Grading Mike Maccagnan on the Jets' 2016 NFL draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Recently the major progression has been on the field year 1. If they're not ready to go year 1 they're generally not ready to go at all.

In terms of winning playoff games that's always been year 1 to year 2 for most QB's. It's hard to win a playoff game against a good veteran QB when you're a rookie.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Watch his tape from Clemson and tell me that he can't be a #2.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Lee- He goes in the "+" column for me. He's gonna bulk up(and needs to) but also needs to learn to use his quickness & bend to get around blockers/traffic.The coverage thing I think is overblown..and will drastically improve year 2. He's a leader,he tackles & he can play in space. Jets don't have many others saying the same thing.

Hackenburg- Incomplete. Everyone forgets the Giants preseason game.His first action when he played relatively well.The Eagles game wasn't pretty..but the whole offense was struggling.Other than that..we have nothing else to go on.He had good & bad moments in TC. The supposed plan all along was to let this guy sit & learn. So on with the plan.

Jenkins- Think he's a good niche player. Can fill alot of different roles on gameday depending on opponent. Not dominant at 1 thing..and really better served in a rotational role.Sets the edge very well...can take advantage of certain OT's in pass rush..and will jam at the line.

Burris- Very straight line..and not even that fast. He has some toughness & physicality that he brings..size & decent tackling ability. Again..likely better served in a rotational #2-3 type role depending on opponent.

Edwards- From a development/draft perspective he likely deserves more time. On the other hand..he was a drafted punter. He shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt. He had a very good TC & decent preseason..but his regular season was average at best.

Shell- + column. Struggled in preseason..but showed alot of growth at season's end.He does need to get stronger & learn to keep his hands inside..but he looks like he could be the long term answer at RT.

Peake- I don't think a #2-3 role...similar to that of Enunwa..and specifcally paired with him..is unrealistic.

boozer32 and wewantsapp like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You don't believe me?

How about this? This is but ONE example.

[​IMG]

Whichever GM that drafted this QB would have been hailed as [Worse-than-Idzik] here in NY after year 1. I guarantee that. Like I always say, the rookie year is the golden standard to assess the future career of the player. I shit you not. [I rest my case.]

I mean - look at that legendary stats! Near 50%-bordering completion ratio, 0-11 record, 9 TDs/18 INTs? Around 2/3 of the season got him less than 1800 yards - which extrapolates to 2700 yards in full. What a trash he is.

===========================================================

P.S. I see a bit of knee jerk reaction to my bullshit.

1. It was intended to be a joke.
    2. As such, it was supposed to be sarcastic. [the "head so far up his ass" part was added to specifically address this point - but then I suck at sarcasm so what can I say? :p]

#24 Zach, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Br4d likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I give Macc a C, maybe. He's probably improved the team somewhat with some of his picks, but except for Williams, hasn't gotten any real difference-makers, and that remains a serious problem. I wouldn't necessarily fire him right now, but if he doesn't make a dramatic improvement in this off season, I would clean house AGAIN.

6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I think the author is a little harsh. My grades:

Darron Lee -- C+ I've been skeptical of Lee as a fit for ILB in our base 3-4 scheme since the day he was drafted.
    Christian Hackenberg -- I (Incomplete). But not a good grade at all for a 2nd rounder.
    Jordan Jenkins -- B I think a solid find for the 3rd round. Fully confident that he'll be better in 2017.
    Justin Burris -- B/B+ Same concept. A solid find for the 4th round who I think will be much better w/the full year under his belt.
    Brandon Shell -- B+ I really like what I saw from Shell . Anytime your 5th rounder gets playing time, I think its very good. IMO, - he should be penciled in as the RT starter come Summer 2017.
    Lachlan Edwards -- C+ Cut him some slack. 7th rounders rarely make the roster, much less see the field. Fans should temper their expectations.
    Charone Peake -- B Again ---- 7th rounders typically are lucky to make a roster. Guy is trying to adjust from college to Pro. 1 year doesn't solve that.

I think a damn decent draft at filling the roster. IMO, - there are 4 minimum starters here (Lee, Jordan, Shell and Edwards) with 2 possible full-timers are well (Hack & Burris). This was their ROOKIE season. Should see improvement across the board for 2017. Can't not mention Robby Anderson!!!! He wasn't drafted, -- but shit --- Mike M. brought him to camp!!

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Lee was completely misused. We drafted him to be a pass rusher, to pressure the qb. That's what he excelled at in college, that's what all the talk was when we drafted him. Then we get to the season, and he's out covering wr's and tight ends every play. His strength isn't coverage. Its up to the coaches to put him in positions where he can use his strengths. Another failure in our coaching.

LV Coach, NYJetsO12 and blackssmagic like this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

still bugs me to the core that we are grading a punter, a drafted punter.......

i guess the jets thought their roster was dripping with talent that they could afford to take a punter.

well obviously they thought wrong.

BrowningNagle and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well its not the 74 steelers but we do have some players that will continue to contribute. the wild card is the QB.

boozer32 and Mogriffjr like this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He has to be more than a one-dimensional player in order to play. His coverage isn't good. Running stopping is meh.

The one thing I'm excited about is the future of our receiver corps. Anderson, Peake, J. Marshall on top of Enunwa who we already had. We can be like the Patriots (gag). No superstar receivers but a bunch of very good players causing mismatches for opposing defenses because they won't have enough good CBs to cover them all.

blackssmagic and JetUp325 like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not really.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Somebody knows. [LOL]

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

MCC must have taken hundreds of dumb pills B4 picking Hack over Dak :mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And then handed him the job with no competition in camp too. Why do we always do that with every position?

Punter or not, Edwards was a disaster. He was awful.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that's why you never draft a punter

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or they knew they would be punting alot and wanted the best possible punter.
    If that was the case, good job on the foresight mac

ajax likes this.
  18. FJF

I don't know if he is doing it on purpose or he forgets he already posted that

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

No I did not forget but ANY discussion about MCC has to include his stupidity in picking Hack over Dak:mad:

20. FJF

I stand corrected, keep on stupidly beating that horse champ