The Case for a trade down and McCaffery

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2017.

?

Which Scenario do you favor?

1. Trade Down and McCaffery (hypothetical as no trade has happened)

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Fournette at 6

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Cook at 6

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Another Player at a different Position

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

To me, this might be the ideal draft day scenario. There are several reasons behind my thinking so here they are:

1- Help for Hack: McCaffery would provide him with a player that could ultimately catch short passes, split out in the slot and ultimately lead the team in carries. In my opinion, having a player like him would be a big help to a young developing QB. The Jets also need to do all they can to give Hack a reasonable chance for success. Otherwise, what the hell was the point in drafting him? We all have the sinking feeling that Hack is no good, but without adding young talent on offense, we can't truly assess him.

2- Great College Player/Playmaker/Pedigree: These aspects are self explanatory. He was a Heisman Finalist, he makes plays running, receiving, returning, and his Father is a former starting WR in the NFL.

3- Playstyle: I believe a RB like Fournette, although jaw dropping, will likely have a shorter career than McCaffery. McCaffery can make plays in the passing game that Fournette can't and I just see Fournette taking too many hits from his play style. McCaffery will be much better in avoiding the big hits and isn't a power back. (I prefer all around RBs like Curtis Martin than a power back)

4- An extra 2nd rounder or simply extra picks: We all know the Jets need an infusion of talent and youth. Trading down into the early teens would be ideal and would still net them extra picks that they desperately need.

5- He isn't just a RB (not a luxury pick): I am a firm believer that RBs drafted in round 1 are only wise for teams who are contenders or teams on the rise. Yes, McCaffery does play RB and the Jets are likely to have a losing record next year, but he can play all over the field so I dont just view him as a RB. I view him as RB who can split out as a WR. This is a rare combination of skills.

Now having said all of this, I view the Jets Oline as priority #1 this offseason. If they do nothing to fix the Oline during Free Agency, then I would despise the selection of any RB in the first round no matter who it was. My assumption is that the Jets will sign 2 starting caliber Olineman to pair with Winters and Carpenter. If I were the Jets, I would sign 2 vets and draft two young blockers (2nd and 3rd Round).

I know that this thread is lengthy and I know that there are a lot of threads created at this time of year, but...I don't care

I can't recall the last time I started a thread so if you don't like it, you will just have to deal with it.

Thoughts?

#1 PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't mind this at all. There is no blue-chip OL prospect after all. Ramczyk at 6 is a disaster to put it lightly.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Right now two of my favorite players are OJ Howard (should be there at 16, could go as low as 21? but might not be there if we go that low) and Forrest Lamp (after that combine he is in the 22-28 range I think).

Howard looks to be a complete TE that can block and be a threat out of the backfield.

Forrest Lamp is the next Sweeney / Mawae / Mangold.

If we play things right we could end up with these two guys instead of using our first rounder on one player.

As far as RBs go Kamara and Mixon look like studs that could be there at there for us in rounds two and three respectively. If we move up a few spots from our second round spot we might even get McCaffrey.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

I know this is an incredibly deep RB class, but I feel like a team is going to fall in love with McCaffery for his versatility. I could see him going higher than Late first round. Of course I could be wrong, but that is just a gut feeling I have right now.

Side note: Didn't Mixon punch a woman in the head? I don't care how talented he is...PASS

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  5. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

That would be a dream but I've given up hope that we will ever be able to successfully trade down. It just never happens with us.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

But Penny aren't you making the glaring assumption that Chris Hackenberg AKA macs dirty little secret can actually throw a pass?

Getting to your other points they are good Macafferty is a fine utility player, the OL needs work more important ...so many holes to fill on the team means a quantity (trade down at 6) of players...Lets not shoot our wad for one position at 6 but get all the tools we need at rnds 2-7

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

Trust me, I don't feel good about Hack being our "QB of the future", but in order to truly assess if he is any good, they need to repair/replenish the Oline and give him some weapons. If he is garbage, you replace him following the season.

