MeanDean Mock PreCombine

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Feb 26, 2017.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Im not going to go into great depth. I'm just going to get to it. Also, this is more of what I would like to see, I haven't went team by team yet to determine odds of perse.

1) Corey Davis, WR, WM
    This likely won't be a very popular pick for this board. However, I've been watching a lot of his games as of late and I come away impressed everytime. The more I think about the WC system we will likely be running with Morton, the more attractive this player becomes. Aside from that, he is a stud. No joke. Very strong at the POA, smooth hips, great routerunner, good frame, amazing hands, amazing 50/50 game, great RAC player. I think he is the best WR in this draft and would be an amazing player for us.

2) TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
    I am extremely surprised how undervalued this player is. I'm not even talking from a perspective of him being the younger brother of JJ Watt. This kid is a good football player. High motor, great hands, strong, nasty streak, good technique, good speed, very good tackler, always productive. He's a bit of a late bloomer I suppose but his film looks really good. I would be surprised if he made it to our second round pick but I would be thrilled if he did.

3) Pat Elfien, C, OSU
    The experts are down in him because he doesn't have the measurements you would typically look for in a center. I think it's nonsense. I still think he is the best center in this draft, he is an amazing run blocker, good pass blocker, high football IQ, a leader. He has been the best OL for the Buckeyes the past two years, easily. IMO That is including Taylor Decker in that equation. He will likely go higher than this as well, he should anyway, if not he would be a steal at this point. Truly believe that.

3) Howard Wilson, CB, Houston
    I really like this kid and I think he has a ton of potential. He is strong, good height, blankets receivers consistently, has fluid hips, and almost always locates the ball, is good at getting his head around. I think he will be a steal in this draft as well. He doesn't have the athletic gifts like a Lattimore does but he has been more consistent and can locate the ball. That's always very important to me, I would look for that over physical attributes any day of the week.

5) Richie Brown, ILB, Mississippi

Another good football player. I went with speed here, not as fast as Dlee but enough speed to hang with most backs in the NFL. Solid tackler, great against the run, good in pass coverage. He has to get a little stronger I think but he is someone that could be a starter with proper development.

6) Zane Gonzalez, K, Ari State
    Not much to say. He is easily the best kicker in this draft, we need a kicker. He's a good cheap option for the future at kicker.

7) Ethan Cooper, G/OT, Indiana-PA

Admittedly I haven't watched much on, Ethan. I do have people around me that rave about this kid. He has the speed to play at tackle but he has the body of a true guard. He has good feet and quickness. Decent power and an impressive kick. Someone that could be evaluated at multiple positions a long the line, could be groomed to start in the future. Good depth player.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, on the plus side, you do take "O" first, and look for a pass rusher 2nd. But I have to question your choices. Do you really think a WR - no matter how good he is - is the "cure" for this offense? Setting aside QB, which I presume you don't see any of the candidates as worthy of a #6 pick, you don't think a stud RB like Fournette or Cook would have more of an immediate impact, especially since we don't know who the QB will be, and whether he can consistently get the ball into the hands of a WR? Or even Howard, who as a TE and a receiver, also brings punch to the OL? No, to WR on your first pick.

As to TJ Watt, is he really a 2nd round pick? There are a lot of better pass rushers you could choose from that will likely be there with their 2nd pick - Tim Williams, Charles Harris, McKinley, Charlton - and all are rated higher. And Watt has only played one full year as OLB. He might have a big upside, but I think he's a reach with the 2nd pick.

If we got someone like Elfien with the 3rd pick, I'd be happy.

As for the rest, there's too many variables to say who might be available to argue against your choices.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

To start, I don't go by media basis, I watch my own things, I watch these prospects for myself, then I come to a conclusion that I find to be true.

Doesn't mean it is truth but it's my best established truth for myself.

With that said...

After watching Corey Davis play in college this past week, everything I've seen, I truly think he will have an impact just like OBJ had his rookie year. I think he is going to be that good based on his tape. He is an impressive player.

I do not think there is a single player in this draft that is the guy to cure this offense. I do not value any of these QBs high, I think Kizer is the best out of the top 4 talked about guys, even with that, I wouldn't take him in the first.

Fournette has incredible potential but his run style and injury history leads me to believe he won't be that effective because he's going to be hurt more times than not.

I like Cook but I don't think he is in the conversation amongst the top guys to come out lately. I don't think he's a better prospect coming out than Melvin Gordon. So, I wouldn't take him at 6 at all. Trade back, maybe, still not a huge fans personally.

A TE at 6 doesn't make sense to me at all.

He's young, the idea is to build a team that can function effectively while we seek our future FQB. So, he has room to develop and be a spark in the meantime.

Taco is the only guy you mentioned that I have higher than Watt. I think Taco will go in the top 20 picks before it's all said and done.

I can't stand the idea of drafting Williams, that would be an awful pick. I think he is a one trick pony and most the things he did in college won't even work in the NFL. He reminds me of Maybin. No thanks.

I encourage you to do your own research and watch these kids play in actual games. Entire games to get a good feel of their capacity. I hate highlights because it's never a true depiction of these guys, it gives you an idea but it doesn't paint the whole picture.

TJ Watt might be my favorite player in the entire draft. I would be thrilled if we drafted him. He's got a ton of great work in one year as a full time starter. I think he's going to be a stud.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate that you can devote this much time to this, and this is why I participate in this forum, to get better/deeper analysis than I can afford to spend. That said, I'm not devoid of data and experience with which to form hopefully educated ideas.

With that said, I still disagree that a WR, no matter how good, is the best addition to this team at this point. Would he make a positive difference? No doubt, but there are others who IMO would make a bigger impact. Yes, IF Fournette gets hurt you can say, "See? I told you so!", but it's not like the guy has been an injury magnet - like Dee Milliner. Fournette combines freak size AND speed, as well as pass catching and pass blocking ability. And it's much easier to get the ball into is hands, even if your QB can't throw. Cook is nearly as good, and the same comment as to getting the ball in his hands applies. And again, I don't see how you value a WR who pretty much has to rely on the QB to make an impact, over a TE who also improves the OL.

I admit I have not seen TK Watt play, and his pedigree is obviously great, and he sounds like a guy the Jets could use, but I don't think he has to be grabbed with their 2nd pick, I think he'll fall lower. I would prefer taking Malik McKinley who is also a physical freak and can play multiple roles, most importantly pass rusher, but also NT. He's a "poor man's Garrett" from what I've seen and read, and would help both the pass rush and secondary.

Anyway, I appreciate your analysis, and acknowledge that you may be right, but for now, I'm seeing things this way.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Freddy Mondo

Freddy Mondo Active Member

T.J. is an intriguing prospect. I haven't watched enough college football to effectively evaluate the players. I have heard that he's had his fair share of injuries. That might be a concern. It wouldn't surprise me if the FO targeted him. With his high work ethic, it would be interesting to see how Greene can develop him.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What ? No one from Michigan?

BOOO..

Freddy Mondo and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not bad for staying put but trades would have been cool.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Get the kicker out of there and we have something to chew on.