Josh McCown visiting the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Mar 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that if there has to be a vet

I just don't see a reason why there has to be a shitty vet QB other than conventional wisdom which is just wrong IMO

Cman68 likes this.
  2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I feel confident in my ability to evaluate NFL talent, although I can only speculate at what the best way to develop talent is.

That said there is a general consensus that having a vet QB helps inexperienced guys out. Honestly I'm fine with the sink or swim mentality most of the time but when you have two guys that have a single NFL start between them I can understand wanting some experience on the roster as a contingency plan at least.

FJF likes this.
  3. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

If he doesn't...hello Jay Cutler!!!

4. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

It's not like we're talking about a talented roster that is missing a QB to have a legit shot at the playoffs, we're looking at a potential 3-13 type season, does it really matter if we take up a little cap room signing a vet as QB insurance at this point? As long as he's cheap it's nothing to.panic over

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm guessing they want to set the floor of what kind of qb play they will get this year. going into camp with petty/hack and a draft pick and you don't know if you can even run an offense. now, i like the idea of maybe grabbing a vet off the couch in august if it appears it is necessary but that won't happen either

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they sign McCown it tells me that they're going to look hard at Petty, Hack,and maybe a draftee, with McCown as "disaster insurance", which is fine. But if Bowles starts McCown "Because he gives us the best chance to win", he should be fired on the spot.

RuJFan, King Koopa and LAJet like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We started Sanchez before he was ready and we paid the price in spades and so did he. We started Geno way before he was remotely ready which turned us into the laughing stock of the organization. So in your way of thinking if something happens to Petty and Hack is not ready then we destroy him too by putting him in, until we find the scrub that should have been on the team so we don't destroy Hack or the new rookie QB without due diligence. If that is not a vacuum what is? If Bowles does not know how to deal with Petty young development and allow him to grow on the field then he is not a HC. In which case we should get rid of him and get a real QB mentor the kids.

jonnyd and hwismer like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, we should have already, but we haven't.

I disagree with your assessment of Sanchez. He did fine, as long as he had the talent around him. When he went off the rails was when the Jets allowed all that talent to disappear and relied on him carrying the team, which he was never going to be able to do, even if he was healthy. And I don't think Geno was ruined, I just don't think he was ever any good.

I think having McCown as "disaster insurance" is a good idea, but Petty, Hack and if they draft a QB early, all need to be ready to play ASAP.

westiedog1 and LAJet like this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

No thanks, crap is crap

King Koopa likes this.
  10. King Koopa

Fair enough...I just feel like I have no reason to trust Bowles to do the right thing

And why should I?

FJF likes this.
  11. King Koopa

Petty is either "ready" now going into year 3 or he never will be....im not worried about stunting his growth at this point as he already got his feet wet

Hack is going into year 2 and should be getting close as well to atleast compete

I understand not playing rookies and "ruining" their development but we're talking about 2 pretty high picks that aren't rookies anymore...if not now then probably never for these guys

My plan would be to start Petty if Hack or draft pick isn't ready...ultimately I would hope Hack could win the job but who knows

Petty vs McCown...not sure we win much with either but atleast Petty can maybe be much improved

#51 King Koopa, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  12. King Koopa

Exactly man...too predictable

Your plan sounds great and logical...but Bowles.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Petty. I'm hoping with our new OC we bring the best out of both him and Hack. Gailey was way too comfortable with Fitz and Bowles had no real clue.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Edited. Fuck it.

#54 ConcordeChops, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is why you have to hope that Macc has been giving the blessing from above to go through with this tank job. I mean they've already gone through a fire sale so you would hope Woody understands what's going on.

The less pressure there is from above to win = the stronger Macc stays the course of developing youth = the less of a need there is for Bowles to make decisions based off job security.

In my opinion, Josh McCown would fall right in line with that plan of building our youth. He's a good mentor that can step in and play in case of emergency.

RuJFan likes this.
  16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I just got the notification that they are indeed on day 2 of the visit, having contract negotiations.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm down to bring in Mccown as he's viewed as a good mentor. He can start the first 4-5 games and get benched after he sucks, possibly Hackenberg has emerged by that point or Petty gets a shot to prove himself.

vokab206 likes this.
  18. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

How is McCown any better than Fitz? Sounds like a repeat. Not a guy that's going to lift this team up and end our playoff drought.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Have you missed like the last month?

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I've been around. I guess I'm in the minority, but I want to see the jets try to win every game every season. Not a fan of tanking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.