Ozy's Way Too Early 3 Round Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

McGlinchey is going back to school, so thats leaves Robinson and no thanks to me he kind of just feels like a bust. Such a weak O-Line class and he can't stand out he looked like a top 5 before the draft but his play has slipped. Maybe I'm being overly critical of him but id rather have a cleaner prospect since he has been arrested (weed possession/stolen firearms). If were picking in the top 5 which i expect us too i want someone better than that.

wampa and Ozymandias like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Pick the best offensive players...that's all you need to do

Forget what Shoddy Toddy has to say

Tell everyones Agent we will get an offensive minded CS

You are on drugs to go the other way

Been preaching this for years

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As others have pointed out, this is a bad class for offensive lineman. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets go defense in the first round. Either an edge rusher or defensive back. Unless the Jets trade out of a top 10 pick, they shouldn't take an offensive lineman unless that lineman is a sure thing. The last thing you can do is reach for a lineman.

2nd and 3rd rounds I would love to see the Jets look at the best available lineman.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There seems to be a good amount of depth in the mid rounds for offensive lineman and specifically tackles. I cited Roderick Johnson whom could've been a first round pick if he came out last year. I hope we finally get a mid round lineman that turns into an above average starter.

The best case scenario for us is having Peppers available at our pick and a team with a deep young roster falls in love with him. (Oakland maybe? Houston? Washington?). A team that can afford moving draft picks to get a player to put their defense over the top.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who cares we won;t have a top three pick anyway.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah, definitely no need to have fun speculating or even discussing who we'll pick if we don't have a top three pick.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Peppers might not even declare. He could always stay another year.

In that case, I would want McGlinchey or Cook.

8. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Latest news insists McGlinchey is staying in school as well.

9. Ozymandias

Yeah he said he was staying but that could always change. Will Fuller did it.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm not sure I get all the anti-Jabril Peppers posts. We need playmakers on defense and Peppers certainly could be that. I don't think he'd slot in at ILB, he may be more of a Rover - Troy Polamalu type player in the NFL.

Ozymandias likes this.
  11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The Jets will probably be drafting in the top 10, and the severe lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball at the top of the draft, especially at OT, the Jets will most likely draft a defensive player if they can't trade down. There should be a few solid secondary players available, I'm a big fan of Adoree Jackson, who would be a great returner too. I also like Sidney Jones who stock should rise into the top 10. Desmond King is a solid CB too!!! IMO, the BPA will be a CB, which is a huge need.

This is one of the strongest defensive drafts I have ever seen, I think 25 players in Round 1 could be on the defensive side.

I'm not a Cam Robinson fan, he is constantly on the ground and doesn't seem to bend his knees and has lousy technique.

It wasn't a good year for the Jets to suck, based on our needs on the O-Line. We may have to fill that void in Free Agency.

#31 WW85, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I'd just hate to see a defensive back as I'm praying we look to select an edge rusher, although the only one I really want is Myles Garrett who likely won't be there.

I really like DeShaun Watson even though he's projected as a day 2 pick. I know you're a big college football fan and draft buff. Would you be upset with him in the first?

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

We all know the Jets will go BPA, especially in Rd 1. The next 5 games will determine our draft spot, I tend to believe the Jets will probably win at least 2 or 3 of the next games and will probably be drafting in the 7-12 range. The top edge rushers will be gone, so I believe we will probably get an elite CB, like Humphrey, Adoree' Jackson, Sidney Jones or Desmond King all which would be welcome additions to our secondary. King & Jones may not be rated in the top 12 yet, but their value should increase.

I don't value any OT in the top 12, especially since the kid from Notre Dame probably won't declare, he would be my 1st choice for the Jets in Rd1.

I really like Watson, awesome arm, accurate, smart player with great mobility to make plays with his arm downfield. He's not a true running QB, but does enough when he has to elude the rush. He priority is to throw first and run only when necessary. I think the only knock scouts have on Watson is his size, but I think it's a bunch of crap. He is a winner and leader that has shown to make plays. I think Watson stock should increase make him at least a mid Rd one selection, to a team that just missed the playoffs and needs a QB of the future.

The Browns have the Eagle's 1st Rd pick, around the late teens, and would be perfect spot for them to draft Watson and take Garrett or Allen with the 1st pick.

QB situation with Hack & Petty will probably not allow for us to draft a QB early. We would probably pick up a vet QB in free agency. I can't see us having Petty, Hack & a 2017 drafted QB on next year's roster.

