't make sense. On paper we should have at the very least a NFL caliber defense. If we go 7-9 that means Hackenberg played relatively well. Why in that case would we be so desperate for the #1 pick if Hack shows flashes of being our QB of the future? Maybe Mac can't but a good GM should be able to find good players in the middle of the first round.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. legler82

2nd half? I'm praying he never plays.

9. legler82

Too early to write off Hack. Although he was aggressively putrid for most of the preseason, I advocate he showed more of a flash of having something in that first preseason drive than Geno did in 3 seasons. For that I have a little bit of hope.

#69 legler82, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Jets_Grinch likes this.
  10. legler82

Some of you guys are setting yourselves up for compounded disappointment. There's no guarantee we will be in position to grab a QB after enduring a miserable season. And if we are there no guarantee the QBs we are fawning over now will come out or be any good at the point next year. If Hack blows are future can be just as bleak as our past.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I kind if figured that went without saying, but you are right. There is no guarantee of success if the Jets suck this year. There is never guaranteed success.

However, I'll happily take my chances with next year's class having at least one potential franchise QB.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Another quoter who can't read people's posts.

In the one you quoted just where do I say draft a QB at number 1 ?

You won't find it as I didn't say it.

In a further post on the thread I do say that there are other players to draft at number 1, just like in this years draft and a guy of that calibre would help us no end as well.

In fact if you trawl my name you will find a guy that has often defended Hack, on numerous occasions and even in the post you quoted I said I want Hack to succeed.

I will say again though that 7-9 will be an unmitigated disaster of a season for us, it will leave us in no man's land once again, this is not good if you are rebuilding.

13. legler82

I read your post perfectly fine. The exact pick is irrelevant; the gist is that you rather we have a high pick and being somewhere in the middle would be "no man's land". I still say that makes no sense. As long as Hack shows promise the win loss record and where we pick means nothing. There's only an issue if Hack is "an unmitigated disaster" and we still manage to go 7-9; that's when you have the potential to be stuck in perpetual mediocrity and or below.

14. K'OB

Well you sit back and enjoy it all if we go 7-9 and blunder on for another 20 years of mediocrity, let's not forget to go orgasmic if we go 10-6 and nearly make the play off's and then follow it with more mediocrity :rolleyes:

My gist is to tank and build a team and an organisation that will last for 20 years+, if we end up with the number 1 pick I would be more in favour (like I have already outlined in this thread once) of us trading back down similar to how the Browns did this season and they ended up with three top talents on day 1 and another in 2018, a nice bit of drafting from an organisation that has been as woeful as us over the years, maybe they are learning, it would seem some of us in here are unwilling to take the hard miles and are satisfied with averageness and a losing season, unbelievable really.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A lot of variables go into whether this season will be fun. A big portion of this is how Hackenberg/Petty look, how does Bowles coach? Is there fight every single game? Do the draft picks/younger players on the team play their ass off?

I've maintained that this year isn't so much about winning, but how we look every Sunday. We can have a bad record and still look promising, but we can also look like dog shit and have a bad record. The latter would be far worse.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

First off, K'OB, this is not directed at you specifically. I pulled this quote because it there does seem to be a strong current on this board of fans who think that what the quote suggests is a real possibility.

I went back and looked at all the #1 overall picks (If the idea is that you tank to get a high pick, and #1 is the highest, even if you trade down, it's because somebody else wants #1 because of the perceived value of the top prospect) from the first common draft in 1968 through 2008 (I figure we can have some idea of a guy's long term impact after 8 years) to see how many of them made that kind of impact on their team.

Out of those 40 drafts, in my subjective opinion, there are 10 picks who, whether they played that long or not, had a 15+ year positive impact on the team that drafted them:

Ron Yary 1968
    OJ Simpson 1969
    Terry Bradshaw 1970
    Lee Roy Selmon 1976
    Earl Campbell 1978
    John Elway 1983*
    Bruce Smith 1985
    Troy Aikman 1989
    Peyton Manning 1998
    Eli Manning 2004

Like I said, it's subjective: Maybe someday Matt Stafford will make the list? Maybe Aikman doesn't really deserve to be on it because anybody could have won on that team? Maybe Too Tall Jones and Orlando Pace belong on here, because they were dominant at their positions for a while, but nowhere near 15 years. Maybe Earl Campbell shouldn't be on here because he wasn't a 15 year player by a long shot, but to me he's THE Houston Oiler, and he's THE power back in NFL history, and it's been way more than 15 years since he last laced up.

*Elway was drafted by the Colts, but played every snap of his career with the Broncos. The Colts got rookie Guard Chris Hinton, who went on to become an 8x Pro Bowler, and 3x All-Pro, QB Mark Herrmann, a backup, and the Broncos 1984 1st rounder, used to select Ron Rolt, OG, who ended up playing 5 years for them in two stints, earning one Pro Bowl appearance. --So yeah, tank for Elway sounds like a plan, but tank for two Guards and a backup QB is a terrible plan. Maybe the Jets should think about recreating the Broncos plan, instead of trying to recreate the Colts plan?

Long post, sorry.

The point is, history doesn't support the hypothesis that a team can tank for a year and turn that into a dynasty. MAYBE a 25% chance? The odds are better for lucking into a Tom Brady or a Russell Wilson. The REAL way to get ahead is to fleece a bad team, the way the Cowboys did in trading away Herschel Walker, or the way the Broncos traded for a disgruntled Elway.

K'OB likes this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

trouble is the two or three teams that will contend with us for the #1 spot (Browns, Niners and Rams) are all likely to be in the market for a QB themselves so if there is a really hot QB prospect I just dont see them trading out

Cman68 likes this.
  19. K'OB

20. K'OB

I also didn't mean for a player to be at he Jets for 20 years, just to make us as an organisation competent for 20 years by getting everything in place over the next three seasons, there is a reason the same teams are generally up at the top of the pile year on year, yes it can go wrong and things can be cyclical, my early era it was the Bears dominant and their fans must be wondering wtf went wrong for them, now we have to deal with the Pats and as much as we hate them they seem to have the knack of turning anything they touch into gold, other teams cast offs become pro bowl, this is what we need to be doing, just without all that cheating of course lol