McCopter joins the Jets (1 year deal)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 20, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Why does anyone ever try to use statements like "yet somehow last year he still put 340 on the Jets"?

Do you think that is going to impress the TGG faithful in how good he is?

2. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Lol cool good sport about my tasteless joke. Thank ya! :) I'm more pissed about what they did to Mangold, honestly. I don't think these guys know wtf they're doing. And to your point if they think mccown will save their jobs with a winning season...man, I have a hard time subscribing to that. Either way I think we have a new coach and Gm at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

King Koopa likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It is not a bandaid. The team wants to be competitive. We are not tanking for #1 overall.. If Hack goes deer in headlights mode because the OL is decimated and our WRs are injured it would make more sense to pull him and save him. Then run McCown out there.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

We want to be competitive but we signed Josh McCown to be our likely starting QB...just doesn't make sense to me

He's terrible and fragile so it just doesn't pass the test to me

We're all just going in circles here...just hope Hack runs with the job or we got serious issues

5. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Jay cutler and chase Daniel being out there are the only reason I'm happy about McCown, even though he got paid entirely to much. Like it or not there was no way in he'll the Jets were going into the season without a Jag QB ( for whatever reason)

6. David-The-Meats-Harris

Oh believe me I'm quite aware it doesn't make him great, but putting up 340 still says a little something. Not even gonna address the last part. I'm not impressive on my best day

The Waterboy likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Geno has been pretty awful. IMO he was lucky that a team even wanted him.

You know the answer as to why we need an experienced backup. You just don't want to accept it. You're thinking like an emotional, impatient fan, not a GM. That's OK except it's not letting you step back and look at things from a logical perspective. Given a choice, no NFL GM would go into a season with three almost completely inexperienced QBs. It would be career suicide. It would have made the Jets even more of a circus and laughingstock if none of the QBs could play. You say you would accept that, but I doubt it. You and most posters here would have been screaming for Mac's head if that were to happen.

{QUOTE]You're a Mac apologist so whatever man...going into year 3 under Mac and the Jets are a complete mess especially at the QB position

Spin it any way you want...we're so far off from being a contender it's sickening[/QUOTE]

Call it what you like. I like to deal from facts and reason, not unbridled emotion, which is what you and many posters here are doing. You think from your heart, not your head. We NEVER have all the facts. It's easy for us to sit back, criticize and judge. We're not putting anything on the line and we have the anonymity of the internet. I guarantee you that if you were Mac and had a family to support and a career to maintain, you wouldn't be acting and talking this way. The Jets were a complete clusterfuck before Mac took over. We at least have some good young players on the team and a number of others who have shown potential. You seem to forget the organizational structure and how it is set up and that we have a clueless moron for an owner. I would like to see you or anyone here do better under the circumstances.

Your anger should be directed at Woody, Rex, Tanny, Bradway, Idzik and Bowles, and to a much lesser degree at Mac. He's made mistakes, but we all do, especially when we're new at a job and learning the ropes.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, maybe Elway had more confidence in Siemian than Mac does in Petty or Hack. AFAIK, Siemian wasn't coming off surgery, hadn't miss a chunk of practice the season before due to injury prior to that surgery, and didn't have the fundamentals issues that Hack has.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It is an insurance policy. Who would you rather have signed other than Geno?

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Do you think their situational hitting is going to be better this year? Their downfall has been lack of clutch hitting, feast or famine.

Jets69 likes this.
  11. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

McCown excerpts:

"He helped me fine-tune my mechanics and things like that," said Tyler Chadwick. "But the biggest thing he taught me was from a leadership standpoint. He taught me to lead by example. Be the first one there and the last one to leave."

Chadwick, who had a record-setting senior season under McCown's guidance, is now a baseball player at Coastal Carolina and remains close to his former mentor.

"He's so down-to-earth," Chadwick said. "I formed a friendship with him. To most people, he's an NFL quarterback. To me, he's just Coach McCown."

Josh is your consummate professional," Farmer said in a statement. "He's known to be a great guy in the locker room and will be great for the quarterback room. He knows how to get an entire offense on the same page and get a team to rally behind him.

“My expectation is to come into work and be available and be ready to do whatever’s asked of me. If that’s to bring along a draft pick and to start until that guy’s ready, then I’m willing to do that. If that’s to go the full 16, I’m excited about doing that. If that’s to help that guy as he takes over, whatever my role, whatever’s asked of me, I’m just here to win football games,” McCown said. “Whatever my role is, I’m all in. I just want to help.”

I look at it this way .. A few extra million is chicken feed to bring in a guy that has such a reputation of being a professional, as a leader and mentor. To me on this current rebuild team, it's priceless, especially when he has a history of going "all in" into the role of back up/mentor just as much as he has starter. Where we would be throwing money away on a clip board holder, we actually will have someone working for their money. We don't know how McCown feels about the situation and he's nearing the end of his career. This of course is my opinion but he may be tired of said backup/mentoring rolls and/or not as enthused about like situations in general anymore. I came uopn this excerpt:

"McCown says there was a point in his career when his job became "drudgery," which is why he's making the most of his opportunity in Cleveland."

