Terrified they will take Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by forevercursed, Apr 25, 2017.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

This is my great fear right now. The draft is very deep (mostly with D) and where we sit, if we keep the pick the chances are high that we end up with a tremendous player who provides an instant upgrade at TE, CB, S, or perhaps Rb. If we trade the pick we can end up with a larger spread of players that will help us across a variety of positions.

Too much of what I see from Watson is intangible based. "Winner" etc. We can't be seduced by that. That's all well and good but when you look at the guys red flags it is pretty alarming and he is so far from a sure thing. I look at this guy and I can't help but see a slightly better Vince Young.

His Wonderlic was an unimpressive 20 and that is hard accepting that for your franchise QB. He still needs work under center. He does not throw a particularly good long ball. He locks on to primaries. Int prone. His footwork is messy. To be honest I think his arm strength is overrated. I've seen it rated as good. Looks pretty average to me.

We took Petty a few years ago, we still have Hackenberg as our current project. We foolishly took Geno as a project a few years ago and everybody knew he would never make it.

We cannot be seduced by these intangibles. In other drafts his skillset would project to the 3rd round.

In this draft with all of our other needs, you just cannot take a guy at 6 who's ceiling is probably Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor.

Nothing about him wows me. Trubisky beats him out in most metrics and I don't even want Trubisky. Watson will have an NFL career but it will be middling.

FlaJet, hwismer, Freddy Mondo and 4 others like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Watson doesn't have the highest ceiling but he has the lowest floor among the QBs in this draft.

You can't say he hasn't faced top competition.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bringing up his wonderlic score and comparing him to Vince Young killed this post for me.

TonyFtLaud, JetLifeLo and boozer32 like this.
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Maccagnan has drafted two QBs that had big arms, near or at the top of their respective draft classes. It seems that trait is valued which is why I'm not so worried about them going that direction.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He has... just to the tune of 20 TOs in 2016.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As I have mentioned many times regarding picking a QB in this years class,

For the Jets to draft a QB in the 1st round they must start him. They cannot afford not to waste a pick on a player destined for the bench - especially a 1st rounder - and especially when you have a team with so many other needs - you can't justify sitting a player picked that high when there are so many in the top 40-50 that have the potential to start.

Mac drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd then admits that the Hack pick was a mistake. I don't think he'll do that. Many here push it off like it's no big deal for him to shrug it off like it was a chewing gum wrapper. When your're a GM making those kind of decisions, and to not at least give your draft picks a chance to perform, that's not a mark of a good GM.

Watson's arm strength was clocked at about 49mph at the combines, from what I have read. To support a weak armed QB, Jets would have to incorporate a dink & dunk type of system with at least 1 very good TE. It's been said though that this years TE class is deep.......

Br4d, NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets are likely to take a QB on pick 107 or later. That's where the value in the draft is, and it will make Bryce Petty's tenure with the Jets very shaky.

I think they will get good prospects on 6, 39 and 70, hopefully trading down the 6 to increase the number of picks they make in the first 4 rounds.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He took down Alabama. Plays in the toughest conference and started more than 1 year and got better each year. I wouldn't be mad at this pick but it will make the Hackenberg drama even worst.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It would be worse if Hack WAS a mistake, and Macc refused to admit it. Besides, there's no rule or law that says he can't draft a QB - even with his first pick, and let him compete with Hackenberg and Petty - if the draftee beats them out, he deserves to start, so what's the problem?

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Think BIG guys Think a 2 year rebuild

Sorry I am blowing off this draft and looking to 2018 for the QB class

2017 we should get as many starters as we can....not big names

#10 NYJetsO12, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Br4d, Freddy Mondo and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't share this point of view. in fact i want him to take kizer in the 2nd and redshirt him and let hack and petty show what they have. i don't see it as an admittance that hack was a mistake, i see it as finally having a gm that understands how important a qb is.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Im not advocating Watson as our pick in any way, I'd prefer a late round flyer on a QB if that but The wonderlic has no bearing on a QB's success.
    Dan Marino scored a 15 and is a hall of famer.
    Blaine Gabbert 42, Alex Smith scored a 40, Colin Kaepernick and Johnny Football 32 .
    He'll, Shitzpatric scored a 48. That alone tells us everything we need to know about the test.
    Our very own Mo Clairborne scored a 4.
    I think you can sleep soundly tonight and tomorrow night. Watson is not in play for the Jets at 6.

