McCopter joins the Jets (1 year deal)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont even care about this move, its 1 year $6 million...Its not like we can roll out Petty and Hackenberg out there we need 1 more guy.

We are going to suck big time...If we get rid of Petty or Hack then I think we are going QB in round 1

FJF likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No way the Jets release either before the draft. As you said, obviously it would show their hand. I don't think this teams is as bad as people say though. The Jets were (5-11) last year and could have won many of the games they lost. Tanking sounds easy, but when you have young and hungry players, I don't think it happens. People want the Jets to get the #1 pick, but I think it is much more likely they go somewhere around (6-10) and (8-8) and end up with the #15 pick. Time will tell.

ColoradoContrails and nicg4360 like this.
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This team has become so pathetic it's really difficult to even discuss anymore..so what do they do after 1 year now offer this idiot 12M to come back? No, I guess not because this should be the final straw for macgagnan and bowles.

CBG likes this.
  5. Vida

Vida Active Member

Yeah the plan is to blow up the team and secure a top 3 (hopefully #1) pick next year.

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

How anyone could possibly be happy about or even optimistic about this, I will never know....

CBG likes this.
  7. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Geno blows. I'm not endorsing this move, but fuck 6 million tells you this is their starter. That's it. I'll take mccown over anyone we currently have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You wish... He can find work with a organization that knows about Qb's.. That rules out the Jets.

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

You guys can trash mccown all ya want, cutler would have been a disaster, Romo would kill himself before coming here...hoyer..Yeah right lol...Taylor stayed. That left what we have. Newsflash: what we currently have sucks beyond suck. Mccown will stand in the heat, take a shot and still make a better throw than any of them including Fitz. Really, you people are unbelievable sometimes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We really didn't need another "mentor". The kids need playing time, not more classroom. McClown may be a nice lockerroom guy, but do we really need another mentor? There is no substitute for experience and the only way Petty or Hack will ever get better is by playing, not by being mentored. Now if the Oline is a bad as last year's was, by all means play McClown. Otherwise, play the kids and let McClown be a new version of Brunell.

Wahoo, joe, ColoradoContrails and 3 others like this.
  11. David-The-Meats-Harris

Lol brunell is exactly what this stinks of. Honestly no coach or Gm is going to give up a season. It's not even the draft yet. He's not mentoring only, I don't think. 6 million says he's their starter. You guys should watch some mccown highlights. He's not nearly as bad as the shit we have.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wow... only Jets fans want to pay 15M+ for a backup/mentor one year, then complain about 6M for a backup/mentor the next year.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't really understand that complaint. 6M for a backup/journeyman QB is fair. Not to mention it is a 1 year deal.

NCJetsfan, nicg4360 and zace like this.
  14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't think many people here were happy that the Jets paid Fitz (I believe) $12M for one year. And they were proven right. However, at least her was coming off a statistically good season with a 10-5 record and the Jets were in a very bad place if they didn't bring him back. While I don't have a huge issue with signing McCown, the $6M plus bonuses are about $2-3M more what I would have like to have seen for a guy of McCown's age (38 by the time the season starts) and history (2-20 in his last starts). The $6M almost guarantees that McCown starts and that I would have rather have seen a true competition at QB.

That extra $2M could have been better used elsewhere. Perhaps they could have used it to sign Enunwa this off-season locking him up early to a more team friendly contract rather than wait until he (hopefully) has another good year and will be more expensive to sign.

It just seems to me that the Jets blinked first and that Maccagnan left money on the table again at the QB position. While having a mentor and a good locker room guy can't hurt, IMO the money is too much. I would have rather rolled the dice with someone else.

15. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Do people really think he's gonna earn that extra bonus to up his salary past the $6 mill. No chance. His season in Chicago was an anomaly where he lasted a good part of the season. He was also 33. 5 years older and only 2 years off of 40 when the season begins. Expect something more like his tenure in Cleveland...He could barely stay on the field. I would not be shocked to see him not make it past preseason.

zace likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah im not understanding the complaints either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#136 zace, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am not sure what Jets fans are thinking either. They need to understand that the team has decided to stop the bandaids and go for a full on rebuild. It likely means 2017 is going to be a tough season. 2018 things should start to take shape and 2019 the Jets could be legit contenders. That is the game plan and I think fans should at the very least give it a chance.

hwismer, NCJetsfan, zace and 2 others like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

100% correct. I don't understand why there are so many people that can't figure this out. What team rebuilds on the fly like we've constantly tried to do for the past 20 years? No one. It doesn't work unless you're the Packers (Favre to Rodgers) or Colts (Manning to Luck) and guess what... there ain't no Luck or Rodgers in this year's draft so clamoring for a QB isn't the wisest move.

This is why they always say you can't rebuild in NY. The media won't allow it and mostly, the fans won't allow it. It's happened with the Knicks for the last 20 years and now that the Jets are finally trying to do it for the first time in 20 years, half the fanbase revolts in what's really nothing more than confusion.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

CMAN - The last line summarizes perfectly what I think Mac position is.If TB sees otherwise, it will be a long, ugly season....and hopefully his last. If Todd has a football brain he should focus it heavily on fixing the defensive schemes in 2017.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said. Could not agree more. IMO the rebuild is in full motion. But I fear some are confusing rebuilding with tanking to get a QB in 2018. A concept that is insane in todays NFL.
    That is not going to happen, certainly not intentionally, and quite frankly I think this team might be more competitive in 2017 that we were in 2016.

hwismer and The Dark Knight like this.