Todd Bowles Departure Date

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Apr 21, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are they even allowed to do that in the same way with your salary cap rules ?

I also can't help but feel the normal guys must get mighty pissed off at earning less than a league two player over here while the DP guy is rolling in cash, it can't breed a good team spirit imo

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just don't understand this sentiment.

Bowles went 10-6 last year and went 5-11 this year *with no QB*. With no QB!

Kotite went 4-26 with Boomer and Neil O'Donnell coming off a Super Bowl appearance. Those aren't the same things and aren't even in the same magnitude of things.

Bowles is 15-17, which is more Mangini-esque if you want to make comparisons.

3. K'OB

I think people think he just got lucky in 15 of those games lol

4. Br4d

If you told me at the beginning of last year that we'd have no QB all year I'd have penciled us in for 4-12 with that wicked beginning of the schedule. Herm went 4-12. Mangini went 4-12. Rex went 4-12. Bowles went 5-11. Small improvement to be sure but Kotite? Come on!

5. K'OB

I am in agreement with you, but saying that he hasn't been that good either, is game management needs a lot of work but if we are rebuilding then it is pointless sacking him unless there is a top team builder sat twiddling his thumbs at home or in college management right now ?

Br4d likes this.
  6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Unless he totally looks lost out there I don't see Bowles going anywhere ...he gets at least another year after this .

westiedog1 and Br4d like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My take is that our new OC will make TB look better than he did last year offensively. Best thing he could do is to stay focused on making our D better and help our DC who is woefully over his head. Play calling, scheme adjustment and time management are much needed areas of improvement

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, you're right - if he changes completely he should be retained but that would be reflected in the W-L column anyway.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My suggestion is pretty obvious - every major league sports organization should do everything in its power to win every single competition in which it competes using every legal tool in the toolbox. To do anything less is an insult to the players and the fans. People need to be put in place to do that. I believe this team has an historical record of running on automatic and running on empty. The owner needs to realize that and for the first time in decades hire a director of football operations to oversee that aspect. Only then can the General Manager and coaching staff have a more specific and more successful plan than "do the best you can."

As much as people here talk about "Woody this" and "Woody that," I believe the owner's input has been minimal at best - he is a businessman who makes a lot of bad business decisions because he really doesn't know the business despite how long he's been involved. Losing to win is a recipe no one can cook up. If this was a restaurant it would have served its last meal years ago.

#49 Ralebird, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Br4d

What about the talent base last year suggests that the W-L would have been any better with another coach?

QB - sucked all year.
    Revis retired on the field.
    Mo and Richardson both had off-years.
    Clady, Giacomini and Mangold were all hurt at various times.
    Decker out for the year early.

Listening to you guys complain about Bowles when everything was off-kilter for the season and most of it nowhere near his responsibility is starting to get old.

Yeah, he had a bad season but any coach in the situation he was in would have had a similarly bad season.

HomeoftheJets and Jets_Grinch like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, not really. His game management is terrible. The fact that he allowed Revis and others to mail it in week after week and still played them is ridiculous. Allowing players to disrespect him and the team by showing up late. Allowing Fitz to remain in a game where he threw 6 picks, and then kept him as the starter is ridiculous. Bowles brought much of this on himself, and should've been fired at the end of the season. He's in over his head, and I seriously doubt whether he will ever be a decent HC.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He was not great at 10-6. But I thought okay, first year. Improvement next year. Yes the QB sucked. But the team did not care. They played like they did not care. Cardinal sin. And he did not improve his skills. Challenges, timeouts, press conferences. Team was bad out of the locker room both halves most of the time. I cut him slack no longer. He stood there like a mummy while the ceiling fell in. Give me someone with some onions

#52 jdon, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BR and others yes Kotitesque . I could call him Ray Handley esque but that would insult Handley and Giant fans. Bowels is as clueless as Kotite was , Bowels cannot judge down and distance , Bowels cannot manage a clock , run an offense and a host of other things it is all well documented . IMO ,Bowels cannot control a locker room , it is a free for all in the Jet locker room I can only imagine what we dont hear about ! His record might be 15 and 17 right now but lets talk about that again after this year when its looking more like 18 and 30 or worse ,going into 2018. Maybe Kotite was a decent assistant coach and maybe Bowels was a decent assistant,,,, but HC ? Most people saw Bowels faults in year number 1 but the soft schedule along with Fitz having a career year masked his faults and then last year they were magnified with each loss and this year IMO it will be much much worse . I was worried about Bowels during 2015 and gave him a pass most of the year but after that last game against Buffalo 2015 , the honeymoon was over for me . He does not give many answers in his press conferences but go back and watch Richie K and see how he would respond to anyone that questioned the way he did things , a lot like Bowels he would give smug responses as if he was insulted they were even asked . Learn from mistakes ? Good luck with that. If you guys want to argue he is no way as bad as Kotite I hear you but disagree I think they are both big time loser head coaches who were in way over their heads and have zero clue what they are doing but in the end does it matter if you 4 and 26 or 15 and 17 you are still a loser and the Lombardi Trophy is a pipe dream . You cannot bring up Mangini name as he was a much better coach then these 2 clowns and he was way better at judging talent .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I cant wait for the season to start this year. One can not even dream of the type of treads we will see after the first 2 games.
    If we are 0-2 the chant fire Bowles will begin followed by the tank for a QB death March.
    If we are 2-0 then the bipolar NYJ media and fan community will vary widely from it's a mirage to playoff bound baby. If we are 1-1 God only knows.
    Love it.
    The life of a NYJ fan, never short of drama and excitement, but often short of wins.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Listening to you making excuses for Bowles incompetence has BEEN old. Yes, all of the things you said above are true, but what about the things that were in Bowles' control that you didn't mention?