#33 WW85, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Peppers lmao. Can anyone find three plays where this guy makes a play in the secondary at Safety? He is pretty much a punt returner. The three best safeties I ever saw in college in my lifetime were: Sean Taylor(RIP), Ed Reed, and Eric Berry. The JETS would be utterly clueless if they drafted Peppers in the top 10.

15. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

If we get Quincy Wilson in the second we might finally break the second round curse. If we can get him in the second it'd be an absolute steal.

I'm not in love with Peppers and we're currently projected to draft 5th. Somewhat gadget defensive player there just bothers me. If he was more of a ball-hawk I'd feel otherwise, but I'd take Hooker or Adams over him at Safety. Even then, I'd be more inclined to take a flyer on a healthy Fournette in the first out of a BPA perspective (though I admit a part of me is absolutely terrified he's going to turn into Trent Richardson)

Then I'd try and grab a RT or Interior OL in the 3rd if any guys like Forrest Lamp, Pat Elfein, Dan Feeney, etc are still available. (Feeny doubtful, Lamp or Elfein much more possible high in the third.)

I got nothing against Westbrook I just think that the offense as a whole will get a lot more out of a boost on the line than with 5th receiver. (Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Anderson.) Especially if we do end up grabbing an RB.

#35 wampa, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree, but I'm staying away from Fournette. He reminds me a lot of Clowney coming out of college in an elite talent that may not be ready for the spotlight or have the drive to be an elite player.

He's also in the mold of the old-school runningbacks ala Adrian Peterson. Suspect pass blocker and not fluid enough to be a receiving threat.

He could end up being a great player and talent.

Runningback is no longer a premium position that needs to be selected in the first round. Only 6 players in the top 40 of rushing yards this year were first round selections (Zeke, Melvin Gordon, Mark Ingram, Jonathan Stewart, Todd Gurley and Ryan Matthews).

Ironically I guess it somewhat goes against my argument that both Zeke and Melvin Gordon were first round picks and are two of the top 5 rushers.

NFL runningbacks:
    Matt Forte (#44 overall)
    Leveon Bell (#48 overall)
    LeSean McCoy (#53 overall)
    Jeremy Hill (#55 overall)
    Carlos Hyde (#57 overall)
    Frank Gore (#65 overall)
    DeMarco Murray (#71 overall)
    David Johnson (#86 overall)
    Terrance Wear (#94 overall)
    Lamar Miller (#97 overall)
    Devontae Freeman (#103 overall)/Tevin Coleman (#73 overall)
    Devontae Booker (#136 overall)
    Jay Ajayi (#149 overall)
    Jordan Howard (#150 overall)
    Latavius Murray (#181 overall)
    Spencer Ware (#194 overall)
    LeGarrette Blount (UDFA)
    Robert Kelley (UDFA)
    C.J. Anderson (UDFA)

It's one of the easiest positions to plug and play in the NFL.

#36 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    wampa likes this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez we aren't even done with the season and the draft stuff is swinging with force...LOL

i don't think we'll go QB in round 1 or any round for that matter - though the watson idea is intriguing. agree about the defense and CB looks like a viable option, again. damn u kyle wilson!!

but if garrett sucks in a bong or 2 prior to the draft and slithers down the jets HAVE to take him.

cgrec and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  18. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Real quick, I don't think the Clowney comparison is warranted just on the basis that I've never heard anything -bad- about his work ethic. By all accounts he's came into 2016 in tip-top shape, destroying LSU's conditioning test, etc. He hasn't been asked to do a ton of pass-blocking as the primary ball-carrier in his offensive scheme, but when you compare his 2015 season to Dalvin Cook's, for example, he actually had the edge even in the pass-blocking and catching out of the backfield. He's a fantastic speed-power blend, and arguably the single best RB prospect since AP.

That said, this is a rich RB class, and your arguments about the RB position as a whole are well-warranted. Assuming Myles Garret doesn't fall into our laps, where do you see/want the first-round pick going, with no OL meriting the height of the pick and a questionable QB class? Assuming we hold in the pick 5-7 range.

#38 wampa, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  19. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

The Fournette to Clowney comparison doesn't make sense. Fournette had absolutely nothing to gain in playing this season, but he started the Wisconsin game with a high ankle sprain because he wanted to help LSU compete for a championship. He missed some games this season, but instead of letting his ankle heal up for the combine, he kept rushing back to help his team. He even said that he plans to play in the Citrus Bowl against Louisville instead of healing up for the combine/pro day.

I don't know if you are a fan of pro football focus, but they graded Fournette out as a better receiver and pass blocker than Cook. Fournette's pass blocking efficiency rating for last season was 18 versus Cook having a rating of 93.

20. Ozymandias

We are 3-9, not going to the playoffs. Time to look to the future.