Only one in 2017?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 27, 2017.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

may have been the worst draft, we traded our first pick for Jolly and drafted Nugent, A FREAKING KICKER, with our 2nd

[​IMG]

xxedge72x and BomberJet like this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Every 1st round prospect that's ever been is a potential 1st rd bust and the Jets have probably picked one at each and every position. I suppose we should forfeit our pick then? Howard is just about as safe a pick as this team can make.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This is the first time in decades that I have zero interest in this draft..in fact I would rather watch NY-Boston tonight and probably will. I couldn't stomach watching this imbecile pick another defensive whatever.

4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Maybe , maybe not - very few knocked the Johnny Mitchel pick at THAT time

5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Report on ROTOworld (take with a grain of salt) Dalvin Cook falls to round 2.

If by some miracle he fell to us in round 2 that would be....well a miracle

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Either way, the argument that we shouldn't select a prospect because a prospect busted at the same position over 15 years ago is just about the most absurd thing I've heard as far as the draft goes.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That would be absurd and awesome. Run to the podium and make the pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bust.

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Let's Go Rangers! Clap Clap ClapClapClap!

I haven't been following the draft process much, so I don't have any preconceived ideas about who to take. Besides, every year we hear from pundits and amateurs who live and die with each pick. I get that it can be fun prognosticating by watching YouTube clips, but in the end, even the guys who have spent their careers evaluating talent admit that this is a big crap shoot.

I'll be excited with our picks and would love to see a few trade downs to accumulate more picks. Once we make the picks, I will then research the players, weigh how they fit in to our team, and monitor their progress before slowly making an opinion on whether they are worthless schlubs.

I'll get excited to read camp reports, watch a few preseason games, and then see if this team can surprise me. The bar has been set REALLY low, so hopefully there will be some bright spots over the course of the season.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Actually thought that was a good pick.

- Came right after the Doug Brien miss.
    - Vinateri making clutch kicks for the Pats all season long.
    - Nugent, one of the highest rated kickers to come along in a while.
    - Jets had a solid line up on both sides of the ball.

So why not? Never forget his first FG attempt, slipping on the turf and I'm thinking only the Jets could this happen to!

11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Get ready for that Jamal Adams jersey!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Our history of drafting first round tight ends is not good. Overall have their been first round tight ends that have been great? Over the last 20-30 years I can't think of any that jump out to me. I think there is value in the 2nd and third this year that I'd prefer. If you can guarentee me that Howard is Gronk I'll do it. I found this. Quickly looked at it. There's been some success but a tight end in the first round isn't where we need to go today. This is based on our past history and other things this team needs.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/3/23/15035028/success-rates-of-drafting-a-tight-end-nfl-draft

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're planning to be ready to call for Mac's head by end of TC for drafting another shitty QB prospect way too high.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yet you pray at the altar of Rex.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Check out Doug Jolley's Wikipedia. It only has a section called "Life".

You know you're bad when even your Wiki is bad haha

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I think we can learn a LOT about the team this season...if Petty or Hack can be our QB of the future, if Bowles has learned anything at all or if he needs to be replaced ASAP, who can help us going forward, if we should keep Pryor and Mo, if Mac's earlier draft picks and/or FAs who have questions hanging over their heads (Devin Smith, Lee, Shell, Peake, Burris, Jalin Marshall, Richie Anderson, ASJ, Lac Edwards, and any others) develop or were wasted picks, if Mac should stay or go, if the team will be prepared for games and not beat themselves with mental errors and sloppy play, etc. We should see a high energy, hard-hitting, tougher team on the field this season. They'll make some mistakes from youth, but should also show potential and make some plays as a result of that youthful energy and speed. We can watch David Harris' last season with the Jets and be thankful for his years of good play. Hopefully, it will be better than Revis' and Mangold's. We can see what Kevin Greene is able to do with our OLBs. We get to see a brand new OC and see how creative and effective he can be in making the Jets' offense more effective and efficient. This season should give us all hope for the future. If it doesn't, then we know that more changes need to happen.

17. NCJetsfan

I like your confidence in him. I wish I had it. I like him a lot, and won't be upset if the Jets roll the dice with him, and part of me truly hopes that they will, but he also scares the bejeebers out of me.

xxedge72x likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I understand that, but Howard is a totally different player from either of those two. There is a different GM and Scouting Team now than those that took Brady and Mitchell. There is no correlation. What you're feeling is irrational fear. It's certainly understandable considering the Jets and their draft history, and I hasten to admit that I have more of that irrational fear than I'd like, but it's still irrational, at least in some ways. It's hard to have trust in an organization that has screwed as often as the Jets have and which finds creative ways in which to let us down and mess things up. Unless Mac is grossly incompetent (which I don't think he is), at the very least, the Jets ought to come out of this draft with some of their holes fixed, and with some very solid players. At best, we could come out of it with a FQB or a perennial All Pro (if not HOF) S, TE or RB and other quality players.

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Dare to be great.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

20. NCJetsfan

I agree that teams have to dare or take calculated risks in order to achieve greatness.

The problem is that many times over the years in the draft, the Jets have either thought they were smarter than any other team, swung for the fences or dared to be great and failed miserably. The last thing this team can afford to do at this juncture is to swing for the fences and miss badly. If they did, the fans might actually revolt, grab Mac and tar and feather him, or turn in their PSLs and season tickets in droves, and I couldn't blame them if they did.

While the prospect of Mahomes being another Favre is exciting, Favre also probably cost the Packers about as many games as he won with his stupid interceptions. He never learned during his career and was still doing the same stupid things his last season that he was his rookie season. If the Jets take Mahomes, hopefully, he is smarter and more mature than Favre, and would be more coachable.

Particularly in a draft where we could draft a potential perennial All Pro S, RB or TE, it would be an especially egregious fail if Mac rolled the dice on Mahomes in the first round.

If I were Mac I wouldn't consider him before the 3rd round. If he rolls the dice on him and misses, he's done as a GM in the NFL following the 2018 season. Conversely, if he takes a safer pick like Adams, Howard, Fournette or maybe Hooker, or trades down and greatly improves the talent of the team and fills holes in this draft, he could still roll the dice next season and get that FQB and have many more years as an NFL GM.