6th Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsfanHBca, Mar 25, 2017.

?

As Jets the GM who do you take at 6? Other than Garret anyone could fall

1. J Adams SS/DB

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. J Allen DE/DT or S.Thomas DE (Sorry limited slots & neither a position of need)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. R Foster ILB

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. L Fournette RB

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. M. Hooker FS

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. OJ Howard TE (Alabama Juice)

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  7. M Lattimore CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. QB (List below who)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Trade Back (List below how far & what you would exspect to get

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Other Player (List below who)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

LOL, i remember that character - used to pick up a few copies way back.

The Chuck McCann show - and I'm going way back also - had a character called Mr Backwards...real cool bizarre also

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd believe it when I saw it. He weighs 280 pounds! He's too big and too slow to play OLB. It makes no sense to think that he could, even if he lost 10 pounds, he'd still be 10-20 pounds too heavy and doesn't have the range, speed, agility necessary to be a great OLB. There's no point in drafting someone who would possibly be a great 4-3 DE and then making him play OLB in a 3-4 and his being only mediocre or average.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

LOL I hear ya. You aren't alone. I think there are a number of us in that boat.

nicg4360 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In my opinion, that's what I'm saying. Yes, of course, I could be wrong, but how many GMs passed on Favre? I stated upfront that it's a gamble, but worth it IMO. You don't agree. Neither of us can prove that we're right. Only time will tell.

As for playing in a "gimmick offense", from what I've seen and read, Mahomes can do what he does in any scheme. But of course it will take some adjustment for him to play in a pro-set. I think that he can make that adjustment pretty quickly, and be a better QB than the 3 the Jets currently have.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I mean that is just not possible at this point in time. That will take years most likely. He plays in a hugely gimmicky, one read, air-raid offense. How many of his snaps were under center? How many times did he throw to his second read? These are things you must analyze before saying he can do the same thing in a pro-style offense.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty easy to fool you. I guess you live in alternative facts world. Because his stats were just as good as Wilson. What round did Wilson go in again with those Big 12 stats?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Are you implying every Big 12 school runs the same offense? You can't be this stupid right? I already told you why Wilson dropped. Contextual statistics is a department you surely fail at.

8. ColoradoContrails

If you look at the video analysis I posted a few weeks ago it shows him going to secondary reads. And how often do NFL QBs take snaps under center these days? I'm no expert, so maybe he won't be able to adapt. but I'll be shocked if that's the case. And again, he's better than what the Jets have right now, so where's the down side?

boozer32 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

The Air-Raid offense is primarily based on pre-snap match-ups, rather than post-snap reads and progressions. He's going through pre-determined reads. FSU offense for example, is a true pro offense. Post-snap is essential.

10. Martin&theJETS

The fact that he is not worth a top 10 pick, let alone maybe not even a first.

11. ColoradoContrails

I didn't know that. Thanks.

And again, I admit he's going to need to make adjustments - probably bigger than I anticipated - but I still think he has the "goods".

boozer32 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

If he turns out to be a Favre or Elway, he'll be worth a #1.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Martin&theJETS

Yes of course. But that is not how drafting works unfourtantely.

14. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, sadly, I know.

And I understand that the stakes are a LOT higher for the guys being paid to be right, as opposed to someone like me who gets to spout his opinion for free, so the likelihood is that Macc will NOT take a QB at 6, but that doesn't change my opinion of what he should do IF he believes that Mahomes (or one of the other QBs) could be the FQB. But if he's not sure about that, then he'll probably draft "D" with the first pick, which would be a mistake IMO, unless it's Garrett (who isn't going to fall to 6 anyway).

So my more "conservative" approach would be taking Fournette or Howard at 6, and then - if Macc thinks Mahomes could actually play this year - taking Mahomes if he falls to their 2nd pick. If he feels Mahomes isn't close enough to starting this year, or he gets picked before they can get him, then I would wait a couple of rounds and grab Webb or Peterman.

westiedog1 and Martin&theJETS like this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm saying his stats are just as good as Wilson and nothing more. No gimmicky nonsense no conference difference in offenses. All I know Mahomes can throw it and throw it pretty successfully. With the right coaching and talent around him he can be just as successful as Wilson is in the pro's.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Using statistics as a way to evaluate a COLLEGE QB is probably one of the more dumber ideas in history. With your last sentence, ANY QB with the right coaching and talent around him can succeed, this is saying nothing at all. If Mahomes is there in the 3rd take a shot, but he's in no way is he a QB worth drafting in the first round.

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I chose OJ Howard. Here are a few reasons why:

1- It is a relatively safe pick. He is an all around TE who can block, use his athleticism and size to make plays down the field, and has played in a pro style offense.

2- He would help the Jets assess Petty and/or Hack this upcoming season. Giving them a viable threat over the middle of the field should help both of them (at least in theory).

3- I agree with most that this QB class is weak. Trubisky has 13 college starts (Yikes) and most of the other guys are projects (we already have two on our roster). Watson is the only guy I would be interested in, but he also has some questionable decision making (I believe he led the FBS the past two seasons with Ints).

All in all, Jets need to make sure they land a good player and I see Howard as a 10+ year starter sort of like DBrick was for the Jets.

#77 PennyandtheJets, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    hwismer, FJF and cgrec like this.
  18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

soloman thomas weighs just as much as myles garrett, who everyone is projecting to be the next great olb

thomas is not slow, at all. he ran a 4.69 and has great burst, as evidenced by his 10'6" broad jump

he is also incredibly agile. i constantly saw him sidestepping would be blockers and disrupting plays in the backfield. that is also backed up by his 3 cone and short shuttle numbers at the combine

what games did you watch that gave you the impression that he cant play OLB?

19. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

I voted to trade back, in hopes to accumulate as many future picks in 2018 as possible. We need as much ammo as we can for next year, because I believe they are going to forego drafting any QB this year in the hopes of landing one of Darnold, Rosen, or Allen in 2018. All of which are better than any of this years crop. I'd like to see them make a deal with Indy so they can jump up for a Fournette or Bolles/Ramczyk or Allen, and in turn grabbing their 15th, 2nd rounder this and next year, and 3rd round next year as well. Or even fleece them into giving up their 2018 1st in the deal. Then in turn draft a target in the mid-teens like Gareon Conley, Corey Davis, One of Bolles/Ramczyk if avail, or do another drop back into the late 1st for even more picks and then target TJ Watt, Kevin King, Charles Harris, Takk Mckinley, Obi. This draft should be all about accumulating picks in 2018 to use to ensure we get the QB of our choice in next years draft.

20. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that Thomas is slow, just too slow to be an ideal pass-rushing OLB. I just looked up his weight, and it is about the same as Garrett's but I know that earlier (a month or so ago) when I looked up his weight, he was listed at 280 lbs.

I thought I had seen Garrett's weight at less than 270 pounds earlier as well. IMO, that's just too heavy to ultimately be a great pass-rushing OLB.

I didn't see any of his games during the season, but have looked at parts of several, including the bowl win over UNC, and highlights video, and I just don't think OLB will be his best position.

To be fair, maybe I'm thinking too much about Rex's OLBs who were 270 and 280 and were just too slow. Pace was slow, but Bryan Thomas' 40 times were as good as Soloman Thomas and he was not an effective pass rusher. Maybe Thomas and Garrett are freaks and can do it at that weight. I'll still have to see it to believe it.

#80 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017