Is a season ticket holder a "real fan" if he refuses to renew his tickets next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 1, 2016.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Woody doesn't care. What people are forgetting is that those with the most expensive seats (lower level and Mezz PSL holders) have already forked over money to Woody to help pay for the stadium. The Jets aren't buying back those PSL seats, they have to be sold on sites such as PSL Source, gifted etc.

For those in the upper level yes they can not renew and force Woody to deal with finding fresh blood. The teams bad performance the last 4-5 years is one reason Woody reduced prices for the 300 level a few years ago so that it would a) make people with those seats re-consider keeping them or b) make it easier and less burdensome for new ticket holders to sign up. Woody's sales job isn't now it was back in '08-'09 when he was pushing the PSL's. He's 8 years removed from that process now, its in the rear view mirror. He's wiped his hands clean from PSL holders.

The people we should really feel sorry for are those that shelled out $30k or so for the 50 yd line coaches club PSL's and are paying $7k a year each for tickets to those seats. It's easy to give up 300 level, not so for expensive PSL holders.

I believe that all PSL's are now fully paid, I think the Jets had a financing arrangement that lasted up to 4-5 years. The worst case nightmare for Woody is PSL holders saying fuck it I'm canceling my season tickets and forfeiting the cost of my PSL. That would make Woody re-take ownership of those seats and have to sell them at full price in the middle of a shitty run of bad seasons. I'm sure people have done just this too but not on a large enough scale to matter. Instead of flying banners the real way to stick it to him is get everyone in sections 112, 113 and 114 to just bite the bullet, take the PSL loss and cancel their season tickets. Only then would the fans have some measure of control over the future of this franchise and that's like a 1 in 100 billion chance of happening.

KurtTheJetsFan and grkmanga31 like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Are non-season ticket holders real fans?

If not, then there's your answer.

The last game I witnessed the Jets win in person was a Snoopy Bowl.

Is there a Lemon Law for football teams?

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I just gave up my season tickets after 36 years and certainly don't feel like less of a fan. I only lasted 36 years because I figured the one year i gave them up the jets would have that magical year I have been waiting for. I have given up ever seeing that day as long as Woody is the owner. Also, the atmosphere sucks compared to the days of shea and more recently Giants Stadium. Most of the old time tick holders like me have left and its not just the same.... what is I guess. And seeing the ticket prices on stubhub, the paying for pre-season and the all the fans of the opponents. I had enough. Gonna go to select games and figure maybe by 2019 we might be a playoff team. Woody has beaten me down, you win pal. Also, told the Jet official who called me and she said ok, I will release your tickets and send you an email. DId not even ask why? They don't give a crap about us.

JetsNation06, JetsVilma28 and CBG like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Being a fan is a state of mind and has nothing to do with how one celebrates their fandom. I don't have season's tickets and never have, yet my wife, who isn't a sports fan, knows not to schedule social events on Sundays during football season. My friends and relatives know to express sympathy on Mondays. The only thing that would cause me to stop being a fan of the NY Jets is if they moved to another city.

Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i think every STH should be evaluated by the top psychiatrist in the world. And being a " real fan" is not dependent on whether or not you have season tix

jetlife21 and alleycat9 like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well said. I have never been to a home game, been to 2 road games which they lost both by a combined score of 56-3 but i challenge anyone to say i am not a real fan. Fandom is not expressed through your wallet.

TwoHeadedMonster, CBG and westiedog1 like this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If you called yourself a Jets fan in the depths of the Kotite era, or at the end of the Ryan era, or today, you're a real fan.

Worrying about whether or not other people think you're a "real fan" makes you pathetic.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The real question should be is an owner or organization a REAL OWNER/ organization when they build a garbage stadium with terrible sight lines , and charges prices for tickets above market value , not to mention attaching a ridiculously overpriced PSL to it, should I add the ridiculous color coded parking pass fiasco now or just pass that by ? The same owner has zero problem sharing stadium with big brother who's shadow he has lived in for eternity ,same owner also hires bumbling GM's , and tells other GMs the job is yours but you must keep MY COACH, the coach by the way ONLY COACHES the defensive side of the ball and does not get involved in any other aspect of the team or the coach is in way over his head has zero answers and much like the previous coaches after games he also gives the same answers which are " I HAVE NO ANSWERS " , and BTW the coaches are also loyal to players to a fault but I stray. Let me think about this some more and add some more run on sentences,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the same OWNER who has his ticket reps tell you the product is gold when its really garbage / shit ? The same owner and organization that treated longtime season ticket holders like crap , lied to them and me countless times and when called out on it lied some more ? The same owner who only cares about selling tickets and i does not matter if opposing teams fans buy them , I could add more but my Dr says to vent in moderation so I will close with yeah you are a fake fan if you question them and dont renew but you will be in good company as myself and so many others have bailed and BTW I never looked back or regretted it .
    I had to edit this,,,,the next time the Jet Reps call you to renew and trust me the calls ,letters and e mails are coming--------> tell them you "really meant to renew, you really did but your alarm clock did not go off in time to send the check and you overslept -----> its not life threatening IT HAPPENS ! "

#28 CBG, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When the team sucks, all we wasted was the cost of a seasons ticket. Woody wasted millions on a bunch of bums he has to fire.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah that's what I can stand is if the team isn't putting in effort. We pay to see them at least try to play hard, but why should we pay NFL ticket pricing to see a team that knowingly doesn't give 100% effort?

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY if you do attend a home game its is JUST LIKE A ROAD GAME NOWADAYS!

Brook!, JetsNation06, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If you don't like the product on the field, or the fact that ticket prices keep going up along with outrageous concession charges while the product fails to improve, you can still be just as strong a fan watching from the comfort of your own home in full HD.

I like going to the occasional game, but couldn't imagine investing all that time and money into 10 of them per year along with psl fees. It must get stressful, especially when the team stinks and it's freezing and windy out.

Fans like you have been extremely loyal for a long period of time. You should be applauded for enduring it for so long. Your loyalty will never be questioned.

#32 Sam Hammer, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  13. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

The fandom comment threw me on this. I'd rather know the reason a season ticket holder wants to give up their seats. If it is because of having a poor team producing awful performances which sucks any enjoyment out of being present I can understand as that get under your skin.

If it is an attempt to show contempt for the ownership etc it is likely to have limited impact given my understanding of the PSL scheme and experience I've had in 2014 and 2015 travelling over and getting tix from Stubhub and being surrounded by people not following the game, just there for a day out. Always gonna be bodies to take seats in a tourist area.

But I'll bet the Jet fan who gives up his/her season tix will still be following. I couldn't switch and will always be watching whatever

14. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I hope you are joking. You can be a real fan and not agree to be ripped off. Between the shit product and the psl who wants season tickets anymore? And some people cant afford season tickets are they not real fans? Spending money has nothing to do with being a real fan. Do you watch the games? Are you emotionally attached... do you root for the team? Isnt that what makes a fan?

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i question anyone who has continued to buy season tickets and psls sanity. forget fandom. the jets and woody johnson completely fucked this entire fanbase with the move into the mausoleum and the bullshit they pulled. fuck them. i hope the fucking place is empty. he ruined this fanbase over the past 8 or 9 years. fuck him.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Alleycat how do u feel about the woodster? I am with u bro.

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

every once in awhile i am reminded just how much of a dick he is to us fans. and i lose it a little bit. hate that dude. he has been steadily fucking the fan since he bought the team. from the 10 percent increases every year to what were very very very good priced tickets. to the big burlap condom he strapped on when they basically shit on every single ticket holder and built this shit hole.

ugh.... so many guys were so screwed over.

CBG likes this.