Sam Darnold...ain't going to happen in 2018!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by UKGangGreen, Mar 12, 2017.

1. UKGangGreen

UKGangGreen Active Member

The forecast 2017 decline is, in my view, misguided. I can’t buy into us going 1-15, 2-14 next year. Ok, so we have lost a lot of high profile players from last year but not much in terms of productivity.

Marshall went AWOL in 2016 and Decker was injured for most of the season. Mangold missed the second half of the season, as did Clady. Revis and Fitzpatrick were terrible. Giacomini, well say no more. Geno was a little bit unlucky.

OK, so Marshall may rip it up for the Giants because he’ll have his mojo back, but anybody else we now sign is an upgrade. Beachum is not gifted, but he is solid. We should pick up a good CB in the draft. The prospect of a bridge QB such as Cutler/RGIII/McCarron is of course not very appealing but none of them are worse than Fitz was last season. A potential trade down to Cleveland from 6 to 12 would give us another 2nd Rd pick and, even at 12, we could pick up one of Kizer, Trubisky or Watson.

The o-line is decidedly average but I think it is better than in 2016. The young receivers have bags of potential and we could see a break-out year there (also possible with Powell). The LB’s are young and will in improve behind a line that needs to play to its talent level. We simply can’t be worse in the secondary…

So (perhaps regrettably) I don’t see us getting a sniff at Sam Darnold next year!

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Darnold is getting all the recent buzz but I think Rosen would be the guy to tank for

Peebag and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Eh, by next December we'll be tanking for some QB we haven't heard of yet. Then we'll win our last two and won't get him.

zace, ajax, alleycat9 and 8 others like this.
  4. UKGangGreen

I haven't seen UCLA play (limited access in the UK). I did watch Darnold against the Irish and PSU - wow! If Rosen is better than him...yes please.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

other than the Beachum signing, this team has managed to get worse. Depending on who starts for us at QB, I could see them getting a top 5 pick. Gonna have to work hard for top 3 though. Rosen or Darnold, I'm happy with either one. Just be in position to get one.

I would let Hack and some free agent scrub duke it out. Wanted Geno back for a year but that doesn't appear to be happening. I'll take RG3 for a season.

6. UKGangGreen

Where are we worse? We haven't cut 6 or 7 current great players - we've cut some former greats (Marshall, Mevis and Mangold), we've cut some garbage and we've freed up room to improve...

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As I opined on another thread, bringing in Cutler will make them just short of being a wild card team and way short of drafting a real good QB in 2018....I hope they don't - would rather have Geno back and let the dice roll ...

8. UKGangGreen

I certainly agree with you there but I would still draft QB in the first round if we could trade down. If not, we shouldn't go too far wrong with the likes of Hooker, Adams, Cook, Lattimore and Allen around. I watched Fournette a couple of times against Bama and was less than impressed.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is the argument for taking Mahomes or Watson this year. You can't count on the future. Even if Darnold is as great as his hype, there's no guarantee that he declares for the 2028 draft, and even if he does declare, there's no guarantee that the Jets will have a top 3 pick - and even less chance they'll have the #1 pick based upon your reasons. And forget about the Jets purposely tanking - it isn't going to happen. If Macc doesn't think Petty or Hack are the future, he needs to draft his future FQB now.

10. UKGangGreen

Yeah I totally agree. I'd happily draft QB, sign a bridge vet on the cheap and then let Petty and Hack fight it out for third string.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hello UK

Please check out the NY jets 2017 Schedule and tell me your thoughts..

You might change your mind how marvelous this team is going to do...lol

12. UKGangGreen

13. UKGangGreen

I never once mentioned we would be marvellous. If you can tell me how these cuts have made us worse I'd be more impressed than coming out with such a pithy comment....

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

There is no guarantee these guys will come out in 2018 either or that they will be healthy. It's over a year away.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I remember people saying we should tank for Cardele Jones when people thought he was a lock for the first round......he went what? in the 3rd or 4th round to Buffalo?

HomeoftheJets and BomberJet like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I will reserve judgement until after FA but this team is garbage right now outside the dline, Powell and Decker.

No corners, no qb, bad linebackers, bad safties, average o line, old man forte, bad special teams.

I'm usually pretty optimistic, but this roster is ugly right now. Again, FA just started and the draft is next month so things can obviously change.

BonScott, thankyourevis and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The schedule is tough. Even if we go with your point we will be better off without those guys. The schedule is brutal. Two losses against the pats. 0 and 4 against the NFC south. 0 and 4 against the afc west. Lucky if we split w buffalo and Miami. I think the other two games are the browns and jags. I'd say we'd split that. At most 5 wins next year. More likely 3. We'll be in the top 5 for darnold. Going to be a long 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thankyourevis and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. UKGangGreen

Bills, Panthers, Jags, Rams, Browns...5-11 again. Brutal and ugly but I think with a younger improving team. We just need 2 very good back-to-back drafts - now that really would be a miracle!

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Optmist.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

Given our qb situation unless it changes there is no way in hell we win even one game in the division next year. So it isnt that hard to see a 1-15...2-14 season. However we could always screw it up. Jay cutler is worth 3-4 wins a year. I know its early but when i read threads like this i cant help but wonder what team have you been watching. Petty cant move the ball at all.. and hack is not even worth talking about. They are not going to suddenly improve into a 7 win team thats just booze and delusion talking.

NYJetsO12 likes this.