Championship games

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Actually this is a myth. The Doll-fins were actually pretty good this year, and even the Bills were respectable. Put it in perspective, all the teams in the AFC East combined for 36 wins this year, which is second in the AFC (AFC West - 38 wins), and third in the NFL (NFC East - 39 wins). AFC Central (Steelers) teams combined for only 26 wins, and AFC South combined for 29 wins. And the Patsies go through the Steelers and the Colds like a power saw, so even your hypothetical division is not likely to really cause them problems.

Also shows how high a mountain we have to climb to get good, and how many teams we need to pass...

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I'm arguing the NFL lacks parity. And divisions are the main reason why. AFC east is probably the best example in the NFL of the lack of parity.

I'll say it again...quickest fix for more parity in the NFL....eliminate divisions, conferences only. No more playing 3 teams twice a year.

Check out the awesome parity in the AFC east looking at division record of the Pats only:
    New England
    2016: 5-1
    2015: 4-2
    2014: 4-2
    2013: 4-2
    2012: 6-0
    2011: 5-1
    2010: 5-1
    2009: 4-2
    2008: 4-2
    2007: 6-0
    2006: 4-2
    2005: 5-1
    2004: 5-1
    2003: 5-1

That's "parody", not "parity" ;)

ps Colts would not make my fictional division, they do suck....that was a mistake. If we were going to keep divisions, I think they should change every season based on how teams finished in the post season; and how the other teams finished in the regular season... Looking at post season first; the division the pats would be in 2017 would be Pats, Steelers, KC and Texans.....That would create more parity. The other divisions would be:

2017 divisions (imagination land of NFL parity)

AFC

Top tier I
    Pats
    Steelers
    Chiefs
    Texans

Tier II
    Raiders
    Dolphins
    Titans
    Broncos

Tier III
    Ravens
    Colts
    Bills
    Bengals

Tier IV
    Chargers
    Jets
    Jags
    Browns

NFC

Tier I
    Cowboys
    Falcons
    Seahawks
    Packers

Tier II
    Giants
    Lions
    Buccaneers
    Redskins

Tier III
    Vikings
    Cardinals
    Saints
    Eagles

Tier IV
    Panthers
    Rams
    Bears
    49ers

Divisions would change.....everything else concerning seeds and making the playoffs would remain the same. Much more parity.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This board is a cesspool of posters complaining the playoff games aren't competitive as it is. This alignment would blow the roof off the place.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. JetsVilma28

Disagree. I think this setup creates much more competitive regular season. We have all seen what happens once a team starts winning, they gain confidence and many get "hot" down the stretch. Combine that with a post season home game spells upsets and much more parity within the league.

One thing I can tell you for sure right now, without question. The New England Patriots will host another home game in the post season next year. This is because there is no parity in the AFC east. It's a gift wrapped division for the Pats. 2 decades and counting. No parity.

With a 5-1 or at worst 4-2 division record, next year... the pats put themselves in comfortable driver seat to capture 1st or 2nd seed which guarantees a bye and a home game in the post season. Under the current setup we will likely see the Pats in the AFC Championship game again next season. More likely than not hosted in Foxboro/borough

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

meh, what do you do in 3 years when tammy retires and the pats come back to the pack? wedon't needto realign because some teams have been stuck in neutral or reverse for a while. these things tend to be cyclical

6. HomeoftheJets

The setup is totally unfair. There's no way I could justify putting the us or the Chargers in the playoffs when much more deserving teams would be left out. If you want parity, find a way to make the bad teams better, not put them in the playoffs when they don't deserve it.

7. JetsVilma28

Honestly, I think the NFL should do away with divisions all together. Playing teams twice as season should be a thing of the past. Play 16 different teams and a random bye week. That would be the easiest way to create more parity. Belichick has this division figured out. Forget Brady, insert whoever. Under Belichick at worst he will go 4-2 in the AFC east. He owns the Bills, Jets and Phins.

However, I do like the changing division system. I think we would all be surprised to find a team in Tier IV advance to Championship rounds or dare I say the Super Bowl. The following season they would be relegated to a higher tier division. I think there would be a creation of much more parity through a system like this.

Anyway, unless BB proposes this change to the league, i.e. with his blessing.... The league will remain the same. BB is going to own the AFC east for as long as he decides to coach. BB has the AFC east in his back pocket.

One thing is for sure the Pats will win the AFC east next season and host at least one home game in the post season. It's a foregone conclusion. 5-1 or 4-2 division record. Likely, they secure the 1 or 2 seed and earn a bye as well.

8. JetsVilma28

Doubtful. Pats reign the AFC east until BB retires and maybe long after. 5 steps ahead of the rest of the division, it's almost like he is inside the other camps; easily able to out move, adapt and stay ahead of the rest of the division. At this point, AFC east, it's not even close to parity.

9. HomeoftheJets

I wouldn't mind doing away with divisions, that would be fairest thing to do. Some fans like division rivalries though. Mostly when they aren't totally one sided against them lol.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

That's because he has been inside other team's camps, their huddles, their signals from the sidelines, the play calling etc.

11. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Great. Then we can finish 15th instead of 4th.

Ron

12. CountTheRings

CountTheRings New Member

Houston was a competitive game and the Steelers good god that was a BEATDOWN. I fully expect us to manhandle the Falcons next Sunday.

13. HomeoftheJets

Who roots for the Pats and the Yankees?

14. CountTheRings

CountTheRings New Member

Born in Brooklyn and moved to Worcester when I was a kid.

15. JetsVilma28

Fixed
    Zzz

Snap snap back to reality:
    2018 Pats at worst 4-2 in the division. AFC east champs. Home field berth at worst. Likely bye and homefield throughout.