***Official 2017 Draft Thread***

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

They obviously didn't love anyone left and feel like similar value will be available at 125 to what they got now

I'm sure they looked on their board and saw a good 18-20 players they would be fine with vs what they could have picked at 107

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Hopefully a sleeper safety.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's ironic that you hold up the "analysts" as geniuses we should listen to, while others knock those same analysts for the mock drafts, player evaluations, projections, etc. Mel Kiper is a moron. I don't see how he has kept a job. Mayock is wrong as much, if not more than he's right.

I'm not assuming that every worthy TE is going in the first 18 picks of the 4th round, but we desperately need a TE, and it's not worth the risk imo. Trading down only to trade back up is equally stupid imo. Just stay put and take the players you need.

I also don't think Mac got good value for the trade down.

kevda5n9ne and babyknight like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is just backwards thinking to me. If you think your guy is going to be there later on, why not grab an extra pick? Also if Macc is on the same "holy crap we need a TE or the draft is a failure" wavelength, maybe all he did was look at the 4th round draft order and realize the likelihood of four of those teams taking a TE is low.

So again I ask, why reach for someone when you're being offered an extra pick to potentially grab the same guy or someone of equal value a day later?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I quite like our draft up to this point

6. NCJetsfan

If Mac truly thinks a player he wants will be there later, fine. I didn't say the draft would be a failure if they don't get a TE. Don't put words in my mouth. It would be typical Jets' "luck" (really Mac's stupidity) if all 4 of those TEs are gone by #125. If they are, I will be royally pissed. I really want to continue trusting and liking him, but for every good move he makes, he makes 1-2 head scratching or stupid ones imo.

IMO they wouldn't have been reaching for one of the TEs, but if they had them all rated lower, fine. I don't believe in "reaching." Again, it's funny to me that the "analysts" think this was a great move, yet they had Leggett and Perine rated as 3rd round picks, and getting one of them at #107 would have been excellent value and would have been a player who can help the team.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm happy with this draft. In all aspects. I think Mac has done a fantastic job.

You find quality players late in rounds every year. There's always quality to be had, so getting more chances at that, especially being a rebuilding team, is a great thing.

I don't know why your so hung up on the TE position overall. If we don't get much out is the TE position next year, it would just be another year of that. We have literally had almost zero production from that position in two years.

In no way would it matter if we get a stud TE for this upcoming year because it's going to be a struggle regardless. Right now, taking as many quality players as you can to give yourself the best chance at success In the future is 100% the way to go.

I understand the immediate frustration you may have but think about the long haul. Next year doesn't matter anyway.

MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm hung up on the TE position because it's a freaking disgrace that the position has not been addressed in 3 drafts. It's not about the upcoming season. I know it's going to be a wash, but the position and the offense needs to be addressed. It often takes TEs a couple of years to develop, so imo this is the year to get one, so that he's ready by 2019. We have a new/rookie OC and will probably have Hack or Petty starting and they need all the help they can get. IMO getting a good TE should have been a top priority, especially after all the picks that have gone to D over the last 7-8 years.

I'm as frustrated as the other Jets fans by the Jets always drafting D and ignoring the offense in a game where offense is king. It's backwards and stupid imo. I'm fed up with the stupid former DCs as HCs.

I get that this wasn't the year to address the OL and that the top prospects were mostly D players, but this is a great year to get a TE, and imo there will be no excuse if Mac winds up failing to address the position.

PulseJet and babyknight like this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Your right. In last nights press conference Mac didn't say much, but did allude to their looking at the TE position in the draft. So I'll hold my opinion until the end of today. If they grab one, and a few more skill position players then I would view this draft positively.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind Peterman & Butt at some point today

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

how is the running back value right now? there is still starters at the position today?

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Mac has said time and time again he thinks OL in the mid rounds are the best value.

I expect the 5th round picks to be OL.

I expect the 4th rounder to be TE, RB, CB, LB whichever is avail w best value.

13. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Perine from Oklahoma is still on the board

14. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I'm confused...didnt the Jets have another 3rd round pick this year?

15. RubenDias

any good OL starter material on the board?

16. RubenDias

they traded down we got an extra 4th 5th and 6th today beside our own picks.

17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Hoping Chad Hansen falls to us. Kid is a stud!

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. More picks is fine with me.

19. NCJetsfan

After a night's rest and time to reflect, I like the trade down as long as the Jets still get a TE, and a PR would be nice. We can always sign a camp cut RB to be part of the RB committee.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I'm borderline on the Marcus Maye pick.

I think he's a fantastic player AND despite us picking up a solid safety in the first he IS still a need (Gilchrist's knee exploded in december, remember? I'm guessing the Jets FO knows a little bit more about just how bad it is than you and me).

That said, I can't help but wonder if CB was the better value here, with Quincy Wilson still on the board.

The 3rd-round trade down was hard for me, because Pat Eflein was one of my draft crushes, and I figured he could be a day 1 starter with Travis Frederick potential. And look at that, our trade partner went up to get him.

I'm trying to stay optimistic about the Ardarius Stewart pick, he showed great YAC ability at Alabama, but there isn't really a second trait there to fall in love with and seal the deal for me - I don't see elite speed, elusiveness, route-running, hands, etc. That said, the Alabama offense last year especially was not a place with much room for a WR to shine. I think he COULD be a solid slot receiver in a West Coast offense, but I can't help but think we'd have gotten more milelage out of an every-down starter standing pat than with a receiver who needs some growing room in round 3.