More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Looks like the current regime is betting their jobs on Hackenberg. Let's see how that goes.

2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It makes me feel better that they are aren't kicking the tires on any of the QB's. I gotta admit. Macc isn't afraid to take chances.

3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Agree, betting careers on Hack...

Pretty crazy stuff based on the majority of his college tape and preseason last year.

legler82 likes this.
  4. pdxdrew

At least they aren't short changing the team by betting on some air raid QB none of us have heard about. They aren't just throwing more picks away.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Its encouraging that the FO must have some confidence in Petty or Hack to have not drafted a QB yet. I guess we'll have to keep tabs during OTA and camp.

richieC likes this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Yep, agree... but I sort of would have liked to see them move down in rd. 1 to pick#27, take TJ Watt, get an extra 2018 1st (may need amo to get that qb next year) also Maye in rd. 2 becomes a better pick as you can play Pryor as a SS...

7. pdxdrew

Macc just laughed when they asked about all the QB trades in the first round. Yeah. I think we are going with Hackenberg!

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Every third round pick is a shot in the dark. Might as well make it on a QB when we need one more than any other team in the league.

9. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Or they just didn't like this years qbs and like next years crop. Also want to give Hack a chance. Kid hasn't even played a regular season game yet.

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I think it's a combo of both and Petty shouldn't be ruled out either. This summer will be interesting to follow.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nothing would be better or more fortunate for the franchise than Hackenberg or Petty stepping up and becoming a solid NFL Starter. I think it is possible. Especially Hack.

almbleamal and Pags2112 like this.
  12. lockgang

lockgang Member

Really can't believe petty and hack are on this team. It's ok, a better QB is coming in 2018.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Wishful. Thinking.
    I think Hack will get a shot at least, I mean he was drafted in the second round and red shirted for a season but whatever. Maybe he is good, maybe not but there is no guarantee A) We get a top 2 or 3 pick and B) Wether any of them look as good this year or even come out for the draft. Not picking a QB at any point in this draft speaks volumes to me, you can't pray a QB falls into your lap a year from now much less expect it

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I see no point in taking a QB just for the sake of taking a QB. The Jets have holes and this was a deep draft. I also don't think it would have been wise from a snaps perspective. If the Jets truly do believe in Hack and Petty or at least believe in giving them a decent shot at proving they belong (as it appears they do), then they need all the reps they can get. Giving a bunch of reps to some QB just because would be pointless imo, and not in Petty's, Hack's or the team's best interests. IMO it's better to give them a shot, see what they truly can do, and then if one or both don't have what it takes, they can be replaced next season in what will be almost certainly be a better draft for QBs.

hwismer likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

If Mac didn't hedge his bets by taking a QB in this draft, it says to me that he's very confident in Hack and/or Petty, and isn't worried that he may not get one next year.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Giving them a shot and drafting a QB are mutual inclusive as both can exist simultaneously.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure he's very confident that one of them can do the job, but I do think he's committed to the plan he has for them, and won't give up on that until they prove him wrong by their play on the field. I have to assume then that he's seen enough of them to believe one or both can work out, even if the rest of us haven't seen that. As a former NY'er, I'm a glass half empty" type of guy, so with no other evidence to go on I expect the worst, but there are people - a lot here on this board who are of the "glass half full" variety and without any contrary evidence are hopeful that one or both will work out. I hope they're right - and Macc is too - and I'm wrong.

One thing I draw from this draft and FA season is that whatever Macc's plan is, he's sticking to it, so that's either going to be good in the long run, or set the Jets back years if his plan doesn't work.

almbleamal and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think it's good that he believes in himself and his plan if nothing else. There's nothing worse than a wishy-washy GM, who continually second-guesses himself.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I tend to believe in a guy who believes in himself, and will give him the benefit of the doubt - even if I may openly disagree with him - until he gives proof otherwise. So far he hasn't given me proof - either way - so I'll go along for the time being.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Here is the list of QBs drafted in the 2nd round going back 25 years. Hopefully Hack is the exception not the rule like Brees and Dalton.

Matt Blundin
    Tony Sacca
    Kordell Stewart
    Todd Collins
    Tony Banks
    Jake Plummer
    Charlie Batch
    Shaun King
    Quincy Carter
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Drew Brees
    Kellen Clemens