After the post-draft blues

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

... and this fucking allergy.

1. Jets revamped their secondary.

Yeah. 4 players in one draft. Last team to pull that off successfully was the SB winning 1981 SF 49ers. Clearly Bowles hated the CBs he had last year, and it shows. Let's see if he can mold a CB out of the two low round draftees.

And safeties. Pryor was more of a box safety, and Jamal certainly fills a need. I wasn't expecting Maye pick, but I'm willing to give them a chance.

All in all, this looks more like [future] move than [now] move.

2. A lot of youth influx in the special team.

This was encouraging. Jets sucked hard at ST department for some time, and it's about time they did something about it.

==========================================

3. No OL help

Maybe that couldn't be helped. Jets roster as of now is a hot mess, and clearly the FO thought the secondary and ST were the two biggest holes to fill come draft time. Looks like they did just that.

4. So what about LBs or QBs?

Maybe the FO thinks the LBs are not that big of a problem. Maybe they are willing to give Petty and Hackenberg a chance. [But that chance will have to be consummated next year, when they can finally draft for some offense.]

==========================================

I am growing on this selection. As long as they can find a contributors out of this draft, I'm a happy man.

#1 Zach, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is this your apology to the forum for the last thread?

Catfish Billy, Jets69 and Br4d like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The article below does a good job explaining the trade downs.

We tried accumulating picks to build up the special teams type units. I would've liked to see us get a runningback earlier and another offensive lineman rather than two receivers back to back, but it is what it is.

We'll likely keep 7 now with Decker-Enunwa-Anderson-Peake-Patton-Hansen-Stewart.

Hopefully Maye finally breaks the trend of shitty fucking second round picks. We also must be pretty confident that Juston Burris is going to be a good contributor next year by passing over a ton of NFL ready corners.

With that being said I'm truly against building around corners. I'd rather live and die with two good safeties than two good corners. Would've liked to see us nab Roderick Johnson or Desmond King, a couple of players that looked like NFL ready players that fell into the 5th.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ur-picks-into-seven-while-making-five-trades/

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We were'nt fixing all our problems in 1 draft so I'm pretty happy about what we drafted...ST needed help in the worst way and we seem to have addressed that , along with getting 2 plug & play S's to shore up a DB unit that should be in jail for stealing $ last season.

We got a TE that we've all been crying for for years and we added depth to our recieving corps...not too bad imo.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a good draft. The Jets operated like a rebuilding team should and played the lottery for both immediate effect and the chance to get lucky in the latter part of the draft.

I really like the first 5 picks in terms of their chances to be immediate contributors.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

not a colle

Not a college football guy so I don't have a strong feeling. Once again no edge rusher on the first few and I was surprised they did not get a little more beef

7. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

1. Marcus Maye. That's what it all comes down to. Honestly, look at the second round and you will see a lot of our presumed targets were taken before Maye anyways. I am hopeful and feel much better now than draft.

2. Stewart and Hansen are good picks. Stewart is very underrated and will be a day one starter imo.

3. We have holes all over. We could only address so much. Until we get a QB, it's fine to suck and build through the draft. We just need to move Sheldon and Pryor now for picks next year. A young D of Wilkerson, Williams, Lee, Maye, and Adams is good. Cornerbacks will come and go. We have Claiborne who was a top5 pick. CB will always be available but safeties are a fine a dozen.

4. Next year won't be pretty. But we need to tank correctly to get Darnold. Still think Clevland will be worse.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Only pick I wish they had gotten was Godwin, I liked him a lot, don't know too much about the Alabama WR.

Other than that, I'm ok with it.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I didn't expect all our problems to go away in one offseason like some around here, so I'm content.

I didn't want a QB in this draft, I want to see what we have in Hackenberg/Petty in 2017 and get a definitive answer since we invested picks in them.

10. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

That's the feeling I ended up getting from this draft. It made me wonder if the new guy is giving this regime more time than Woody would have.

Br4d likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

My take on drafting safeties 1 and 2 is that clearly this staff doesn't forsee Pryor as a long term solution, so more than likely they'd be looking at using a high pick in next year's draft on a safety anyway. IMO opinion they're giving up on Pryor too early, but it's much easier to move on from a previous regime's picks. Nevertheless, they liked Mayes enough to adjust the timeline of when they would be filling the void that Pryor's eventual departure would create.

After that, I like the WR's and TE selections. The rest are ST and depth anyway, so why not accumulate as many of those picks as possible and hope you really hit on one that is more of a contributor?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I felt all along the Jets were not in the position to draft a QB with all the holes they had and with the 2 young QB's that needed to be put on the field for the staff to know what they had for the future. Not picking a QB and addressing other needs was a smart move.

As soon as Adams fell to them at 6 i knew at that moment it was game over as far as them trading down. Mac and Bowles must have been so exited that they threw the phone out the window. Adams and Maye are going to solve much of the secondary problems for quite a while - no more safeties, please!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The one thing I've noticed is that Mac and Bowles clearly are looking at high character/leadership players. I think Pryor and Richardson fully go against that mentality. I wouldnt be surprised to see one, or both go before the season starts. No idea of the cap implications.

This team has the potential to be very bad next year, but I think they will be the good kind of bad that shows a very hungry team. The secondary will be flying all over the place, which I am very excited to see.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I couldn't breathe. Much less think. [Fuck this allergy, man.]

But yes. This was to counteract the verbal diarrhea I had earlier. :p

============================================

A few more that I missed earlier:

1. No Trubisky:

THANK YOU, BEARS!!

Seriously, this year's QB crop blows. I'm glad Jets didn't bother with any.

2. OL crop:

Wasn't too strong either. Maybe there was a reason this FO filled ST and secondary first. [CBs were strong in this draft.]

3. I was hoping they would pick Jordan Willis in Rd 3, but that didn't happen. Instead they picked Dylan Donahue later. This looks more like ST move than edge rusher move to me. Maybe they will pick an LB next year. Who knows?

#14 Zach, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    abyzmul likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your tough time with allergies. I've suffered with allergies for most of my life, so I can understand. Mine are finally under control, thank God.

Yeah, I really wanted Jordan Willis in Rd. 3 as well. I'd like to learn why they passed on him.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Just blame it on Idzick again :D

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I honestly feel that this roster isn't as bad as some make it seem...It really comes down to what happens with Hack and Petty in training camp and preseason.Now that the negative veteran presence is gone we should be on our way.

BomberJet likes this.
  18. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

This draft came out much better then I expected. The pick for Adams was great. He has both the skills and kind of leadership needed. The next pick was a chance to completely strengthen our secondary. The WR's and the TE are really needed. Chances that Decker will never hit the field in a Jet uniform. Plenty of beef and ST'ers in the rest. They actuality traded down with good results. We won't win many this year but at least I will enjoy watching a secondary that doesn't give up yard after yard.

BomberJet likes this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

We know one thing. Bowles wants his corners to come and press their men. Burris is a big guy at 6'1", they went and got a guy who tore his ACL and would have went higher had he not and played at Michigan, physical corner who can press. The other guy was 6'2" and big enough to play up at the line and green to the position.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I just look at the roster and think "who on this team would start on a playoff quality squad" and you can count them on one hand (if that)