Josh McCown visiting the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I suppose it depends on expectations. Personally, I think if he ends up becoming a reliable backup for the team then he was a success as a 4th round pick. He's shown moxie, a big arm, and a willingness to take shots down field. I'm happy with him yet don't see him as the team's "franchise QB".

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course they're going to sign a vet because that's what all the "smart" teams do, but I really question that. They're nowhere close enough to take advantage of any vet who might be good enough to get them to the SB - assuming they could sign such a player, and any other lower level QB would only block the development of the younger guys, as well as win just enough games to put them in draft purgatory. And as far as a scrub/OTH "mentor", what could they possibly show the new guys - how to lose more efficiently?

Really, the most logical thing for them to do is draft a QB and go into TC with those three, winner take all. I know that's NOT what Macc will do, but I think he should, then we'll find out pretty quickly where we stand with QBs.

Freddy Mondo and Pags2112 like this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's too early. I can see us picking up a TE AND DB in the third. This draft is deep at those positions this year, Mac better use this to his advantage, all eyes are on him and his staff!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

everyone loves the underdog I suppose. maybe Jet fans think he'll just magically become Tom Brady. Brady ran the pro style in college so there goes that comparison from the get go.

FJF likes this.
  5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Peterman is such a Mac QB type of pick...2-3 rounder with high football IQ and pro style offence experience with good measurables. Would not surprise me at all if this was our 3rd round pick. Throw him in to learn and be our 3rd qb behind Petty/Hack and who knows hopefully a sleeper who can beat both out.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can definitely see Macc taking Peterman and wouldn't be upset if he did.

nicg4360 and Pags2112 like this.
  7. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Hack has shown nothing. Huh. Makes sense since from day one they said he would not play last year so when the coaching staff did not turn out to be a bunch of liars he showed nothing. So you wish the coaching staff had lied about their plans for Hack and gone against what they had planned all along. Why would you want a dishonest CS?

FJF likes this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The knock on air-raid QB's is due to them thrust into a starting role and then they flame out because they arent ready. RG3, Geno, Vince Young, etc etc.

The Jets made an investment in Petty. They liked his makeup and gave him time to learn to be an NFL QB. I've stated ad-nauseum on this board the reasons I believe he has made consideral progress. As Mac said, its up to Petty to see how far he can go, but he has the possibility to be a starter. Thats a factual statement in my mind. It doesnt mean he will be a starting QB. It means he has alot of talent, maturity, works hard and has guts. Most importantly he has shown improvement. I most certainly wouldnt hand him the keys but If he continues to develop the Jets may have something.

xxedge72x likes this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree mostly. If Petty can develop into a reliable backup then he is a bargain for a 4th round pick. That is likely his ceiling and all one can expect from a 4th round QB. At this point it is unclear if he will develop into becoming a NFL caliber backup.

Hackenburg is a different story. He was drafted as he had the potential to become FQB. Even though the odds of him becoming a starting caliber NFL QB was and is low I have no problem gambling and losing a 2nd rd pick if there is a chance he could be our future. You almost have to take that chance and continuing to take chances on QBs. Although Hacks floor appears even lower than Pettys I like what tge FO did with both QBs in allowing them to sit and learn.

That being said I would not be surprised to see both Hack and Petty not on the roster in 2018 or even Petty being cut this fall if we draft another QB.

NOVAJET likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jets will be meeting with Chase Daniels today as well per Schefter

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Another stiff

joe likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hes a better option than mcclown though. Give me a guy hungry for a chance over a guy who's played everywhere and is just looking for another paycheck any day.. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.