Jerod Evans, QB, VT. Steal?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Apr 23, 2017.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is simple.

What am I missing about this kid?
    Why isn't he being talked about more?
    How is he so underrated?

I think he would be an absolute steal for us in this draft and can be had in the later rounds.

I've been watching film on this kid and I can't believe he isn't one of the highest rated QB's in this draft.

Someone please enlighten me?

Richiebsweet and boozer32 like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He's just really raw. But, I like him. I would be willing to take a flier after the 3rd.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think there are a few QBs like this who aren't discussed as much as the top 5 but have the tools to become quality NFL starters. A couple others I would add are Josh Dobbs (Tenn) and Kyle Slater (N. CO).

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Absent of sure fire Luck-type QB, Mac is targeting exactly these sort of QBs: low risk high potential mid rounds picks.

This is why all the talk about QB at 6 is just plain idiotoc.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would say the answer to your question is here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jerod-evans?id=2558099

Specifically:

Weaknesses
    Played in just 14 FBS games. Protected by quarterback-friendly offense with quick-hitters and several pre-determined throws. Mechanics in lower half are very raw and in need of plenty of work. Accuracy issues on simple throws are often tied to his spotty footwork and rushed delivery. Platform at delivery is uneven and inconsistent. Weight transfer comes to abrupt halt in his follow-through. Ball comes out janky. Has a tendency to expedite screen throws rather than keeping his eyes down the field and letting them develop. Will stare down his primary target. Doesn't always pick up safeties after snap and will opportunities to hit free-runners in the seam. Too much hesitation in his decision-making. Brings the gas on short throws that require touch. Deep balls tend to be too flat. Poor ball placement leaving too many throws behind his targets or too far out in front on crossing routes.

The Jets don't need another project, they need a QB who can reasonably be expected to compete for the job this year. He'll take a couple of years to develop, if he does at all.

JetsFan, NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  6. Martin&theJETS

What's crazy though is that could be said for every QB in this draft aside from maybe Trubisky and Watson. He has more starts than Trubisky, beat him head to head (both played like shit. Trubisky threw for 58 yards and 2 INTs with only 13 completion. Evans was 75 yards, 2 TDs with 7 completions), and he almost beat Clemson.

Evans played top competition and played well. Something that Mahomes and Kizer did not do. But yet Evans might go undrafted. Is he the next Tyrod Taylor?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, if the Jets could carry him and not have that impact the progress of whatever other QBs they carry, maybe. But he really seems too raw to warrant say dropping Petty or Hack, and neither one of those may be ready to step in start, so they'll have an injury-prone OTH guy, and at least one, if not two unproven guys, and then if you draft Evans, that doesn't seem prudent.

I do think that Mahomes and Watson (and maybe Trubisky) could start in a pinch - it might be ugly at first, but I believe they would grow into the job and be better than Petty/Hack - jmho. But if you want to use the premium picks on somebody other than QB, I could see maybe taking Peterman with the 3rd pick - he may have the best chance of starting right away of any of them.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. Martin&theJETS

Drop Petty.

FJF likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Accuracy and mechanics are his problem. We already have one of those on our roster named Hackenberg.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah, but his accuracy wasn't really that bad. He was a very accurate pocket QB. He had over a 60% completion rate against some good competition and secondaries last year. On the move he is off more than I would like but most of the time he would just use his mobility instead anyway. The dude has a much better arm than, Hack. Better leadership. Better Mobility. Better pocket awareness.

The offense Evans played in, lack of experience, and the one read system I think are the things really hurting his draft stock.

He truly reminds me a lot of Cam Newton. A lot.

I would draft this kid without question. I think he's going to be something in the NFL with proper coaching.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If the Jets draft a QB it has to be Trubisky, otherwise they will be a joke. We have drafted project QBs every year and none panned out so far. No team has drafted more QBs than the Jets since 2011, and if we do again it has to be the top QB in the draft. We don't have to play him by week one, but come first game after the break if we are losing, which we will be, he needs to see the field. McCown can start the season as starter.

12. IIMeanDeanII

This doesn't matter. Drafting a QB every year to you find a franchise QB isn't a bad strategy ever. I don't care what the rest of the worlds perception is on that. I'm tired of my favorite team spinning their wheels every year because we haven't had a franchise QB in how many years?

Every year we see guys like Russel Wilson, Dak Prescott, Bridgewater, Carr, Brady, etc... Emerge has legit franchise caliber players.

It doesn't matter to me, as long as we continue to find that guy through solid research and scouting.

Just because your a "top rated" QB, doesn't mean they will perform at a high level. Just like it doesn't mean a lower drafted player will automatically be a failure.

We need a franchise QB. I don't care how that happens or what it looks like I'm the pursuit of this manifesting into reality.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.