Things like:
    1. how the team look unprepared to play almost every game;
    2. his ultraconservatism and being too willing to settle for FGs or punting when he should have gone for it;
    3. his horrible game and clock management;
    4. how the team continued to beat itself with mental errors and sloppy play;
    5. how he waited until Mo and Richardson had been late to numerous meetings and Mo missed a walk through before he punished them;
    6. how he kept trotting Fitz, Revis and others out there, even though their play was sloppy and some were flat out dogging it or not healthy enough (Mo) to play at a decent level;
    7. how he stuck with the vets after the season was already gone

If he had learned from his mistakes and held players more accountable, things could have looked very different last season. They might have won even more games, they might have hastened the development of Burris, Shell and a few other young players, and/or might have gotten a definitive answer on whether Petty was gonna be the answer at least. Even when he finally played Petty, he didn't give him any chance to succeed. Petty got few reps in practice until after his first or second game, the offense wasn't tailored to what Petty can do.

#55 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bowles is an easy scapegoat. Something we see a lot of these days unfortunately.

Pags2112 and Br4d like this.
  17. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed, he will finish the year. Also, I believe he will start the 2018 season as the Head Coach if there is no CLEAR candidate. Here's where it gets tricky .. Bowles will be in the third year of his 4 year deal during the 2017-18 season, if he even has SOME bright spots, I expect Woody or his brother to give him a 1 year extension into 2019. Why?! I'll give you several reasons why:

1. The Jets need to demonstrate loyalty, consistency and stability in order to become a more attractive coaching destination .. what high profile coach would want to work in a mine field?! One wrong move and your out?! I'd pass.
    2. Whether or not they admit it, the Jets ARE rebuilding and unless a high profile coach, willing to go through the headaches surfaces .. why make shake things up further, making things even more difficult then they are .. let Bowles get his uniform dirty and then make the switch (if there's no improvement) after things are looking brighter talent wise.
    3. Going off 1 & 2 .. The last thing the Jets need is a revolving Coaching Staff door .. until there is a CLEAR & WORTHY candidate for the position who could make an actual difference, why rush into a decision that could lead to possibly no improvement or even make matters worse. Yes people .. things could be worse. Besides, an arguement could be made that we might not even be ready to seriously compete until the 2019 season.

So to some things up. Bowles will finish out the 2017-2018 season. Start the 2018 season with a year extension(a final prove it extension), but will have 1 foot out the door. A door with a candidate(s) ready to come in to coach a more talented team for the 2019 season.

Edit- I forgot to add what I want. I'd like an offensive minded coach, preferably a younger one, to take the reigns for the 2018-2019 season. Could Morten be the guy?! It would be a huge plus for our young players to be in the second year of the newly installed system for the 2019-2020 season. Also, if Maccagnan drafts well .. I'd like to see the disintegration of the Co-Boss situation and make MM top dog.

#57 Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    jixxjr, Cman68 and Br4d like this.
  18. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

There's no denying some of your points NCJ. No denying. The lack of succesful or should we say, if any, second half adjustments was also utterly angering. Your point concerning Petty also explains why starting Pettenberg from game 1 this season is All So Important! No matter who is coaching, losing teams rarely go 100 as a squad after mid season, putting a backup under heavy stress. By the time Petty was called upon, the chances for a successful Petty showing were already slim to none, and as you said - reps .. reps for QB's 3 & 4 on the depth chart were minut. This CANNOT happen in 2017-18 .. CANNOT .. Pettenberg need to get the majority of the reps and play during weeks 1-8. If Bowles thinks playing McCown will help keep his job in tact .. he might as well already consider himself a Defensive Coordinator for hire again.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

It's like none of you are paying any attention to the patterns of the Jets' universe:

The Jets are expected to be one of the worst teams in the league, and should end the season with a fired HC and a top draft pick-- that means the Jets will win at least one playoff game this year.

Then next year, they'll be expected to "come back down to earth" and just be in contention for a playoff spot. That means they'll be in AFCCG.

In 2019, they'll be the preseason favorite for the Super Bowl, and they'll eek out 3 or 4 wins, instead.

Bowles will be canned in 2020 or 2021, after going 7-9 or 8-8, and the ride will begin again.

K'OB likes this.
  20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Tough to fire him during the year when I don't see and able assistant who could take over. He will probably play the season out and then hopefully he and Maccagnan get fired at the same time.