New Laptop Needed Other Than A Mac

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYJetsO12, May 17, 2015.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

On the new baby now. Setup was easy and connected to a WIFI operated at Wendys next door. Lets just say I am at a happy place right now just getting use to this machine, surfing net. Lotsa fun. Will connect Office 365 later

mute and Royal Tee like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

Ive had the new HP now for 5 days and really have no major complaints other than its slower than my old Mac. It takes about 8 seconds or more sometimes to go site to site, or post to post on TGG, but it is really a beautiful machine well constructed. I downloaded Updates for WLAN Bluetooth and HP Support and I think it runs a little faster. Still getting aquainted to Office but I look forward to getting plenty of work accomplished.

Just got a $9 Mouse from Amazon compatible with this Laptop and it makes usage 1000% easier

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

that sounds more like a connection issue if it's just slow interwebzing

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind building a good gaming pc...It could save me tons

5. NYJetsO12

yes I am working on it.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

any thoughts on going solid state in a laptop? definitely jacks the price up quite a bit but I'm willing to pay if it's worth it.

and I do run some resource intensive apps for work

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Might get better with windows 10 at the end of the summer since its suppose to be lighter.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

8. NYJetsO12

Ok Ill get it dowmloaded then thnx

9. NYJetsO12

I have had my new HP about 10 days now and I am satisfied just want to get that Windows 10 upgrade to help with internet. It seems to run better on Chrome vs IE. Otherwise, I am deciding what apps to keep or get rid of if I can, there are a lot of them.

Any suggestions?

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

My main DJ rig has 3 SSD's in it...
    Although it is 5 years old and only capable of SATAII connections, The main reason I did it was for a seamless upgrade when I get a new one and the speed for booting up and access to my setup is paramount..
    Also, My lap only had 2 HDD's. both 5400 and only 512gb. I removed my CD drive, installed a 3rd with a caddy and now have 3-1TB SDD's

I will say this. IMO, for a basic laptop most have 5400rpm HDD which for me is just too slow. Also, remember, at the current state that is the bottleneck component in a laptop.
    For the average user it may be just fine but in order to get full performance out of an SSD make sure your lap has SATA III if not I'd say only do it if you plan on then reusing it in another rig...

Also, I would only buy a custom laptop with components that I choose. Sometimes getting the components yourself afterwards (SSD, RAM, BR) yields a better build and better pricing. Not for all mfg but most of the big ones. This does require more research though as you have to find out what components are actually inside and the price etc...easily found on youtube...

I plan on a new lap within the next 12 mos.
    but really, I'm waiting for a unit that has the capability of hosting at least 3 SATA M.2 cards

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

you can reserve your windows 10 copy today by first updating windows then clicking the windows logo near the clock on the lower right corner of the screen.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just ordered a new laptop, seemed too good a price for what I was getting so wondering if I am missing something and hoping some that are more up on current computers would take a look.

HP Omen 15-ax033dx - 15.6" FHD - i7-6700HQ to 3.5Ghz - NVIDIA 960M - 8GB - 1TB+128GB SSD

EXCESS ITEM - BRAND-NEW (BROWN-BOX) - HP OMEN Notebook 15-ax033dx (NON-TOUCH), Windows 10 Home, 6th generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor, 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM (1 DIMM), NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M Graphics with 4 GB GDDR5 of dedicated video memory, 1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive, 128 GB M.2 solid-state drive, Finish: HP shadow mesh finish in onyx black and twinkle black, Front-facing HP Wide Vision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphones, 15.6 inch diagonal Full HD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080), 2x2 802.11ac WLAN and Bluetooth, Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader, Bang & Olufsen with dual speakers, Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad

Screen Size

15.6 inches
    Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM SDRAM
    Hard Drive 1 TB flash_memory_solid_state
    Graphics Coprocessor geforce gtx 960m
    Chipset Brand nvidia
    Wireless Type 802.11 A/C
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
    Brand Name

HP-Consumer Remarketing
    Series OMEN
    Item model number 15-AX033DX
    Operating System Windows 10
    Item Weight 4.8 pounds
    Product Dimensions 15.1 x 9.9 x 1 inches
    Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.06 x 9.94 x 0.96 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Count 1
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA, Solid State
    Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM

Paid $481 through Amazon but after I ordered couldn't find it anywhere else under $999, did I just get lucky on someone inputting the price wrong?

Let me know what you think.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Not bad at all especially if you found it brand new for that price. You won!

Since it is Amazon though double check to make sure the store you bought it from is legit. Does it have any reviews, etc? A lot of stores on Amazon give out massive discounts and the product never arrives to the customers. Its a common scam there. They're mostly sellers from CHINA! They will give you a tracking number hoping you will believe it is real but the package, whatever it is, is sent to a military base..

The Waterboy likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

That would suck after finding what seemed like such a good deal but it is a new retailer so it might be like you said. It is due to arrive between the 27th and the 30th so I'll know within a week.
    It's through Amazon, on an Amazon Store Card so if I don't get it I just get the refund, if I was using a regular credit card I would have been a little more wary.
    Bright side is while looking for the new one, I think I got my wife's laptop cleaned up enough and working good now. Microsoft update was stuck, had been hogging resources and slowing it to a crawl.
    Thanks for the reply.

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

if you can please send me the link to the store.

#75 mute, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. The Waterboy

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

18. The Waterboy

No tracking but already talked to Amazon to confirm I am covered if it does not arrive. Big benefit of using their card.

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

yeah. Amazon will always be quick to issue a refund. But IF you do get a tracking number create a thread here and ask if the package is coming in your area by posting the number and telling them you think its a scam, etc etc https://www.reddit.com/r/USPS/ USPS employees usually visit this reddit and try to help people while on their break. Response time might be slow.

The Waterboy likes this.
  20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

what's the update?