More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think he was prepped to answer the "why no hack?" questions, hence his name came first. The best possible solution would be if BOTH Petty and Hack show marked improvement this year. Then you can potentially have one for a trade/draft pick.

But that is too much to ask, of course.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

UNLEASH THE HACKEN

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I'm just looking at this from TB POV, the man is delusional, he thinks the jets are going to be successful this year and he will play whatever QB he feels allows him to win games.

He will base his decision on TC and by default and experience Mccown will come out as the better QB. Hack and Petty would have to be lights out in TC in order to beat out Mccowns experience.

Petty might make it close but he won't do enough to beat out Mccown.

Next years starter will be Mccown, backup is Petty and 3rd guy is Hack.

There is no way possible that Hack can fix his mechanics, learn a new offense and put it all together in what is essentially his first year as an NFL QB.

tbruner12 likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's significant unless the question was "Will Hackenberg get a change to play?" Then, it's just logically answering the question with the person they asked about first.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I would not be so sure. If that is the case then Bowles is a true jack wagon (which I thought last year). Hack should start if he is even remotely ready. Sink or swim baby.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

All that crap and you are going to talk about deductive reasoning. The first point you posted should have clued you in, you know deductive reasoning, as to why Hack didn't play last year.

And where are "All reports coming out about Hack is that his attitude sucks also.", please post at least 2 examples and that means different sources not multiple articles all quoting the same, I am sure, anonymous source.

I started out this off season as just someone that wasn't ready to make a call on Hack as he hasn't had the chance to show us anything. I am now starting to become one that is hoping he lights it up so he can shut up posters like you that just pull shit out of your ass.

Pags2112 and hwismer like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And this is why he should've gotten some snaps in live action, and why :red-shirting" in the pros is a waste. Throw the guy into the game and watch him.. If he looks over-matched, or can't escape the rush, you yank him before he gets hurt, but at least you then have some idea of where you stand with him, and he has some idea of what he needs to work on. Jesus! It's not rocket science!

Red Menace and tbruner12 like this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Didn't all that happen against scrubs in preseason games no less last year? There is a reason they say he sucks.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...as-historically-bad-against-the-eagles-090216

9. The Waterboy

You think they should have just thrown him out there.
    VS.
    Analysts, coaches, etc. think he would benefit from sitting for a year.

You lose

10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Sitting the bench because he isn't good enough to beat out any of the shitty QB's on our roster? Worthy of a second round pick?
    We lose

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Red Menace

The only issue with throwing him out there is the offensive scheme they were running.

Pass heavy with Hack or Petty was a recipe for disaster and we saw it with Petty against the Dolphins.

12. The Waterboy

4/29/16 "I like the kid, I love the upside; I hope they give him time to develop," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said., "This is a pick they wanted to make for months." NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said during the network's draft telecast. "They plan to sit him and let him grow."

4/30/16 #Jets plan to sit Christian Hackenberg, let him grow. They've believed in the player for a while. Expect a Ryan Fitzpatrick deal to be 1r

8/31/16 If 2016 goes according to the Jets' plan, he may not so much as suit up for a contest this season.

9/5/16 "They all can play, obviously," Bowles said. "They all can play and we’re trying to keep the best football players. Each of them showed enough in the preseason. We'll give Hack a redshirt year and the other three can play."

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your points on naming the starter by the 2nd preseason game and QB competitions in TC delays the gelling of the offense. In this particular situation, with the Jets in a rebuild and not expected to win a lot of games, I don't think the second point is as crucial. IMO I think it more important to give Hack and Petty every opportunity to win the starting job. If one of them does, then I think he'll get plenty of reps and even though it may hurt the offense initially, I think they'll be better in the long run for it.

Red Menace, MoWilkBeast and Cman68 like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

McCown almost definitely has the edge from a mental perspective, but Petty and Hack have the physical edge, have the edge in terms of experience and hopefully, chemistry with our WRs, and the edge that only youth can give.

You may be right, but isn't it a little too shady there on the dark side? LOL Step out in the sunshine a little, Red. After all, if Bowles does name McCown the starter, there'll be plenty of time to be negative about it later, and you'll have PLENTY of company (including me!!!!).

Red Menace likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

even though we know(expect) the season to be bad record wise, bowles can not coach like it is a throw away. to that end, quick, decisive decisions need to get made so the offense can be installed and tailored to whoever wins qb1. once they are at 6-7 losses or it is obvious this year is going nowhere he can switch to evaluation mode with hack or petty depending on what happened in the spring. bowles has to lead them as if they have a chance, even f he is playing the roll of general custer.

Red Menace and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, the Jets and their fans lose.

17. Red Menace

I'm not really a dark sider, I'm a realist. I would love it if TB said screw it, I'm going all in on the youth movement but he has not shown himself as that type of HC.

While he did play Lee a lot, that was more because he was obligated to as Lee was the only one left that could play the ILB position next to Harris.

I want to believe that the jets have their QB of the future in Hack, I really do. Honestly I'm just into show me mode with TB at this point instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also very happy with Anderson, Mauldin, Enunwa, Lee. I'm not all doom and gloom with regards to the team, or Mac for that matter, but TB, I don't trust him.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

...and in the driver's seat for the 2018 NFL draft QB sweepstakes?

[​IMG]

#338 joe, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    TouchyFeely likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Based on what Cimini said the plan is to reevaluate before camp. That has surely got to be the right way to go - see where Hack and Petty are and then work from there. I suspect McCown will win the job just due to his experience and Hack as #2. But we know what McCown is, and it's not good. If Hack or Petty can't take the job from him by the end of the season the chances are they won't ever be good enough either.

TonyFtLaud, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  20. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'd love for Hack to take over the starting position for next year. It's ideal if he improves and becomes our franchise guy. I'm excited the coaching staff isn't hiding him another year because that speaks to their opinions of him and a lot about what we'll be doing going forward. McCown isn't going to nearly land us in the playoffs. If one of the young guys can't outperform him then we'll definitely be entered in the Darnold sweepstakes. Furthermore, if we can trade down this year and rack up extra picks NEXT year, we'll increase our chances even further to trade up if we don't have the number one (provided the staff does their due diligence and we like one of the interesting QB options in next years draft). It's a win/win to play Hack at this point. Sink or swim, we can have our franchise QB in the next 2 years.

joe and NCJetsfan like this.