#12 TonyFtLaud, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

There is a lot of chatter about Watson jumping into the top 10, but I dont see it.

14. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

I don't see them drafting a QB at all in the 1st tbh. Picking a QB in the first usually indicates they are going to start'em come September, and I just can't see it with Hack still never have been given any proper opportunity.

15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Wonderlic is not the be all end all, but you'd be nuts to think it doesn't have some impact.

The comparisons to young are apt.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Well as I mentioned so often, I don't like any of the QB's in this draft class - none merit a 1st round pick - all have major issues - bottom line is Mac agrees with me, hahaha,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

First his stats went down every year. His Comp% went down, his YPA went down and his TD/Int ratio went down, but his INT rate went up a lot. His is an INT machine in college and the NFL DBs would have a field day.
    SEASON CMP% YPA TD INT
    2016 ----- 67.0 --- 7.93 -- 41 --- 17
    2015 ----- 67.8 ---- 8.36 -- 35 --- 13
    2014 ----- 67.9 --- 10.70 --14 --- 2

Second, Trubisky placed five of the same teams and completed 14 TDs and only 4 Ints, while Watson had 12 TDs and 8 Ints.

Third, Watson had a weaker schedule than Trubisky. Yes look it up.

Lastly, Watson had top college talent around him, many of whom will be on NFL teams after this week. He did not take down Alabama, his TEAM did.

hwismer and Br4d like this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Was Ohio State and Alabama on North Carolina bowl schedule?

Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I need us to trade down to 12 and take either Deshaun or Pat Mahomes at that point.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I respect your opinion a lot but I just disagree completely. The Jets are loaded with middling QBs with a minor degree of potential. What the Jets absolutely need is a franchise starting QB who will be around for 10+ years

Imo the decision tree needs to go something like this:

1) Do we (the Jets management) feel that any QB is likely (rather than can be) to be a high quality franchise quarterback?

If yes: take him, fuck the critics. If they're wrong, they will be fired so that is the balancing weight to this call.

If no:

2) Can we make reasonable trades to acquire first round picks (and 2nd-4th to lesser extent) next year? Objective 1 is the one that matters, so if you can't do it this year, then set yourself up to do it next year.

If yes: make this the top priority for the draft. The Browns did this last year and even though they might not come away with a franchise QB this year, they've got an abundance of picks in a loaded draft class. Awesome.

If no:

3) Can we load up on draft picks in this year's draft to improve the team? This will be more difficult than perception since it is widely recognized that this is an exciting draft class and the Jets won't be alone in wanting to move down.

If no:

4) Can we identify pieces that will make our future franchise QB's life easier whenever they eventually find their way into the starting job?

Ranking: 1) Blockers 2) Receivers 3) Runners

OJ Howard becomes very enticing at 6 because he makes the Jets significantly better at both 1 + 2. There is no offensive lineman in the draft who is worthy of competing with him at the 6 spot, so assuming the Jets have made it this far down the decision tree, he's the pick I'd make here.

If no:

5) Are there defensive players available who would significantly improve the Jets by adding a unique talent or skill set that is either elite or that the Jets lack entirely.

This is where Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, and your edge rushers enter the picture.

This decision tree can be applied at every single pick, not just the first pick. Pickings will obviously diminish as the draft rolls along, but the Jets can still make each decision with an eye on the horizon.

Frankly, I don't see what a 4th+ round QB adds to this team. I know the Jets will walk out of this draft with a QB, but I'd rather that QB come from the first round, by whatever means necessary, to accomplish the primary objective of finding the long term starter.

Christian Hackenberg might be that guy, and if he actually is then the Jets are actually better off than people realize. As an old suffering Jets fan, I'm going to assume, for now, that he's not and that the Jets still need to operate their draft around the concept of finding their champion at QB.

The only other route is to rebuild the team in the image of the 09-10 Jets in defense defense defense with a competent offense. Imo this route not only will take longer to accomplish, but will also give the Jets a smaller window to actually pursue a Super Bowl championship.

Sustained success starts with the QB position in the modern NFL. Everything the Jets do should revolve around that until they have an answer.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk