Looks like I will be playing LT next season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 10, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There wasn't much else he could do after Brick retired at the last minute. What would you have done?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I just don't understand where our team is heading /going. We have cap space and yet no secondary, pass rusher, LT, etc....everybody keeps saying build thru the draft. Issue is we don't have many picks, it's not like we are the Browns with 15 picks...while the draft is fine, you still need to build with free agents. There are no more good secondary players left and Beachum is the only LT left and he sucks. It would be nice to see some movement in the right direction. While I agree with the cuts we made, I was under the impression it was to sign people. AJ, Tony Jefferson, etc....

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm actually quite good this fine afternoon -- Friday and a little snow always lift my mood :)

The sky is falling attitude is the norm here. I really shouldn't have been surprised. It's every off season - the same shit.

X position is not addressed
    There is nobody left in the FA, we should've gotten Y, Z or ABC!
    Incompetent FO
    Fire everybody, start anew

Same shit different year.

I'm not worried about anything this year. Literary, about nothing. This includes the draft, and the coaches.
    I got zero expectations, pure look & see. And this is applies to everyone on the team -- from waterboy to GM.

Do you really think that only you can see the gaping holes throughout the lineup? And do you really think that FO purposely doing nothing about it?

Just have a little patience and let this season play out the way it will.
    But then, asking a Jets fan for patience is like taking to a hooker about modesty.

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Jason Spriggs in the 1st and Deion Jones in the 2nd.

5. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Ugh I just threw up in my mouth a little bit seeing the name W*yn* H*nt*r... I can't bear seeing it again

Peebag likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And what was the rush to sign Ijalana (or martin or latimore) on of before the first day of free agency?? You think anyone would want any of the reserves on one of the worst teams in football?

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

My daughters boyfriend has his Pro-day April 7th so he is always an option.

8. NCJetsfan

I loved Spriggs and wanted the Jets to get him, but the Jets pick was #20 in the 1st round. Spriggs wasn't drafted until #17 in the 2nd round (pick #48). That would have been a HUGE reach. Mac would have had to have traded down out of the first or traded up in the 2nd. It takes trading partners. He tried to trade up to get Tunsil. I don't know how he had Spriggs or Stanley rated, or if he entertained any thoughts of trying to get one of them. I do think it was a big mistake for him not to have gotten one of those LTs in last year's draft after Brick retired, the fact that Clady was shaky due to his injury history, and that the OTs in this year's draft were not going to be very good.

9. NCJetsfan

No, I don't think I'm the only one who sees the holes. I'm on record of being a supporter of Mac and trusting in him. I know most others here see the holes as well. This is a discussion list and that's what we were doing. Sorry if you didn't like it (not really), but it's our right. It's not your right to try to play censor or moderator and tell us what we should discuss.

I'm happy for you that you don't care what happens. I do, however. I'm still passionately involved and care about what happens with this team.

I didn't start the thread, and I said that Beachum was still out there. That said, imo, there should still be a sense of urgency to get this resolved. We've already seen Petty seriously injured once because of suckass play at LT. I want to avoid a repeat.

10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

hey, we signed a tackle

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. I had about four months to put on 120 pounds.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Start eating. We're going to need depth. Plus I all ready bought your Jersey

14. NCJetsfan

-
    You're the one that's not making sense. Actually, you're showing your total ignorance of the FA market and who was available at LT, and what the Jets' options are for filling the LT position. You really should stop, because you're doing yourself no favors.

15. NCJetsfan

tom, we had to get at least one LT signed. Ijalana has been here, the Jets know him and he can also play RT. Thank God they did sign him. If someone else had signed him, and we didn't get Beachum, we'd really have been screwed at the position.

#55 NCJetsfan, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

We can relax a little. The Jets signed Beachum. We have some depth and a starter at LT, and if Shell falters at RT, Ijalana or Qvale can take over (or another player if the Jets sign a RT in FA or draft an OT).

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We don't have the cap space to fill all those positions. We need about $8.5 million to sign our draft picks. Plus we have to carry some money over towards next year and for possible in season additions if any injury or suspensions occur. The big difference between the cap space we now have and the space most other teams have is we can into the off season over the cap and had to create that space while most other teams came in with the space. That leaves more holes to fill. We are not going to realistically be ready to complete in one off season . You say you have to build with free agents but haven't you seen what that accomplishes ?
    Beachum is is fairly young , and had a down season coming off knee surgery. Playing on the line is hell on the knees so it's much slower to recover. He was a top 5 LT prior to the injury. That makes him better than 27 of the 31 other LTs starting in the NFL. How can you say he sucks?
    You need to have patience. I know it's tough but just maybe the franchise will be rebuilt the right way

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I will eat crow and happy to----this looks like a very good signing to me . Mike Mac gets props for this one but no time to rest on this there are OCEANS of holes to fill .

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Ideally...after a nice trade down..we have a decent number of picks in rounds 2-3 to nab a guy like Ugokwe or Garcia to marinate for a year before possibly replacing Beachem..We can then send Qvale packing...

Than again...depth at Guard is even worse. Not thrilled w. Dakota Dozier

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

sorry cannot agree. I have great respect for your insight, but Ijalana is a backup at best and would NEVER have gotten $11M on the open market IMO. In addition, this again demonstrates the major reason why the jets never have a solid OL. They rely on career scrubs like Ben I. to man their OL while smart teams like the Cowboys USE THE EARLY DRAFT to build a decent OL, Mac's signing of Ben I. and Beachum ( a better signing than Ben I) ensures that the jets will AGAIN ignore the OL early in the draft. The LAST time the jets were smart and focused on OL early in the draft was 2006 when they drafted 2 first rounders. Brick and Mangold IMO were a large reason why the jets went to the playoffs in 2006, 2009 and 2010. The jets have ignored the OL early in the draft since then, reaching for the Dexter McDougles and Devin Smiths, and THAT is why they are never in the playoffs anymore IMO. I realize this year's draft does not have a stud OL save Robinson, but Mac has stated on more than one occasion that he thinks an OL can be built with late rounders and free agents--He's right--it CAN be built with those kind of players-- if you want your QB killed. Ask Petty about his protection last year when he got sandwiched.

Red Menace likes this.