Is this the end of Eric Decker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Apr 28, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is one of the first things I've agreed with you on, but I agree with you 100% on this. This season should be for finding out this very thing. Finding out if Hack or Petty can be our QB of the future, finding out if Enunwa can step it up and be our #1 WR, seeing if Shell can be a solid starter, seeing if ASJ can stay healthy and start maximizing his potential, seeing if Wesley Johnson can handle the center position, seeing if Pryor can return to 2015 form and improve on that, seeing which, if any players from last year's PS can step it up and make the roster, and determining who is a player, who isn't, and who is gonna help us going forward.

JethroTull and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

they can save a ton of cap room by cutting harris, decker, gilcrest, and mcclendon.
    carrying that space forward into next year would help if any decent free agent qbs shake loose.

they sure are not super bowl/playoff material this year. smart management would plan long term and save that money.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I do hope that they will cut Gilchrist, but doubt it will happen since Bowles likes him. If they do, it will probably because either he isn't healthy or they need the $4,265,000 cap space they could gain. They'd still have a $2.75 million dead money cap charge.

Even though they could save $6.5 million cap space by cutting Harris, who's gonna start alongside Lee at ILB? Cutting McClendon would only give them $2,171,875 in cap space (and a $1.75 million dead money cap charge) and other than Simon, who would play the nose? This isn't a tank job. The team is still going to try to win games.

With regards to Decker, there's more to consider than just the $5.75 million cap space they could save. If they plan on starting either Hack or Petty, then he will need reliable receivers he can trust. Decker is proven and reliable. Decker can also help mentor all the Jets' young WRs. They can see his attitude, work ethic, etc. He can give them tips on certain defenders, how to get open, how to find holes in zones, etc. They'd also still have a $3 million dead money cap charge.

IMO, the best way to gain cap space is to move Richardson. They'd save his entire $8,069,000 cap charge with no dead money.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed all the way. If Decker is rehabbing nicely and on pace for the season, I don't see the value in letting him go.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Hopkins will stay put in Houston if Watson appears to be the guy for them.
    Alshon, Matthews and Pryor, pass.
    Adams is nice, but he may be a product of AR12.
    Allen Robinson has the stuff, but goes ghost some games for an offensive heavy Jags team.
    Landry is a burner for sure, would be nice.
    Brown I really don't know enough about to comment.
    Edelman is too NE for our liking lol.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I know this aint baseball, but I would trade Decker before the deadline if we only are like 1-4. A playoff bound team with an injured receiver could be interested and we could accumulate picks and let all the young guys start.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Because they're all sure things?

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

No but we're rebuilding. Although we want to try to win, if the team looks bad at the beginning of next season then whats the point of continuing to play Decker? If we suck like I think we will then our QB play is probably also bad and having Decker on the team is then pointless.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Decker needs to take a class in wall climbing!

10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

There is no question this season is a dress rehearsal. As far as decker is concerned his job is very much in jeopardy. Enunwa is developing into a premier receiver and Stewart is going to be given every opportunity to win the job as well as Robbie Anderson. This season is all about the youth of the team developing a chemistry and progressing with their skills. Decker is not in the long term plans with his age and injury concerns. If he comes back and plays well he may find a roster spot but it's unlikely.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Dont get the Decker hate,These guys haven't taken an NFL snap yet and we are talking about getting rid of one of the best playmakers we have.

PulseJet likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

People were saying the same about Cardle Jones now he's 4th on the Bills QB depth chart.I remember the idiots saying "Tank for Cardle Jones" and the " Cardele Jones Sweepstakes"...He wasn't even taken on day 2

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Decker is our best player lmao!!! Arguably he's been that since the day he signed... Let the man play out his contract... Even when he first got here people were screaming OVERPAID lol! what?!

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

As its currently formulated, the offense is a bit too lean on veterans. I'm all in on a youth movement, but I think a guy like Decker could help the young guys develop into pros. Same way I thought about Mangold. In fact, I think not having Mangold as the center hurts Hack and Petty some.

So I'm for keeping Decker, unless he becomes disgruntled or if some playoff hunting team pays up for him.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No. . This is on the end of Eric Decker's pecker.

[​IMG]

another solid thread

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

fixed that for you.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think Decker plays the 2017 season with the Jets and is released next offseason. Our receiving core is still too young, and is still unexperienced. His leadership is invaluable for the upcoming season.

18. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

This team and Quincy Enuwa need Eric Decker this year. I understand the concerns with injuries, but he had 2/3 productive years in NY- and I think he will bounce back strong.