Mel Kiper 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This guy's mock has us passing Leonard Fournette, DeShaun Watson, and Cam Robinson for another defensive player...

Lattimore

Even Stephen A Hole on First take gave him a wtf look...

Really? :mad:

#1 Poeman, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Marshon Lattimore. Imo he's the best corner in this draft which has a lot of good corners.

3. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

To be fair it is an area of need

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There's a few ways you can go about this. Grab arguably the best cover corner in the draft in lattimore, then attack other areas of need. Or maybe you grab a Fournette or Cam robinson then in the 2nd you can get a Conley at CB, in a very deep CB class...

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Listen, I think Lattimore is going to be good but he wasn't even the best DB on that team. Hooker was by far the best impact player on that defense. Hooker will be a star, Lattimore will be a solid player but not star quality. IMO

I have Lattimore as my third rated CB and I'm an OSU fan. For what it's worth.

He just got away with so much in college, it was nutty. He has a real issue with getting his head around to locate the ball as well. Against NFL caliber WR, he isn't going to beat them with his athletic ability alone.

abyzmul, Brook!, Poeman and 2 others like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we don't draft Hooker and he's available OTC, I don't know what I will do

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I've heard so many opinions on which CBs are best in this class. Just out of curiosity, which 2 CBs do you think are better?

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If we get Fournette and a couple good run blocking o-linemen, we could return to the days of '09 and '10 when our rush attack was nasty. Do it Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we pass on Fournette I will be absolutely shocked.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If you held a gun to my head I wouldn't draft another Ohio State player. We have the worst luck and certainly didn't do well with tiny linebacker guy. This guy isn't even the best talent on that team. So why on earth would you waste the #6 pick on him? We need offense and have ZERO QB's. We haven't gone offense since 2009, we haven't drafted a WR in the first round since 2001 and drum roll please. Our last RB drafted was 1990. Pitiful.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

Drafting OSU players has nothing to do with anything, you evaluate the player.

Defensive and Offensive ROTY went to OSU players.

Lattimore reminds me a lot of Cromartie. Hooker had the potential to be a Ed Reed type player, he's that good.

This draft is loaded with star caliber players so we should be in really good shape in this draft.

Crosses fingers*

12. IIMeanDeanII

Jalen Tabor
    Desmond King (pending 40 time)
    Marshon Lattimore
    Quincy Wilson
    Marlon Humphrey

That's my top 5.

13. boozer32

14. boozer32

The Washington Huskies secondary I would like to draft everyone of them. Budda Baker is an active safety. Kevin King reminds me of Richard Sherman and Sidney Jones is great in man coverage. They look like they can start day one.

101GangGreen101 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Thanks. Based on the reading I've done about them, it seems that Tabor and Wilson wouldn't be good fits for the Jets as they're more zone-type CBs rather than man-to-man, press CBs. Is that accurate? I think I read that one of them has played press (I forget which), but isn't very effective with his hands. Would you agree.

16. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Is it the most important position on the field, or even on D? No, but the Jets need playmakers on both sides of the ball. A FS like Hooker would cut down or stop the long TDs against us. He would make the CBs better and more effective. Especially since our CS is suspect, if not downright awful, we need great players who already know how to play their positions, are elite athletes, have great speed, and can come in day one, start and contribute at a high level. IMO that means we NEED to get star-type players like Hooker, and they aren't a luxury. We need them to just make our team more competitive.

In all likelihood, it's a moot point, because Hooker will probably wind up being the 2nd ranked player and will go in the top 3-4 picks. Jamal Adams would be a nice consolation prize. He's almost as good as Hooker, but based on what I've read, he's more of a fiery leader, and would get all the rest of the D players around him playing at a higher level.

If one doesn't consider Cam Robinson to be worthy of the #6 pick or all that good a LT prospect (and I don't), then barring a big trade down, that takes LT out of the equation for at least the 1st round. Watson is the only QB that might be worthy of being taken that high, and I'd be very surprised if the Jets took him. This is not only because they took Hack in the 2nd round last year, but especially because if Bowles is really on the hot seat with his job, he's going to want players who can step in day one and contribute at a high level. He's also gonna want to make the Jets D better and stronger, since they were so bad last year.

Thus, I fully expect the Jets to wind up taking either a CB or FS at #6 if they don't trade down. If Myles Garret was there or if Barnett is rated that highly, then they would go OLB first, but if not, then they'll either take Reuben Foster, who looks like a can't miss prospect, or Hooker, Adams, or whomever they think the best CB is for their D.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

I mean you play in the scheme that is given, doesn't mean that they can't. Teez has played press for the Gators fairly frequently, I wouldn't say he is great in press but he has the tools to be great. He didn't get overwhelmed in press either but there are clearly things he can learn from that aspect.

Wilson is a little stronger IMO and I think he will develop into a good press man if that is required of him down the line.

I'm not real worried about either from that standpoint to be honest.

18. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks. I would prefer a player who has lots of experience playing press and is very good at it. If Mac, Bowles and company think one of them can learn to play press very well and they think he's the best prospect, then fine, but they'd better not be wrong.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In the deepest secondary and specifically corner draft in ten years, it's only fitting that we'd take a corner with a top ten pick...

Hopefully Maccagnan knows better. We need to not draft a low impact overhyped position that high. We can find better corners than you think later on in the draft.

Some of the best NFL corners this past season were not first round picks or anywhere near the first round (Norman, Sherman, Malcom Butler, Chris Harris Jr., Janoris Jenkins, AJ Bouye, etc.). In fact Harris Jr., Bouye, and Butler were all undrafted.

20. boozer32

Barnett is the only guy on the defensive side that I would take at 6. Hooker and Adama will not help us this year if we do not generate a pass rush.