"Competitive Rebuild" & why no one should be fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Dec 7, 2016.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Revis had 5 ints and 4 fumble recoverys last year,Fitz broke franchise records,Marshall put up big time numbers and Wilk got to the QB.Its amazing how bad all four of them are this year

2. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Let's fire EVERYONE every time we don't make the playoffs. I know better than these assholes! I should coach. WHY AM I NOT A COACH OR GM!!!!! But since i'm a couch surfing douche bag know it all, let's just throw money at X coach! Woody is cheap!!!! That cheap ass mamaluke! Wolf and Casserly don't know more than me about football!!! Woody is a moron (and his wife is a fluzzy!) GET A FRANCHISE QB, THEY GROW ON TREES FOR FUCKSAKE!!!!

The IQ level on this board is Cleveland. Take your logic elsewhere.

twown likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I believe Bowles has to go unfortunately. It does create turmoil, but better to deal with now and move forward than to undergo another year and WORSE turmoil. The team isn't prepared. You can say that the players have to accept responsibility, but it's up to the HC to decide who plays, and to bench the guys who aren't playing well - Bowles has failed to do that. Allowing Fitzpatrick to stay in the game for 6 picks is inexcusable! Even in hockey they pull HOF goalies who give up too many goals in a game. And how about Revis? Why is he still out there? Bowles seems to ascribe to the "Wish & Hope" school of coaching. I say let Mac choose his own guy - preferably one with experience, although I do like Kyle Shanahan as a possibility - and let's move forward from there.

As to the lower sack totals, I think a lot of this has to do with the terrible secondary play. When the opposing QB can find his target so quickly because of soft coverage, he can get rid of the ball before even the best pass rusher can get to him. I'm not saying we shouldn't look to get a legit stud pass rusher, but if the DBs were playing better we'd see more sacks.

94Abraham likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What I don't understand is people wanting to fire Bowles and then throwing around names like Saban and Harbaugh.

Those two guys went to college programs because they'd have autonomy and stability, and would be afforded the long view to build a program as they saw fit.

Why would those guys even consider for one moment going to a team that fires HCs and GMs after 2 years? Money? They're already being paid probably more than the Jets could afford anyway.

Face it, if the Jets fire Todd Bowles, then the talent pool that they hired him from just got much, much shallower. The Jets had been hiring hot rookie HCs because none of the established veteran HCs that were available would even talk to them.

Now, even the hot rookie HC candidates will shun the Jets, and they'll be forced to take a chance on a far worse candidate. Someone whose name isn't even familiar to you.

And stupid ass Jets fans will be all excited for the "fresh approach" and "fire" that Whatshisname brings to the team, until he continues the losing ways of his predecessor, and then they'll start daydreaming about Harbaugh and Saban again. In two years.

I don't like Bowles, but firing him now is setting a precedent that will drive away any legit HC prospect. Keeping him for a couple more years may seem distasteful, but it may be the best move available considering the recent past.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Byz,

We were going to put out a missing person report on you, had the milk carton ready to go.

Woody has one goal and that is to fill up those stadium seats 16 times a year.

If he decides to keep TB and he continues to coach the way he has, I dont think Woody will let him finish the whole year, next year.

The NFL HC job is a very prestigious job, there are few candidates that are going to have success as HC anyway, and there is no shame in that either, not every assistant is cutout to be a HC.

However if Woody keeps him just because he does not want to set a bad precedent, that is a worst message to send to the fans and any good player that is a good FA looking for a winning organization.

Cleveland has not had any problems filling their HC spot, and I think Jackson is going to be good for them, they just needed RG3 to stay healthy and that did not happen.

My preference for a HC is Kyle Shanahan, not saying he would want to come to the Jets but that's my choice.

I'm sure if TB is fired, the jets will find someone that will take the job and yes, it could end up being another bad HC or it could turn out well for them, like Harbaugh with the Ravens, he might end up being the right guy.

Personally, I don't want another Jeff Fisher and Rams situation to materialize with the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As bad as the Jets might be seen by prospective HCs, there's only a limited number of those jobs around, so they'll still have candidates. Of course they might not be able to get the BEST guy, but whoever they get will be better than Bowles IMO. Remember - Bowles got to pick his own staff so the coaching is all on him.

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Woody is not gonna say we're only keeping Bowles to not set a bad precedent. He's going to say I have full faith in Bowles to turn this around. That way when or if he sucks next year he can say, well we gave him a year to turn it around and we're rash, but 3 non-playoff seasons is not tolerable with the talent we've had, etc. I would think that other potential coaches would see that we give people a chance here.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm as down as Bowles as I have ever been, but I generally believe in giving coaches at least 3 seasons. We'll see how the season finishes, but I'd probably give him one more year.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Bowles...but the game against the Colts really soured me on his ability to rally this team.

That was an embarrassing smackdown by a totally average team.

The next four weeks will be telling. I hope Mac is paying attention.

10. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

The only way you can prove to a big name coach, which won't come here anyway, is with a 5 year deal. But again, really none of them want the job, I think. It's a shitty organization, run by someone that will fill seats, by any means possible, regardless of how ridiculous it is. Keeping Bowles another year, doesn't really do shit. They have a theoretical weaker schedule n3xt year, and end up with 8-9 wins if they're lucky. Granting hope once more that Bowles is that great new HC buuuuuuuut, nope. I mean it's not even just him. It's Gailey too and by giving Bowles another year, it's also Gailey. F the DC, Bowles had his hand in that, and we all know how that looks. I think it's a lose/lose. It's the Jets, there is no winning. Aside from Parcells years and a couple of flashes from herm, you can say Joe Walton to Bowles has been nothing but shit show.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If they fire TB at the end of the year it does not mean they don't give people a chance, Rex had 6 years, there is already precedent in place for HCs being given a chance.

Each situation is and should be treated as separate incidents. I believe the Jets have their GM, them continuing to tinker with the process might include firing TB or not.

Maybe Woody asks TB to make adjustments to his staff, it's not always about the firing, it's about the dynamics of the whole system and adjusting it until they get it right.

I'm not in favor of blowing everything up all the time, I'm in favor of making adjustments as needed.

BigSnacks54 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

The problem is you cant fire the owner. Woody is the real problem. signed off on an idzik 3-4 year rebuild and complete tear down, then 1.5 years in fired him, after not letting him pick his own coach.

I'm not a big idzik guy, cause i didnt believe in his ability to draft or evaluate talent, but for the purposes of this thread, he did still get a raw deal.

Mac "turned around" a 4-12 team by basically just spending the cap idzik worked to clear on more veterans and took leonard on a no brainer pick. that first year wasnt Mac, it was money.... tough to do worse then 4-12 after speding 50 million and picking #6 overall.

Again, im not anti-mac, but he needs to be judges on his drafts moreso then throwing money at vets for a short term delusion of a turnaround. Lets see how Lee/Hackenberge/Mauldin/etc pan out.

I dont think that Bowles should be fired because we stink. i think that was inevitable with an older team with no QB. once the luck runs out (i.e. you no longer avoid injuries and it strikes midnight on your cinderella qb). we we going to go back to being a losing team....

But i think he should be fired because he isnt cutting it as a head coach. just does so much wrong and so little right... and im not sure this is the situation for him to learn on the job. maybe he can be a good coach somehwere else some day.

13. jerseyjay14

NOT firing these guys could also set us back 2-3 years. if bowles/Mac arent capable of getting it done then sticking with them is wasted time. it goes both ways

14. jerseyjay14

id be fine with those guys if you could count on them to stay healthy. and i dont think you can

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No coach worth a shit will even give this team a sniff if Woody pulls the plug after 2 years.

Then you're setting the team back half a decade at least. 2-3 years for the eventual schmuck replacements, then another 2-3 years rebuild, assuming any coach worth a shit will give them the time of day after that. Which they likely won't.

But hey, Jets fans on a message board got what they wanted.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if Mac is paying attention,since Bowles and he are equals in Woody's universe. Both report to Woody. Woody is the one who needs to be paying attention.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm so pessimistic in that I just don't see a new coach being the answer for the time being. Its the same shit every time we do this. We go get a defensive coordinator thats being touted as the next big coach. He then has some initial success, and then the team gets worse and then gets fired. Rise and repeat.

I bet this offseason goes like this: Gruden/Cowher will be talked up again, despite it being like a decade since they've coached. A couple retread coaches might move around and then there sexy coordinator picks. If like a Tomlin or McCarthy becomes available then yeah, I'd say lets go for a coaching change, but otherwise I don't see any reason to jump to an unknown and take a big loss in terms of credibility with the league.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

So what's your solution, just give up? If we just give up, Woody might as well fold the franchise or move it to London.

Things aren't going to magically get better with Bowles. The only chance we have for change, improvement and stability is that Woody will wise up, hire a football man to run the team, then get out of the way, and let him evaluate Mac, fire Bowles, and then let Mac (if he keeps him) hire the new HC.

19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

This is a valid point, but the Browns just fired 2 coaches in a three year span, and they still were still able to get the "hottest" name on the market in Hue Jackson. If they were able to a coach of that caliber, with an owner who is somehow worse than Woody, I doubt the Jets would have a hard time finding a decent candidate.

#139 BigSnacks54, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Truth. I've moved out of the knee jerk reaction to fire Bowles and into the kewl Bowles camp. I was never in favor of getting rid of Idzik or anyone really prior to at least three years of work.

The only way I'm firing Bowles is if McCarthy/Tomlin shake free and want to come here. Other than that, we should keep him.

Bowles has a lot of work to do and sometimes the best thing for a coach is to be on the hot seat.

Moving forward in the next four games, we absolutely need to see the defense working on the same page. I've never seen more receivers running wide open with no one around them than I have this year. Hopefully he cleans it up as the season finishes and we see guys inspired to play for their head coach.

And if he was smart he'd do everything he could to try to get Sheldon Richardson more sacks. Blitz to his gap to get him free, run stunts with him being the free runner. We need to up his trade value.

We also need to get out of this competitive rebuild bullshit. We need to rebuild. No more veterans over 30 signed to anything longer than a two year deal (one year ideally). No more massive free agent contracts or trading away draft picks for veterans. Let's build this roster up appropriately, and stop fucking around with this Tannenbaum style of team building.

Cut older veterans next season and throw the young guys in there and see if they sink or swim. We can all take another losing season with a lot of progression and young guys playing. We can't take another losing year of 5+ 30 year old+ starters on the field.

abyzmul likes this.