Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Darnold isn't the only QB prospect out there that's the thing. You got 3, 4 guys with 2 of them needing to have a good year then they will come out. That's Brad Rosen and Josh Allen. Darnold, I think could absolutely stay. I think both of those guys are far better then the QBs in this draft. Pro style offense, good size, good arm talent. Have to remember, it ain't about just Darnold.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's still just speculation - reasonable, but speculation nonetheless. Furthermore, the Jets will have to "earn" a top 3 pick minimum, and that means probably a 2-14 record at best to ensure they get one of those picks, and I think that's unlikely. In short, betting on getting one of the guys you mentioned next year is a long shot. Of course if the Jets really think that none of the QBs this year can be FQBs, then I guess they're going to have to hope the stars align for them next year, but for such a star-crossed franchise, that's asking a lot.

I just find it really hard to believe that none of the QBs this year would not be better than what the Jets already have.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are switching systems. Petty has never played in a WCO. I expect him to be the odd man out if the Jets take a QB.

If they're just replacing him then waiting until round 4 and going for Peterman or Kaaya or somebody like that is the way to go.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Even with that, Petty would have a slight edge over a rookie just by virtue of having been a pro, and knowing how things work, as well as familiarity with receivers from last year. Admittedly not a big edge, but going into the season with a 37 year old QB with injury history, and TWO unproven QBs would be a big gamble, one that I don't think the Jets would make. But maybe they would carry 4 QBs again, then taking a QB like Peterman or Kaaya in the later rounds would make sense.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Everything right now is speculation, but I see no scenario where Rosen from UCLA stays in school should he stay healthy and perform. It doesn't always have to be a top 3 pick, a lot of great QBs have come from situation drafting. The stars have been aligned before and the Jets missed out, could happen again. However, I think Hack is just as good if not better then these QB prospects in this draft. Kizer, I think he has a shot to be a good QB, but should be taken in the 2nd round. You don't pull the trigger on a Kizer at 6.

6. ColoradoContrails

Of course anything is possible, but if the Jets are betting on getting their FQB in next year's draft, they can't afford to be drafting out of the top 3, maybe even the top pick, that's really a long shot based on their history - only twice in their history have they had a #1 pick.

I really don't know how you can say Hack is better than anyone. He had one pretty good year in college, and then 3 poor ones, and hasn't been seen in public doing anything a QB would do. I hope you're right, but until he shows some evidence you can't make any claims about him.

Kizer is a huge question mark IMO. He has the physical tools, but why did he regress? And his egomania might be a red flag, although as they say "It ain't bragging if you can back it up". I would prefer they take someone else besides him, but admittedly I don't have access to the kind of data that Macc & Co. have, so if they think he's great, hopefully they're right.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

when you don't have a qb you don't look to just replace a backup. every qb drafted should be thought to have the ceiling of starter at a minimum. petty's replacement should be drafted this year and petty will need to make mccown expendable to make the roster. next year hack should be in the same boat if we are still having the whole" we need a qb" discussion.

RuJFan and legler82 like this.
  8. Br4d

I'm assuming Hack is either going to play this year at some point or the Jets are going to move on, either in camp or after the season.

I doubt they will keep him in a 4 QB's scenario unless he shows enough to warrant it. A face-saving way to move on would be to try to PS him (think he is still eligible) and have somebody claim him. If nobody claims him you know he's not an NFL QB.

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

True but it's a great reason to draft a Brady (6th round) Montana (3rd round) ,Favre (2nd) ,Staubach (10th round) Warner (undrafted) Wilson (3rd round) ,Johnny Unitas (9th round ) ,Batr Start (17th round) amazingly, almost all the top QBs in the history of the NFL we're predicted busts by the experts.

10. Br4d

Well, if they start looking in the 3rd round I won't be too upset.

It's the 1st round busts that really set a team back and back by years.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

That's true. Unless Mac is absolutely convinced that he is taking a FQB he should pass. I am a believer that we have to take a QB every draft until we hit.

RuJFan and Martin&theJETS like this.
  12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hurts seeing him go top 10. It probably the best thing for his career going with Andy Reid.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Another year another potential FQB pass. Later I look forward to reading posters trying to convince us how a guy like Nathan Peterman can develop into our future starter as you know the late QB pick is coming.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Relax

16. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I really like the Adams pick, but disappointed in losing out on Mahomes. It is the best situation for his development. Now I am torn between getting a CB (King) with the early 2nd round pick, but I would be tempted by Davis Webb also. Saw him at TT and he will be a good NFL QB. Mahomes took his job but he was a pretty good QB.

xxedge72x likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Better we miss on a late pick then miss early. You know people are complaining about the early QB picks too.

18. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Him going to KC is the best thing for him, he'll come out like Aaron Rodgers and be great from Day 1

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Lol

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Ok I'm confused...
    How will he be great on Day 1 if he will be sitting behind current QB for 4 years like Aaron Rodgers?