UDFA begins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by njjets93, Apr 29, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I like my FB's smart, and obviously with good lead blocking traits.
    But that's not enough anymore. To earn a valuable spot on the 53, they have to be position versatile and contribute on specials.

Firsker being an accomplished receiver with H-back versatility is very interesting, especially if we playing a west coast O.
    i think he'll play specials too.

pretty much everything Bohanon wasn't......for that matter, when was last time we had a FB who was a receiving threat or versatile at all?

2. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Not at all impressed with Evans. I would love have him come in and prove me wrong, but he is very erratic. Most of his completions are short flats and slants.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I still think we should give this kid Tyler "Tarzan" Scalzi a shot.. He can plug in at FB, TE, LB, and Long Snapper. He would at least be great on special teams. I saw where 4 or 5 teams were negotiating with him.. regretfully not the Jets..

What do you guys think,, here is his pro day workout.

"the 6-foot-4, 238-pound Scalzi seized the opportunity to impress.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 37 times – more than any player at this year’s NFL scouting combine.

He knocked out a 4.69-second 40-yard sprint, a 36-inch vertical jump and a 10-6 standing broad jump. He did the shuttle drill in 4.2 seconds and the L-drill in 7.03.

In the wake of that performance, Scalzi’s drawn praise for his mobility, his ability to run routes, catch and adapt to different concepts."

#63 njjets93, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The guy was totally off everyone's radar because of his height. After his pro day where he threw 63mph + made all the throws including many that other top qb prospects avoid, 8-9 teams reached out to his agent.

The only games I saw him erratic were when his offensive line was over matched (Ohio State for sure!). I'm super impressed with his composure and overall arm talent (power and accuracy). His footwork and athleticism, less so...

Is he perfect, nope... but at least he can consistently throw a screen pass which is more than Hackenberg has been able to muster to this point of his football career.

When you sign a rookie like this, you're not looking for a perfect specimen, they all have warts. You want some sort of x-factor that makes him different from others. This guy has that with his arm...

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Darren Carrington. Royce Freeman and Tyrell Crosby would have been picks but Willie Taggart got them to stay at Oregon. He's one of the best recruiters I've ever seen. And my guess is the Jets will be looking at Justin Herbert in a year. He's got the upside of a first round pick.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  7. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Soylent I hope your right. I don't know much about him but the game that was attached above showed me a lot of completions on short stuff and a lot of inaccurate throws. I criticize other people for trying to appear as a know it all or expert on these kids so my opinion is limited to that game and I hope that was an anomaly and would love for him to succeed.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't get this stuff i.e. Anthony Jennings. Denied another full year of eligibility, why was he denied staying in school? I really just don't get this stuff. What if he said, screw football, I'm going into nuclear particle physics and that's why I want to stay, what happens then? Just a question.

Heh, that just made me think of Leland Melvin. What a cool dude. And it's a great, great story. Drafted by the Lions, pulled a hammy, went to the Cowboys, and studied engineering at night. Gets better, pulls his hammy again, career ends, goes to NASA, studies to be an astronaut, loses his hearing during training, fights to get cleared and gets shot into space. You've gotta be shitting me.

[​IMG]

And those are his rescue pups, of course. I think his Lions jersey is in Canton for being the only NFL player to not be - spacey.

#68 jetophile, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree that Cole Mazza would be a good signing. 4 year starter at Alabama and steady as a rock and as you say, would make a nice cap saving without downgrading the position.

10. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

NFL Diamonds reports that Tyler "Tarzan" Scalzi will attend Jets mini camp.. Our problems are solved, lol. Seriously though he may be of some help. He is like the proverbial swiss army knife.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He did 37 reps on the bench :eek:

12. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Kids is an big time athlete. Check out his pro day video I posted above.. He has size. Strong. Good vert and long jump also. The last half of the pro day Mahomes is throwing him passes.. he shows he has pretty good hands. To top it off he could handle the long snapping.

13. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Damn 63 mph? Guys got a cannon. I really did not even know about him. I'll have to look up so film on him but being picked up as a UDFA I can't imagine being mad that MAC Picked him up

14. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The following is a list of those invited to mini camp that DID NOT get signed as an UDFA.

NY JETS TRYOUTS

Toby Baker, P, Arkansas

Cole Mazza, LS, Alabama

Anthony DiMarsico, WR, William Patterson

Darius Victor, RB, Towson

Keevan Lucas, WR, Tulsa

Dane Evans, QB, Tulsa

Anthony Jennings, QB, Louisiana-Lafayette

Rashard Davis, WR, James Madison

Kevin Malloy, OL, Albany

Barrett Gouger, OL, Vanderbilt

Rashad Dillard, EDGE, Troy

Hayden Carman, DL, Tulsa

15. Reminds me alittle of Lawrence Thomas...doesn't bring a significant amount as a pass rusher...but can at least get a push & can fill alot of different roles.

Not the most fluid player in space, but compensates w. long arms,bend & motor. good w. his hands,decent at setting/bending the edge..& has know how to get of blocks. He certainly has some tools to work w to be a good pass rusher...

Truth be told think I like this guy better than Donahue..based off the very limited youtube

blackssmagic and egelband like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Tarzan came to the right spot. We have the worst TEs in all of the league. All he has to do is figure out a way to beat out some warm bodies. With Seferian-Jenkins suspended week 1 that makes it even easier. Even if he can't play TE as well, if he's good on special teams why not keep him over some of the other scrubs. The opportunity is there for the taking, if he busts his ass out there who knows, I wish him well

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The New York Jets announced (per Rich Cimini) Friday that they’ve officially agreed to terms with eight undrafted free agents including:

• Austin Calitro/LB/Villanova
    • Xavier Coleman/CB/Portland State
    • Brisly Estime/WR/Syracuse
    • Anthony Firkser/FB/TE/Harvard
    • Patrick Gamble/DL/Georgia Tech
    • Connor Harris/LB/Lindenwood
    • Javarius Leamon/OT/South Carolina State
    • Gabe Marks/WR/Washington State

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

That's three guys, including 5th rd. pick Dylan Donahue, that they're trying to strike gold with as an outside pass rusher. Obviously they're not blue chips, but maybe we get lucky.
    It's like trying to get lucky with a QB later in the draft. Keep taking them, and signing them, if a blue chipper doesn't land in your lap in the first round.
    I guess Mauldin is on notice also.

19. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

I can only go by highlight reels, but I do have some hope for Estime and Calitro. Estime looks like a dynamic returner and possibly a shifty slot receiver. One word comes to mind for Calitro, instinct. Cuts off the ball carrier's path, and seems to feel the blocker with his eyes on the QB when pass rushing. Fingers crossed!

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Brisly Estime would make a good name for a hardcore band.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.