Todd Bowles Departure Date

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But.... according to the GM and the HC, we're not rebuilding..

Br4d likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They need to start talking about patience with young players, things like that, to open up the conversation. That way when things start out slow people won't immediately go to "who is on the hot seat?"

If you cannot rebuild due to expectations you're doomed to be mediocre in perpetuity.

K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forecast just in. He will have a winning record in 2017 and barely miss a playoff birth to totally mesmerize and piss off the rabid Jet fans longing for the tanking regime.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That means either he did a hell of a job coaching OR the Jets found a QB. Either one would be more than enough to retain him for another couple of years.

If the Jets go 9-7 this year I'll be pissed if it was a smoke and mirrors 9-7, like the 8-8 under Rex in 2013 with Geno QBing and the ball bouncing the Jets way in crunchtime often enough not to go 4-12.

I see 2017 and 2018 as a major inflection point for the franchise. We can lock back into the same pattern we've been in for the last 6 years or we can go for broke and really try to rebuild.

In any season you should either be pointing hard at the Super Bowl or rebuilding to create a window to point hard at the Super Bowl. The Jets are in no-man's land most years and so we get the Same Old Same Old over and over again.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well those of us older and still waiting for this team to be a consistent winner are running out of patience. I don't know how it works in England but it cost big money to run a team and that cost is put onto the fans. Ticket prices continue to rise for a subpar franchise, DirectTv continue to raise prices to watch your team. This year that is even more important as the Jets only has one prime time game due to being a bad team. Maybe you can help us out by keeping Woody Johnson over there permanately and far away from the Jets. Or better yet get him to sell the team outright.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you said it... should have happened already. only reason to keep him is so he has to deal with the turmoil and not a new oach.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

When hired planes fly over the stadium and stream out toilet paper, you know it's time for him to get off the Jet potty.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Because tanking is such a great way to guarantee you'll get one superstar, right? And watching your team be crap is so enjoyable too.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I will say it again-----I dont care what Woody or anyone else says right now------> If heading into the BYE week the record is 3 and 7 or worse I have little doubt that Bowels will be shit canned over the bye week. What will make matters worse for Bowels will be his incompetence and mismanagement of clock , down and distance and all the rest it will just magnify his ineptness ! No way Woody will hold up against the media and fan pressure and stay the course. Not to mention the empty seats, the bags on the heads , and I can easily see banners and billboards -----Bowels is a goner by week 11 . ps Mike Mac needs to hit homers in this draft or his days are numbered as well , I can see new coach and new GM in 2018 easily

#29 CBG, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    tomdeb likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly disagree more! Rex was partially responsible for last year. He instilled no discipline in players and didn't hold them accountable. He helped ruin the roster. Screw Rex.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Woody may be in England and far away from the clamor and mess here. Even if he keeps abreast of the team, I can't see him firing Bowles before the season is over. Who would finish out the season as HC, a rookie OC? A DC that's largely responsible for the team's dreadful showing last year? The STs Coordinator that probably should have been fired this off season along with Bowles and the DC Rodgers? IMO it would make zero sense to fire Bowles during the season, especially with 6 games to go.

CBG likes this.
  12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its gonna take a worse record than the most recent one to get any changes at HC and GM. 4-12 or worse will do it.

5-11/6-10 won't.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So what is enjoyable about being permanent also rans ?

Tanking will get you more than one super star though it isn't always about pick number 1, it is about being able to build a good squad over 3 seasons or so.

Nothing is guaranteed anyways but I would rather be a little bit shitter than we currently are if it meant a half decent chance to turn things around and have a chance to build for a more successful future, it is a better ambition than hoping for a 10-6 season or a 7-9 season like somebody put in a thread somewhere today o_O

Br4d likes this.
  14. K'OB

I have seen nothing of our incompetent owner in the news over here, so god only knows what he is doing.

Football doesn't quite work the same as what you have described, yes the price at Man City have gone up, but the talent on the pitch and trophies in the cabinet have increased also, it is to be expected, better players means higher wages, means higher ticket prices.

City got lucky and grabbed the best owners in the world, they have plowed money into the whole area not just the football club and also they have built the best youth academy training complex around, stunning stuff, now it just needs to spit out some home grown talent :)

Maybe the loss of revenue will give Woody the massive kick in the arse he needs to sell up and go.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

NC----if they fire him it won't really matter who finishes the year as interim coach as it will be a train wreck regardless. Woody might be in England but when the stadium is empty and no one is purchasing a beer or a jersey he will care. When the announcers and espn are mocking the team he will care, when the post game press conferences are a circus he will care-----> firing Bowels will relieve the pressure and the heat and fans and media will take a step back .We will see how it plays out but to be honest he should never have been allowed back this year , He is not just a bad HC he is KOTITESQUE = says a lot .

boozer32 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

as long as they have the tv deals, there will never be a team suffering a net loss. they can play in front of a crowd of just realtives and stadium employees and still be in the black.

17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Glad to hear all that about CFG from a fan's perspective. Hope they invest in NYCFC with the same vigor

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't believe having the first draft pick for a year does that. I've never seen it turn a team around by itself. Every draft choice is a crap shoot. Intentionally going backwards is no way to go forward.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's right, which is why they need to change what they've been doing: "playing it safe" by drafting "D", and by hiding behind BPA - "Hey! We took the best player available! It doesn't matter if we didn't need another DL, he was the best player and we'll figure out how to use him". Only they didn't quite do that. Or maybe they did, but then they didn't quite figure out how to use the other DLs they had, really much of anything else.

How about instead, they create a blueprint for the kind of team - and the kind of players that fit that team - and draft/sign them, and get rid of those who don't? How about if they stop bucking the trend of an offense-oriented league, and draft some talent for the "O"? How about they hire a HC who knows offense, and how to manage a game? Do you think it's just a coincidence that the last couple of HCs the Jets have had were defensive coaches, and who were poor at managing games? Managing a game is more of an offensive chore than a defensive one - defenses are geared towards running down clocks, not maximizing them. So, when you ask a guy who has been on the "D" side of things for his career to know how to manage the clock, and down and distance, and to know whether his OC has a freaking clue, how do you expect him to suddenly know these things?

And if they're going to really "go for broke", shouldn't they go "all in" on finding their FQB? Unless they're convinced that none of the QBs in this class can be that guy, they need to draft one early, preferably with their first pick. Taking a QB first will send a clear message that they are FINALLY going to build an offense that can compete with the best ones - yes the Patriots of course.

But if this draft shows them to once again focusing on "D", I will have finally had enough, and I will know that there is no hope for this franchise.

#39 ColoradoContrails, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    tomdeb, K'OB and Br4d like this.
  20. K'OB

What do you suggest then ?

Keep bumbling forward like we have been doing now for erm let's say 20 years or so :eek:

Plus I am sure I said it is more than having the number one draft pick overall in a following post, the subsequent higher picks in further rounds also help, even trading away the number one pick for 2 or 3 further picks could help turn a squad around, of course it is crap shoot and not every kid in the draft makes it, this is where we have let ourselves down in recent times and we must improve on to help in the turnaround.