"No Ex-Jets left in the playoffs and there's ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LarryAlRalph, Jan 19, 2017.

1. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

a sobering reason for that: ... Poor drafting by the previous regimes."

I wonder if a.) Cimini thinks this is news (it's certainly not to Jets fans); and b.) if he does, what took him so long to figure it out?

And while we all know that, this is the most stinging indictment:

"Some might say the Jets have done a poor job of retaining their best players, but that doesn't fly. They just haven't had many worth keeping. Since 2010, only three Jets draft picks on the current roster received a second contract from the team -- Muhammad Wilkerson, Bilal Powell and Brian Winters."​

Ouch.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...al-four-and-theres-a-sobering-reason-for-that

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Don't know why but this reminds me of the knicks and how the last first round pick they resigned to a second deal was Charlie Ward.

Of course the drafting has been terrible.. it's the main reason we are where we are today. Way to go Dick!!

3. LarryAlRalph

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, the drafting has been terrible, but why? What's the root cause? Why is it that Belichick seems to find gold every draft, and we find dross? My theory? We don;t have a cohesive plan to build a winner. There has been on one in charge since Sonny Werblin and Weeb Ewbank that have a clue how to build a winning franchise. Until this gets addressed, all the other moves are just mental masturbation.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Kraft is a better owner than anyone we ever had. That may explain why they are far better at finding and developing talent.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Belichik has exercised 153 draft picks since he took over the Pats in the 2000 season. He has made less than 7 picks only once, in 2002 and that is one of the three years in his tenure that the Pats did not make the playoffs (2000, 2002, 2008),

In the span of time that Belichik has made 153 picks the Jets have made 117 picks. So he has averaged 2+ extra picks a year. The Jets have made less than 7 picks 8 times in 17 years over that span.

It's not Belichik getting lucky and finding diamonds in the rough. It's the raw number of picks that he makes in what is essentially a lottery.

It's not the Jets getting unlucky and having guys crap out when they shouldn't. It's the raw number of picks that we make, which is inadequate over time to keep up with a team making 2 extra picks every season.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well I mean there's only 4 teams left and with everyone going young the average player doesn't see too many teams other than the teams he's drafted by. Are there any ex-Ravens? ex-Cowboys? etc left in the playoffs? I would guess very few

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Cowboys had Mark Sanchez. "This Close!" :eek:o_O:confused:

Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This team is such a shit-show in virtually every area.

It was 7 long years ago we came out flat against the Steelers.

It's been downhill ever since.

Burnz and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

6 years, but yeah that was unfortunate. I still think the Jets were the better team that day. 2011 season was a mess. 2012 was a disaster. 2013 was a do-over, seemed bad but possible bright spot. 2014 crash and burned. 2015 again possibly bright spot. Future could be good. Back on track but then the 2016 season epic crash and burn leading us to 2017. Not good.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the saddest thing of all is that we're measuring the success of drafts by "Number Ex-Jets in the playoffs"

Cman68, Jeremy2020, Zach and 7 others like this.
  12. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I think the primary reason why the drafting has been terrible is that the Jets keep choosing players who are talentless losers. We need to stop that and everything will get better.

Okay Woody, I have a plan--draft good players--so make me the Jets GM! I think I can do as well as the monkeys with a typewriter collection you've had going for years....

13. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

In many ways, the teams that RR got to the AFCCGs were built by Mangini. I know people have discussed this before, but does anyone know why Mangini has never been seriously considered as a GM? I didn't like him as a coach and wouldn't want him back in that capacity, but as GM I could see he had some genuine talent. Or is this giving the wrong people credit for our talent back then?

The Dark Knight and James Hasty like this.
  14. LarryAlRalph

Actually, the title of the OP was taken from the title of the article. But as I mentioned the real head scratcher was this: "Since 2010, only three Jets draft picks on the current roster received a second contract from the team -- Muhammad Wilkerson, Bilal Powell and Brian Winters."

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I got ya. Yeah that's bad no doubt. Just never heard of tracking former players in the playoffs, Cimini has a weird job

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

Tannenbaum was a good GM. Things just kinda fell apart when he was forced to trade for Tebow and when he tried to get Peyton, didn't get him, and gave Sanchez an extension. Overall though, I agree, he built a good team with Mangini/Rex.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

New England is better at finding and developing talent because they have one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL, not because of Kraft.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Tanny brought in a lot of talent and had the guts to trade up in the draft for Revis, Harris, and Sanchez.

Where he failed was in getting our own free agents to want to stay here without being the highest paid player at their position. Testaverde, Martin, Brick, Mangold, Sanchez, Holmes, etc. all got huge contracts whether they deserved them or not. If he was a better contract negotiator he would still be here.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

nobody is placing the blame where it should be.. That is, the Scouting dept. They had been grandfathered in regime after regime under Bradway. They were there for so long that their scouting skills worn down to nothing and that showed in the quality of the players selected. They had grown complacent evidently. No fear of losing their jobs due to performance. Once Macc came in and cleaned house, we should see an uptick in how many draft picks actually translates into players.

Hopefully, no more reaches and projects. Macc, are you listening???

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Also the Jets just didn't make enough picks to keep the talent flowing even if the scouting had been good.

Between 2007 and 2011 the Jets made 23 picks over 5 drafts for an average of 4.6 picks a draft. That seems like an impossibly low number but it isn't. 4 in 2007, 6 in 2008, 3 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 6 in 2011. That's an insanely low number of picks to exercise with the draft being the cheapest most cost-effective way to procure talent.

It's like the Jets set out to do things the most costly way and then they got unlucky on the trades involved as well.