Marshall is "underpaid" at $7.5M? WTF? ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LarryAlRalph, Jan 18, 2017.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think a lot of you are neglecting that marshall played hurt all year ... he hurt his knee in week two and, at the time, we all thought that he was done for the season

to say that he quit on the team after playing through that injury is foolish

RochesterJet, Sam Hammer and Peebag like this.
  2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall was the least of our problems this past year. After saying that tho, Brandon, with his past transgressions, should really learn to shut his trap.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When your team wins a Super Bowl it is time to ask for a new contract.

When your team goes 5-11 while your hated division rival is in the AFC Championship game (yet again) you shut the hell up until you take the field and let your play speak for itself.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but he's got that fancy TV show. He can't shut the hell up or he'd be out of a job. A man's got to have priorities

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he didnt ask for a new contract ... he was asked about his current deal

ajax likes this.
  6. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

$7.5 mill for a WR1 is a good deal, but I still think Marshall needs to go unless we sign/trade for an experienced QB (this is not my preference but I can see it happening). He's not going to tolerate a young QB on a losing team, and will be a divisive influence in the locker room.

If we go young, we should trade him to some WR strapped team for a pick - Minny, Philly, Rams, Carolina, and Tampa would all seem like decent fits. If we cut him, I could see him winding up in NE - Jets karma.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think that he is starting to decline, not that he isn't trying or is content dropping passes. It's always easy to fall back on the "no effort" explanation for mistakes or for players getting old and their body starting to slow down, but IMO it's rarely the actual reason. It's just a generic explanation that's easy to put out there to explain things without actually explaining them. It's like how after a basketball game, the losing team always says things like, "they put in more effort" "they played harder", or "they wanted it more" in post game interviews, but that's flat out BS and doesn't mean they didn't try.

In my eyes, Marshall did try, he just dropped a lot of passes. If he wasn't trying, he wouldn't be getting open as much and there would be other issues with his blocking. It wouldn't just be drops, he'd be struggling all over the place. Some people just decline and get worse when they get older. Why can't that ever be the case with Jets players? It always has to be that they quit on the team or aren't putting effort. Call it like it is, the guy is starting to fall off.

#47 Sam Hammer, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From 2008 to 2011, Brandon Marshall led the league in drops.

In 2008 alone, he dropped 16 passes.

That's not falling off. That's who he is.

As far as not being content with drops...

www.nj.com/articles/19551378/why_jets_brandon_marshall_still_isnt_worried_about.amp

"I'm getting 180, 170 targets a year," Marshall said. "As long as I'm not No. 1 [in drops], I'm OK with that."

... that site sounds I like he's content with it.

9. Sam Hammer

That's funny he said that because Marshall was #2 in drops for the year, but if you look at his drop% he's closer to #50, so his statement about the amount of targets kind of holds true here. Yeah, we remember them because they were pretty much all in big spots, but I feel the drop % is a better indicator than total drops for any given year.

He dropped 6.3% of his passes, which definitely could be better, but isn't the end of the world. In 2015 it was 5.8%, in 2014 it was 3.8, and in 2013 it was 7.3.

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I took the previous post as recievers that are better, not comparing to Brandon's tenure as a Jet. But it's an impressive list none the less.

Manard, Toon, Sauer, #19, Chrebet, and maybe Moore are the only guys in Marshalls caliber in my opinion.

Look at his career numbers, he's going to be boarder line HOF candidate. He is a headache at times though. As the majority of top flight recievers are

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and ODB a top 3 WR in the league in his 1st playoff game had 3 catches for 27 yards and 4 drops (2 TDs drops and 2 3rd down drops that would have kept drives alive)
    good players have bad games. it happens. to say marshall wasn't a good WR for us in 2015 is insane. he was a top 5 in the league, over his whole career marshall has been a top 5 WR in the NFL. You can't diminish and entire career on a bad game or bad season at 34 years old. He's just diminishing with age as all NFL players do. Peyton Manning was terrible his last season in the NFL but he is still arguably the best all time to play the position

12. James Hasty

First of all Cherbet was the #2 to Keyshawn's #1. Second of all Wesley Ealker was better than both of those bums put together.

Cherbet was a good player but some of you guys are just not seeing the forest for the trees.

Watch the highlights of the shootout against Marino's Dolphins for just a small taste of what Wesley Walker did.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he's starting to decline, but imo that isn't the sole reason for the drops. Did you read Marshall's comments about the drops? He said that they don't bother him as long as he's not leading the league in them. IMO that's NOT the attitude of a player who's trying his hardest. It's a lackadaisical, unprofessional, apathetic attitude. That shows that he has little pride and doesn't really care about the team or what his drops may have cost them. If the drops bothered him, it would have been evident in his tone of voice, he would have said that it bothered him, and he would have been working hard after practice to cut down on the drops. He didn't.

Someone above raised the specter of his being hurt. If so, and he didn't want to use that as an excuse, that's one thing. If OTOH, if the injury wasn't a factor and he was indeed coasting, then fuck him.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I said Brandon Marshall 2016. He was garbage this year, and his entire career doesn't do a lot for the Jets when most of it was played elsewhere.

I liked his production in 2015 even if I thought the person Brandon Marshall was fake and reprehensible.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You nailed it perfectly. We are not paying Marshall for his past production. It's all about this season and what we can expect on our return next season. Better to let a player go a year early than a year too late. This is a business and you have to pay based on today, not sentimentally on Yesterday.

16. tubby

tubby Active Member

Nothing wrong with his comment. Banged up all year, terrible QB play, lost Decker early in the season. Wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if he bounced back next year with a good season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Given the state of our team, I don't see any point in keeping Marshall at 7.5 million. We'll have Decker back, and I'd rather give Marshall's playing time to our young receivers so they can continue to develop.

18. James Hasty

Keep in mind that Decker broke his hip like an old lady.

Unless we are 100% sure that Decker can start the first game of the season we might want to hold onto Marshall.

In the spirit of the youth movement one of the two should be traded or cut loose.

19. Sam Hammer

I think Marshall's point by that was that he has a pretty low drop %, not that drops don't bother him at all. I don't agree in the least that not being annoyed about mistakes in hindsight has anything to do with the effort on the field at the time, but it's the Jets, so we hold all their players to higher standards than everybody else. There is no such thing as Jets players declining or simply making mistakes on the field. There is only quitting on the team and not trying. I don't get it.

Again, his drop% was around #50 in the league this year, that's why he's not bothered by it. It's not really that bad, but when folks cherry pick stats like that without the proper context, that's what happens. Dropping 8 passes out of 50 is horrible, but dropping 8 passes out of 130 is a big difference.

#59 Sam Hammer, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Dropping 8 passes out of 130 is very different that dropping 8 out of 50, but when you are considered one of the top WRs in the NFL and are supposedly a top competitor, and professional that takes his craft seriously, dropping 8 passes, particularly when he did, is not ok.

I'm not holding Jets player to a higher standard than players on other teams. That's something you've concocted in your mind. Yes, there are posters here who are too quick to judge, write off players, label them busts, or done, but I'm not one of them. A majority of Jets fans on this site rarely (never?) agree about anything, so to say that we "all" do anything is patently false, and just plain silly.