QB over DB any day...drafted more busts at DB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Apr 18, 2017.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Too many people are saying the Jets should not spend another draft pick on a QB, but they need to put it in perspective. Since 2001 when Tom Brady became the fulltime starter for New England the Patriots have drafted 9 other QBs. While in the same time the Jets have drafted 10 QBs and we have not had a proven franchise guy yet.

Successful teams like the Patriots draft for the future and desperate teams draft for the present. The Jets need a QB for the future and even if he isn't ready this year it doesn't matter because this team isn't ready.

Draft Trubisky and let Josh McCown start the season if needed. When Trubisky get his feet under him put him on the field. If Hack or Petty make a giant leap, they would be great trade bait or insurance for next. You can never have too many good QB's but right now we have none.

To those that say we need to draft a DB, I say the jets have drafted 21 DBs over the same period and can you name one good player other than Revis? There is no position as important as a QB, and if you have a chance to secure a franchise guy, you take it.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree, except I prefer Mahomes or Watson over Trubisky. That said, I'm not an expert, nor do I have the data like Macc & Co. do, so if they thought Trubisky was their guy I would have to accept that I guess. My gut tells me otherwise, but I take prilosec by prescription so what do I know? But I fully agree with your logic about taking a QB over any DB.

june19 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm not against drafting a QB every year if that is what it takes. I like that. What I do object is to draft one out of desperation and overusing a high pick on him. I do not see any one meritorious of the six pick. Having said that, God knows we have consistently blown our picks by over reaching or bypassing great BPA like Sapp and many others. So I'm hoping Mac can put his priorities where they belong...ala Williams. If that points to a QB....more the better.

Br4d and westiedog1 like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Erik Coleman, Kerry Rhodes, Dwight Lowery. Otherwise, generally agree with your post.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets haven't had a safety like Hooker or Adams since the 80s and even Victor Green.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. westiedog1

Neither of these guys has played one snap in the pros, so how you can know that is very puzzling.

7. 101GangGreen101

You should watch them play. Great safety prospects rarely come around

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hooker has one year as a starter and he missed 17 tackles in that one year.

But damn he looks like Deion when the ball is in the air and after he has it in his hands.

Could we live with a very raw prospect who made tons of mistakes his first season without running him out of town? I'd like this guy just to return punts for us. He's a smooth instinctive runner who uses his blockers well, finds seams and scores TD's as a result. He plays fast even though his 40 is probably 4.56 or slower.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think you are forgetting the best of the best: Eric Smith and Kyle Wilson.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

He is inconsistent in that regard. But when you watch the games, he can tackle in run support and puts forth the effort. The majority of the missed tackles are in the box and needs to fix his technique. This guy makes plays like Ed Reed, extremely instinctive with amazing catching ability. The cover IQ is there, the range and play-making ability. With passing being as aggressive as ever in this league, he could change the game.

Check this out [the tape highlights --- it has good and bad]:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/60ftxi/scouting_report_malik_hooker/

https://streamable.com/2o0d1

Gamechanger that can alter the course of a game or even a season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

I would love to come away from this draft with a big time play making safety, EDGE rusher and a TE. Those are strong pieces for this team. Haven't drafted a good EDGE rush prospect in a while and the safety position is just a glaring weakness for years now.

12. westiedog1

Yes, totally forgot the forgettable. Memory is the second thing to go as we grow old.

(Straight line = "What's the first thing?" Punchline=?????)

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tackling technique can be learned/improved. From what I've read and seen, he's a willing tackler, just takes some bad angles and whiffs on occasion.

I don't see any way that Hooker could be that slow, but even if he is, as you said, he plays fast, and his great instincts make him even faster.

Undoubtedly some impatient and ignorant Jets fans probably would want to run him out of town. They should be banned from following the team if they would want to run an immensely talented player like him out of town. Their expectations are ridiculous and unrealistic, and they frustrate themselves and the rest of us with their ridiculous expectations. Very few players come into the NFL playing at a HOF level, yet to hear them talk, they all are supposed to. Hopefully, our CS, GM and owner would be more rational, reasonable, and patient.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hooker was projected at 4.56 on several of the scouting sites but did not run the 40 at the combine due to the surgery he underwent for torn labrum and hernia. Jamal Adams ran a 4.56 at the combine, which would make them similar speed in the straight line.

15. JetsFan

I don't want any defensive pick at #6. We have spend 9 straight 1st round picks and half of our 2nd round picks to acquire defensive guys and we still don't have a top 10 defense. No other team team has spent that much on their defense.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

You play to the strength of the draft. If you want offense you go wide receiver or tight end. The QB's in this class could end up good but they will take a while to develop, which would leave you in a weird position next year when the QB class is looking as good as the Winston and Mariotta draft. The team has shed all of its veterans and it has holes everywhere. There are plenty of good players to take. IMO don't reach for a QB. Take one in next year's class if Hackenberg or Petty don't pan out.

Catfish Billy and june19 like this.
  17. JetsFan

Four reasons I don't agree.

1. Every draft there are QBs people talk about in the next year that look good, but half fall on their face and some new names like Trubisky jump up and take their spot.
    2. We could draft Trubisky and let him develop this season. We signed McCown to play and this team will be lucky to win 6 games anyways, regardless who we draft in the first round.
    3. The only hope the GM has at keeping his job is to win now, which won't happen, or draft the QB of the future and get Woody or his brother to give him an extra season to see if the QB developed.
    4. Lastly, Trusisky will sell tickets and fill seats.

18. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

1. Agree on this point completely. There are always possible future candidates that look good compared to what is available in the draft.

2. I hope they didn't sign McCown to play, but to instead mentor the current QB's on the roster and step in for spot duty if needed.

3. I think McCagnan and ownership have finally come to terms that a competitive rebuild is an oxymoron and a proper rebuild needs to happen. Which probably bought him another 2 seasons.

4. Trubisky won't sell tickets even if he's behind the ticket booth. A competitive hungry team will sell tickets and I don't see a 1 year QB being the one to help get the Jets to that point.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Both number 2 and number 3 are utter nonsense. McCown was not signed to play. Woody obviously gave them the green light to undergo a rebuild; otherwise, the Jets wouldn't have cut almost all of their older players and would have been bigger players in FA. Mac also wouldn't be talking about trading down.

None of us knows what Woody thinks of the job that Mac has done. Mac has made a lot of good moves and added talent to the team. Woody could still like Bowles and Mac equally, or after last season, Woody may be souring on Bowles and leaning towards firing Bowles and letting Mac hire his successor. With this being a rebuilding year, the chances are that W-L record will mean nothing this year. Bowles will be judged on if he improves on his weak areas and the team looks prepared to play each week. Mac will be judged on his draft this year and how his players from his previous drafts perform. They probably both will still be here in 2018 and that will be the make or break year for them.

20. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

+10000000

JetsFan likes this.