Would you hire Curtis Martin to replace McCagnan next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Feb 27, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Hiring former players to serve as the governing bodies of NFL franchises is in vogue thanks to success of John Elway.

With Mangold retiring I think he could potentially be an option one guy (same with Brick).

However for me the guy I would look at would be Curtis Martin. He always mentioned being interested in ownership and this could be a good way for him to get his feet wet.

Unlike Peyton Manning and John Lynch I don't see Curtis as a guy that eats, sleeps, and breaths football but like Elway he seems like he's one of those "smartest guy in the room" kind of people and is successful at whatever he does.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

What do we have to lose?

Royal Tee, Ozymandias and JetsVilma28 like this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Ownership takes money, being a GM takes a lot more, C.M. has never expressed a desire to be a coach or GM. Elway co-owned an AFL team, restaurants, car dealerships, etc. before vecoming VP of Football Operations which he worked into being the GM.

Martin was a great football player, thinking he could be a GM because of that is really based on nothing. At least a QB can sometimes be viewed as a coach on the field and might give an indication if a player might work out as a real coach, a RB, not so much and to think you could throw Martin right into the GM position is somewhat ridiculous.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you needed surgery would you hire the guy who did a great job of tiling the operating room? Has Martin ever even had a job in the business world?

5. Christian

Christian Active Member

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why in the hell we would fire Mac and replace him with a former player who has zero experience in scouting and personnel? I swear dude, you have some of the wildest ideas I've ever seen. Do they come to you while you're dropping acid, or are you smoking some good shit?

7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Not sure that owning an AFL
    What scouting experience did Lynch have? Also I am not hiring Martin to be head scout. I am hiring him to run the football operation.

Curtis spent most of his careee around Bill Parcells. You don't think he knows how a team should be built?

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm still putting my trust in Mac to right the ship...these things don't happen overnight.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jethro.

1. Mangold didn't retire.
    2. Enough with this bullshit. STOP.

10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I have heard that Martin's hobby after retirement is running businesses. So he is probably not a dumb guy and can probably understand managing the cap. But if I was an owner of the Jets, he would not be my first choice.

Both Elway and Lynch went to Stanford, there seems to be a lot of Stanford connections in the NFL. I even heard at one point NFL executives actually attend this school for football seminars. I wonder if there is a Football 101 course there?

Sorry I went off on a tangent, back to the subject of Martin. Business is business, Jets fans should not want a guy just because he is an ex player. Being a Jet's GM maybe one of the most difficult GM positions in the NFL.

You have a meddling owner with little patience that will replace you in a moments notice. You have a fan base that is completely frustrated and can always go see the Giants when they have had enough. The media is brutal and will without hesitation question everything you do. Heck you need someone like Donald Trump who has thick skin and doesn't care what people think. Oops I forgot about the New Jersey Generals!

Sorry, Curtis Martin is probably not your guy to save this franchise.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If Curtis wanted anything to do with the NFL he would have signed up again by now

One of the Jets best but I'll pass.....

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yes, but only if he can get chad to be o.c., klecko for d.c. vinnie for h.c.
    Al toon for wr coach, brick for o.l. coach, marvin jones for lb coach, marty lyons for dl coach, aaron glenn for secondary coach, freeman mcneil for rb coach and pat leahy for kicker coach.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I don't see that Lynch had any experience but he also has not had a draft yet, nor really negotiated any big contracts just a few contracts to bit players, we'll have to see how he does before saying if his hire was the right decision.

I think Martin being around Parcels, in and of itself, means absolutely nothing.

14. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

If Curtis wanted to return to the front office at a low level and learn the business I could see him, or someone like him, maybe in five to ten years running the team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you're hiring Martin to run the football operation, that's one thing, but your title question is would you hire CuMar to replace MacCagnan. Mac isn't the VP in Charge of Football Operations or the President of the team. He is the GM. He runs scouting and personnel, the draft, handles the cap, and negotiates contracts with players. You're obviously high. You don't even know the question you posed to start the thread.

I don't know the capacity in which Lynch is working for the Broncos, nor do I care. If they're stupid enough to hire him to be their GM when he has no experience in scouting or personnel, that's their problem. It doesn't mean that we have to be stupid and follow suit. One organization doing something doesn't mean it's "in vogue."

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Curtis should be given Woody's job while he is in the UK. He'd be great in that position and bring respect to the organization. Curtis for team President.

17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

^ insert approximate meme to display befuddlement

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I would prefer that my GM have a little experience running a team.

19. I wouldn't want him as GM...

I'm all for a "football first" figurehead Prez of football operations as a bridge between ownership & the personnel dept. That's where a guy like Martin would make sense. That said...he doesn't display the passion & fight this team really needs from that type of post. Who do I like for that role? Brace yourselves. Herm Edwards.

20. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Why would a beloved ex-player want to be hated by so many?

PennyRoyal10 and NCJetsfan like this.