McCown might be looking for his last chance to start some games while he's somewhat able to. And/Or perhaps during the visit, he gave off that vibe. One way to ensure better effort and enthusiasm is money, and in this case, McCown falls into Example A, below. I want a happy productive player, especially at that position. And to quickly add .. McCown's asking price has been $5 Mil per year.

Example A: There are employees of mine whom I have doing less than desireable jobs who I compensate with more money. They always do a great job for me.
    Example B: There are employees of mine who complain that they are not getting paid enough for a job that THEY think should pay more. The complainers that don't excel get canned and those that do excel get the money.

It comes down to what we need to keep whatever plan we have in motion and I think that's the youth movement. McCown IMO is the perfect fit, Daniels & Keenum are too young and not mentors. And one thing about mentors before I go on is that I think people are really confusing the role. The mentor is a more like a guide, an example, someone with knowledge and experience in the same field, that you can relate and talk to. The mentor is not a coach and is not responsible for the development of a player. I've read many posters looking for examples of McCown mentor success stories .. that's not how it works, although many players and coaches praise his work. It takes a specific type of person to be a mentor, traits that the person was born with, its not something you can just appoint someone to do. Mentors usually were mentors all along, until someone or someone's noticed, and took note. Everything you read about McCown's personality and lead by example strength in the locker room supports this. There are not too many backups in the league that have been labled of having these traits, especially the leadership trait, holding and keeping a steady locker room. It's not the end result by which you judge the mentor but by what they bring out of you. Anyway, could we have got him cheaper? Maybe. Would he have given his best effort in everything we expected him to do, especially in mentoring the youngins? Probably, but who knows. I'd rather make certain if it, and again we are giving him around his usual salary. Besides, he comes off the books next year anyways. Carryover money? We don't need the money now and a few million is NOT going to be the deciding factor in obtaining or losing a player. There are too many ways to play with the cap to even have to worry about that. On a team where youth rules .. having a guy to show them the right way to prepare IMO is worth the money.

#231 Pags2112, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Injuries cost them the division more than anything, throughout the roster, imo. It's extraordinary they made it to the post-season the last two years...... Then Madison Bumgarner in the post-season, and Familia cough cough again :mad:

Their roster and depth is much better, so Terry will have an easier time getting the right guys in at the right place. You have to have the players to do things like that. Look at Cespedes.....he was hitting on one leg and was still able to situational hit. It looks like Terry has moved Ces up to the three hole. That could be a sign that we'll see a little more of that when Jose and Grandy[in the two hole] are on base. You play to players strengths.
    It's on the players, and the roster is much deeper and versatile...as long as they stay relatively healthy. During the worst of those dry spells the roster was lacking and they still won in the end.

With Jose at the top of the order, and hopefully a few of the young guys maturing it should be much better: Conforto, Nimmo, Lagares, Wilmer, maybe Rivera, and hopefully d'Arnaud. If all those guys step it will be lights out

They're still gonna hit tons of HR's, and with Sandy it's about OBP%.

Noah, deGrom, and Matz look excellent...knock on wood.

The biggest concern to me is Familia, and the closer role. How is Reed gonna handle the role til Familia comes back? And Familia: he's coughed up both elimination games now. Can he conquer that?

Red Menace likes this.
  13. David-The-Meats-Harris

Hack could have something, who knows. He learned enough to have 1 good season. Pretty sure it wasn't luck, so I'll assume he's capable of learning. But at the same time there were enough Heisman busts that it's hard to say that season means anything. Really, who has hack been working with all this time, that he's more prepared than before. They suited his ass once and rolled up a newspaper to smack him on the head if he even thought about going near the field. So since then, what and who? I see mccown as the starting qb. I could be wrong though.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

NC, I don't know what his reasoning was but his backup Paxton Lynch had never seen a professional playbook until he was drafted.

The raiders did the same thing, Mat Mcgloin was an UDFA signee, he was the backup to Carr then they drafted Connor Cook and cut Shaub.

This idea that a team has to have a veteran QB in the fold is not a hard and fast rule that teams have to live by.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

What good season?

In his best college season, he didn't even complete 60% of his passes. But people think he can do better against NFL level defenses? Okay. Granted the team sucked but still. I expect numbers to go down from college, not up.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

At minimum, this was a better signing than Cutler or Kaepernick would've been. We'll go from there.

Pags2112 likes this.
  17. David-The-Meats-Harris

That was considered his best season. that lone season is what he's measured by. I agree. A single season of "showing something " is hardly something I'd consider in round 2. And frankly the odds are heavily stacked against him. What I've never heard is an unidentified team official/mate saying one of their draft picks at qb couldn't hit the ocean. I've heard all the scenarios...some of the axed staff said it...whatever. I've still never seen that before. It's suspect. He's suspect. The whole damn organization is suspect at this point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Geno Smith stinks at $2 mil > McCown who stinks at $6 mil

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

McCown hasn't won back-to-back games since 2004.

He's here to give the Jets a credible face to begin the season with next year. He's 2-20 in his last 22 starts and that's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Kerry Collins was 2-11 in the previous two seasons going into his job as opening day QB in Indy in 2011.

#239 Br4d, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like this signing :)

We need to lose a couple of more people

#240 Walt White, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Br4d likes this.