Looking into next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Dec 9, 2016.

1. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Not an easy fix. Rather, the only fix.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He did? You have a link?

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

all true but an upgrade on the OL would help the skill positions you mention

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would add a stud RB to that cast. Such a player takes a big load off the QB, and keeps the defense honest, and as a result, helps the O-line because they don't have to pass block all the time.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Any suggestions, because there isn't one in the draft this year. First QB will be lucky to go in the first round.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good analysis. The number one fix has to be a HC that puts players in a position to win. And immidiately dismiss the DC.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think we should let decker or marshall go and let enunwa be the wr2. he is a matchup nightmare for cb's and could be the future wr1 if we continue to let him grow out there. 3 wr sets with anderson outside and enunwa or decker/marshalli n the slot is still good while saving cap money.
    also we need a home run rb but you are right, we areas talented as we have been since cmart,coles,chrebet at the skill positions

8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Revis - gone
    BM or Decker - gone
    Breno - flush him down the toilet
    Sheldon - try and trade him if we can't ... gone
    Mangold - time to move on
    Harris - gone
    Fitz - gone
    Clady- gone

55 mil in space created

We offer Harris a cap friendly vet contract yes, yes ... no, no ...
    Johnson replaces Mangold
    Ijalana / Qvale and a FA slash draft pick for the 2 vacent OL spots
    We have depth on the D line so I'm not worried about retaining Sheldon

Focus on QB / O line / OLB / DB heavy in the draft

Easier said than done but yea that's my plan :) as for QB I still have hope in Petty/Hack maybe a FA and/or a top 3 round pick on a QB

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OK but why have BM and or Decker leave

Big Offensive weapons

One of them has a good year left in tank?

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I love people writing off Mangold, the dude missed 4 games his entire career before this season. He's 33, not 40.

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Google found this much in 1 second.

[​IMG]

12. abyzmul

There wasn't one in the draft last year either. At least that's what I read probably 100 times on this forum.

13. abyzmul

You said Revis himself claimed it. The article that you're referring to is a classic Manish Mehta anonymous source job.

Maybe there's some truth to it, since he sure plays like someone who doesn't want to play, but Revis himself definitely didn't say it.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Indeed. Maybe I went overboard there.

We knew we had a number of them in 2014. Yeah. That's the one John fucked up hard.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can think of at least a couple of reasons why to trade one or the other of the two. One, to gain cap space that they could use to address the OL, TE position, RB, LB or secondary. Two, the Jets need to develop their young WRs. If both Marshall and Decker are still here, Charone Peake won't get nearly the snaps he needs. Marshall drops too many passes and is content to do so. Decker is coming off a major injury and surgery. Who knows if he'll be the same player when he comes back or when he'll be ready to play. Three, IMO the Jets won't be competing for anything except for a top 10 pick in the 2018 draft next season, so having both Marshall and Decker back would be an unnecessary luxury.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Marshall, gain an extra draft pick with which to address holes, gain cap space, and then go with Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J. Marshall, D. Smith and Decker when he's healthy.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

All from a Manish article who links no sources.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Agree with pretty much all the cuts, I think bringing back Mangold may or may not be a good idea. If he wants to take a pay cut, or if we can have a restructure then its great, if not then it may be time to move on. Either ways, he is one of the best to put a Jets uniform on IMO.

Also look at what Dak Prescott has done with the cowboys...Personally, I feel like if he didn't have a great back in Zeke and an even better o-line then Prescott would look awful. Same thing could be said for a lot of rookie QB's and if Hack would play right now it probably would result in disaster. If the Jets want Hackenberg to succeed they have to surround him with talent who will allow him to screw up but not feel the heat. If we are at 5 and Leonard Fournette is there you take him...he is a once in a decade kinda RB and is compared to Adrian Peterson. Then you re-sign all the linemen we have hitting free agency this year, and then you try to find a LT and RT. If you can do that then Hack (if they make him QB next season) will be much better off.

18. abyzmul

When was the last great QB drafted that wasn't put into a position to win by his team? Leonard Fournette is going to fix this garbage? Adrian Peterson has played on mostly mediocre teams in Minnesota, aside from a year where Favre orchestrated his way and used the stupid ass Jets as a lily pad to go to the team he wanted all along. That one season was tailor made.

NOTHING but Oline, dump Gailey and find an OC that understands the value of a dynamic short game and tight ends who can stretch the middle of the field.

That opens up the outside game and puts corners in single coverage, and that's how you make your money stretch in the NFL.

And you pay Nick Mangold to come back. You don't throw an elite all pro center out because he had a season where he only played 8 games due to injury. He's too valuable.

I love great RBs, but the NFL has put them at a low premium and there's no fighting it.

The Cowboys drafted Zeke in the early part of round 1 and it could have blown up in their faces, but Dak turned out to be a pretty fucking good option, even if he was their fourth choice at QB in the draft.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If we do free up all that cap space in cutting Revis/Clady/Harris/Giacomini and friends, we can definitely afford Nick Mangold's high cap number.

People don't realize the helpful effect a veteran center who can have on a young quarterback. Takes away all the protection calls Petty or Hack or a draftee would have to make.

MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Until Mangold misses 4-6 games due to injury AGAIN.