FJF, NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  8. James Hasty

If Mixon didn't punch that woman he would not be available outside of the first round.

Adding talent to this weak ass team means looking in the bargain bin for guys like Mixon that can help us.

FJF likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't like trading down, but your scenario would work for me IF we got enough in return. Grabbing Lamp, and then maybe McCaffery would be great.

That said, I think McCaffery is kind of a "tweener": He's not quite as good as Fournette or Cook, so he doesn't warrant the pick at 6, but he won;t fall to the 2nd in all probability, so you have to decide what you need/want with that mid-late round 1 pick. I don't see McCaffery as adding that much to this Jets team as maybe some other RBs that you could get in a later round, so I would take Lamp who, like you, I think will be great for them for a long time.

EDITED:

I really see the PATS taking McCaffery - he's a perfect fit for them, and would probably kill us for years.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think this is logical and well thought out... I just don't necessarily agree with it.

I think if we can run this scenario and grab McAffery in the 2nd then it'd make a ton of sense, but it sounds like McAffery is a 1st rounder. This would skew my opinion one way or the other.

And while your points about how McAffery could help out Hackenberg (or whatever QB is in) are true, someone like Fournette would also help our QB, perhaps just differently. When you have running back who is as big a threat as Fournette is, then you force defenses to stack the box. When the defense is stacking the box, a good quarterback could have a field day. An average / mediocre QB won't take advantage and will make a pick like Fournette look short sighted and shitty.

Also, yes, offensive line. It's everything. It doesn't matter what the rest of the configuration on offense is until the Jets get this right.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

All I can say is when the Jets' pick is announced, it will be a player no one on TGG has even mentioned as a possibility.

Burnz, zace and Longsuffering88 like this.
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I thought Pats too

But even thus guy is too hyped for Pats to pick

13. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

I hope this doesn't happen. Reading this got me upset.
    I am praying the Jets don't do the TE route in Rd1. Never worked. Frustrated die hard.
    Just off the top of my head NYJ draft pick TE's 1ST RD
    Johnny Mitchell
    Anthony Becht
    Kyle Brady
    Dustin Keller.
    To me 4 nothings. Could of got same production from a 5th rounder or undrafted too. Just saying.
    I wanna say we could of had Sapp, BUT as usual we pick Brady. This team i love does not understand.
    I hope we don't go TE. I'm sick of this, never worked yet.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

ill go right on ahead and pass on mccaffrey every single time. i dont see him as a game changer in the nfl. i am all about trading down whenever it makes sense, especially if there is not a guy the fo feels is going to be a difference maker at the top.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO Trading down and taking McCaffery would be dumb. I would want Mac fired immediately. McCaffery isn't all that. He's more receiver than RB imo, and not a starting RB in the NFL. He can't carry the ball 25-30 times a game if you wanted him to. We already have 3 RBs who are very good receivers. We don't have a power back, or a starter who can be a workhorse.

If we trade down imo it should be to take a QB, Howard, or either Ramczyk or Bolles.

nicg4360 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep, and so did Cook.

17. James Hasty

My position on the running backs is this:

There are five RB
    Kyle Brady helped us get to the AFC Champtionship game. He was an amazing blocker.

Anthony Becht was a very good player for us as well.

Johnny Mitchell was one of the most talented players on a bad Jets team. Hard to blame him for our problems when we had Dick Kotite for a coach.

The only one I never liked was Dustin Keller.

OJ Howard ran a 4.51 in the 40 yesterday. That is faster than most of the WRs.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This dude has Patriots written all over him. Then when his first big contract comes up he'll turn into the invisible man for some stupid AFC team, hopefully not the Jets.

nicg4360, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. James Hasty

After the combine he had I would say that he isn't falling that far except that Kamara also had a great combine.

Could we see four RBs go in round one with all of the talent in this draft?

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He is just a slightly bigger version of Darren Sproles. I'll pass as well.

NCJetsfan and alleycat9 like this.