I'm really concerned McCagnan is going to give big money to Glennon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 16, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No, a round 1 QB in the NY market will be expected to start in Year 1. I think that would do a disservice to that QB, Hack and Petty.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if you know hoyer is going to lead us out of play off contention why bother having him?

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Just for arguments sake..

Aside from Vincent Jackson, he was throwing balls to: Tim Wright (Outta the league), Tiquan Underwood (Outta the league), Mike Williams (Outta the league), Former Jet Chris Owusu (you guessed it...Outta the league), and Doug Martin only played 6 games (And yet, he managed to throw 19 TD vs 9 Ints). Then the next year, Lovie Smith took over and Glennon was immediately replaced as the starter by Lovie's boy Josh McCown. After that, we all know that they drafted Winston.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The way I look at it, last year Bryce was placed into action under some horrible conditions. Limited first team exposure, void of maximum reps because he sat behind Geno and Fitz, and under center of an OL that had him run for his life and trashed like a rag doll.
    If we fix the OL like we should, and if we fix the D like we should, and if we rid ourselves of overpaid malcontents and over-the hill liabilities we can win a few games with any QB under center, including Bryce and or Hack.
    I'll be damned if we go after another one year wonder than perhaps gives us one more game at a steep price and zero hope for the long term.
    It's time to put our money in developing a FUTURE CONTENDER, not a band aid team. Start putting young talent in areas of immediate need QB non withstanding, find out what we have with Bryce and Hack, and continue our search for the franchise QB thru the draft.
    There is a reason QBs available in free agency are available. IT"S BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PART OF ANY TEAMS FUTURE, ESPECIALLY OURS.

5. FJF

eli didn't and he was first overall

6. PulseJet

Because they had a Super Bowl winning QB in Kurt Warner.

7. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Because we need to revamp the team , not waste money someone who will be marginally better than Hoyer and cost more than twice the amount . This season Is all about seeing what we got in Petty and Hack and improving the rest of the team around them so when we do eventually do find the QB of the future he has a team behind him . I'll admit I was being overly pessimistic in my first post but in my opinion if Petty can't get it done then just the season is not looking good.
    People keep saying keep throwing shit at the wall until it sticks when it comes to the QB situation , but how will you know if it sticks if you never throw it ? Let Petty do his thing, grab a cheap veteran to manage the game (Hoyer) to hold it down if "shit hits the fan".

8. FJF

my point is, why even bother with the hoyers of the world. just ride petty,hack and another young qb that hasn't proven he isn't worthy yet. what exactly is hoyer doing to make this team better, hold the fort? let the fort fall and save the 3-5 hoyer would cost.

9. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

You have to consider the message it sends to all the other players on the team. Look back no further than 2015 for your answer. It was fine to start the year young Geno as your starter, but the team also went out and got a serviceable veteran backup in Fitz. Not having a viable plan B sends the message you don't give a fuck, so then the players will wonder why should they? Geno was a nice idea, it didn't work out (for reasons no one could have forecast), and Plan B came in, delivered a record setting performance, and everyone was happy. I don't know if Hoyer is the guy but he fits the mold of an affordable option should the young guys fail.

10. PulseJet

I think in a rebuild year, you can tell guys you are playing for your career. The veterans may not be happy, but after the likely purge that is going to happen in a few weeks, I doubt there will be many vets on the team to complain about missing the playoffs.

The message is, the Jets are building a dynasty. It starts with you. Want to be a star in NY and in this league? It starts with you. If you cant hack it, someone else will.

Jets_Grinch and FJF like this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yea but if Bowles continues to repeat his mistakes from this past season (team under prepared, players quitting, no in game adjustments, etc) then he needs to be gone.

Br4d and PulseJet like this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

But if you draft a QB every year you don't have enough time to evaluate them before shipping them out to make room for the next one.

13. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Yes you do. one year as a project and one year to show you belong. Carry 5 into camp every year, best 3 go into the season, which most teams do anyway. Do this while you build a team around them. If you get ot a point where the team is poised to amke a run and you haven't found a qb then you make a trade or free agent splash.

14. ukjetsfan

I don't think you can accurately evaluate a quarterback in any way except by letting him play - unless he absolutely stinks, in which case you probably wouldn't have drafted him anyway. I don't think the Jets should give up on Petty yet, Hack has yet to be properly assessed, and the Jets are almost certainly going to bring in a vet to compete. I don't see much point in drafting a QB in that scenario.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I agree with everyhting you said except not bringing in another QB. If a viable QB is BPA at any point in the draft throw him in the mix. If anything i'd rather have Petty, Hack and unnamed draftee going into the season then adding a mediocre vet. Petty doesn't show much (in his 3rd year)? turn to hack. Hack doesn't show much? start the rookie or ride it out and cut both and start again. Eventually someone is going to stick and i'm sick of signing free agents to make a splash and provide false hope. Favre was different cause the rest of the team was in win now mode, he doesn't get hurt they make a run. That's the excepton not the rule. But to reiterate, i have not given up on Petty of Hack. The team is young and we find a young QB to lead them and it's on for the forseable future.

FJF likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

Agreed - I could get behind drafting a talented QB as long as no vet is brought in. God I'd love this team to get a decent QB.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I could see bringing in Glennon to compete for the job, but nobody's going to be giving him big money.