Jets sign a DL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LV Coach, Mar 22, 2017.

1. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Jets sign DL Mike Pennel. Why He was originally signed on Feb 4th but they didn't offer him a tender. So, he became a free agent.
    This sure as hell isn't what we need. When will we work on the key areas needed, like, OL, CB's safety's and a big tight end.
    This is from New york Jets.com, but I don't know if everyone gets to read it there.

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I got a fever. And the only prescription?

MORE DL!!!!

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This isn't what we need? I know guys get wrapped up on the names Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, but you did see how poorly all our D-linemen with names other than Leonard Williams played in 2016? It was pretty bad. Bad enough that it's probably worthwhile to sign anonymous D-linemen.

That said, sure, it would be more impactful to sign an anonymous CB, FS, or RG, but the Jets would surely overpay for one of those guys.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Pennel has a ton of potential. Because he has been suspended twice and if he fails a drug test again he's gone for a year, I'm sure that he is pretty cheap, probably the vet minimum. If he can get his act together and stay clean/straight, he could improve the rotational play at our NT position or even wind up starting. Signing a FA DL lessens the chances that the Jets would draft one, and imo that is a good thing.

Yes, we have other more pressing needs, but who would you have the Jets sign? We've already signed Claiborne, so I doubt that we would sign a 2nd CB. I believe we'll draft one, as we should. There isn't a young 2-way TE that we can sign. Rivera is pretty much just a receiver, and could help the team and the Jets have had him in for a visit. We'll see if they decide to sign him. At FS we could sign Bradley McDougald, but unless the Jets plan on cutting Gilchrist, I doubt that they'd do that. Bowles seems to like Gilchrist, so I doubt Gilchrist goes anywhere or we sign McDougald. I did hope and expect that Mac would sign a FA C and/or OG, but AFAIK, he hasn't even brought one in for a visit. Maybe he has talked to the agents for a couple and is waiting for the prices to go down.

He could be planning on carrying some of the cap over to next year as well, and I agree with that.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship!

Mo sheldon Leo pennel and a first rd pick our d line will be set

alleycat9 and Cman68 like this.
  6. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

maybe they plan to cut mc clendon? cap savings!

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Don't forget about McClendon...best DLineman available at #6 and it's a beast front!

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That thought crossed my mind as well.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Are we there yet?

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's a low risk high reward nose tackle.

Not sure why there's even a debate.

This is what they're doing.

It'll probably fail, but who gives a fuck?

This team is suck personified, anyone who follows them should expect the dumb moves and be surprised when those move work.

alleycat9 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Slowly working towards the master plan of starting 11 defensive linemen

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Snax left a big hole in the middle and McLendon didn't really fill it. The Jets played so much 4-3 as a result and it didn't work well with the personnel. Hopefully this guy can help in the middle so we can do what our defense does best and play more 3-4, just need to draft another LB. This could also be the writing on the wall that Sheldon's time is over here (at least I hope!!!).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

If only one of them could throw a football.

Cman68 and CONN-JET.2.0.3. like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't laugh. I know it means nothing, but this draft analyst, Bucky Brooks, on the NFL network has the Jets taking Jonathan Allen with the 6th pick of his latest mock. Hard to believe people get paid to come up with this stuff. I suppose it could happen because it's the Jets, but what a awful pick!

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You can never have enough: _______________________ !

16. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

BB also said that Jets would unload Mo for a 1st. I would be all over that.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Who would make that trade?

18. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Pennel is good signing and we have to remember the type of season we are going into as a rebuild. Signing more than a few vets who are over their late twenty is not something we need to be doing now. Let the young players compete for he starting positions knowing nothing is set in stone. Also given the performances that our depth players showed, a second straight year of equal or better play could have some of our OL issues held in a different light after the 17' season. We can view this upcoming season as the real test of what we have on the roster and help Maccagnan decide where to spend the money and draft come the 18' Offseason. I'm sure we will address G and C in the later rounds as I don't think we need to use high round picks at those position either. The offseason is not over by a long shot and we will see more bodies being added to the roster by camp.

19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Lost in this discussion was Maccagnan's decision to let Snacks walk. Some saying it was a big mistake as it wouldn't have been an unreasonable amount of money to keep him.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Ain't happening.