Is this a dirty hit?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BrowningNagle, Oct 24, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

#1 BrowningNagle, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

nah it was a shoulder check. watch where you're running if you don't wanna get trucked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't think so. It's difficult to assess when the 'target' isn't even looking in the right direction.

4. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Shoulder was aimed square in the chest and he followed through. Buddy needs to keep his head on a swivel.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Can't blame the refs for throwing the flag but after looking at the replays he led with his shoulder so seems like a clean hit.

6. BrowningNagle

Just in case people don't know they threw a 15 yard penalty on the field. Many Buffalo players spoke out how it was a dirty hit. A buffalo sportswriter went so far as to say he stopped watching football after the play. (seems to me like that means he is admitting to not doing his job). A USA Today writer claimed there is "no room in football for that type of play." many articles out there claiming it was a dirty hit and that Landry should've been ejected.........

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Looks to me like he's launching himself into the guy's head area. Could have thrown an effective block without decapitating the guy. Just the way it looks to me.

Wah, Royal Tee, alleycat9 and 2 others like this.
  8. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I agree, just like the launch plays you see in the NHL.

I'd LOVE for the NFL to adopt the practice of providing video explanation of rules and discipline procedures the way the NHL does.

9. Jets_Grinch

Sounds like whinny buffalo fans. This is exactly the shit that are turning people off and causing ratings to drop.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure why there was a flag thrown, that hit looked like it was within the rules.

If the NFL was interested in making the game fair instead of an offensive game, they'd have "defenseless player" rules that benefited the defense like it does the offensive passing game, but that would just make this sooooo difficult for the offense.

11. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

The only thing dirty about it was that he left his feet. You cant "launch" yourself into a player like that. He could have easily made just as effective a block without leaving his feet.

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Launches and leaves his feet
    to target
    a defenseless player
    in the head.

Checks just about every box there is.

Royal Tee and alleycat9 like this.
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Hines Ward's done worse.

14. Jets_Grinch

Target was the chest. Leaving his feet (by about 2 inches) was the only issue here. Please note it was YOUR coach who went on about "building a bully." If a Bills player made this hit you'd be over the moon with his "gritty play."

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

The thing is a blocker leaving his feet is not advantageous. If the Bills player had his head up and aware, he steps around the dolphin blocker easily or runs right through him because the blocker has no leverage with his feet off the ground..

The Bills player was seemingly unaware of the play going on right in front of him. That's my biggest issue with calling it a dirty play. It was at the point of attack, the bills player should not have been "defenseless"

by throwing a flag and/or calling it a dirty play you are walking a very fine line. It was a block right at the point of attack. You are already saying these players can't go low blocking there, they can't hold, they can't hit the head. Now you are saying they can't block hard?

abyzmul likes this.
  16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm all for blindside hits, but the only reason you launch upwards like that is to go for someone's head.

Dirty.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Royal Tee likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This is a good point, but if you watch it closely, he really barely leaves his feet, but he does drive his shoulder up into the guy's head. He could have squared him up and taken him out of the play, but instead he lit him up. Maybe it just looks worse than it is, though.

18. Bills over Jets

I get what you're saying in theory, but it wasn't really as "at the point of attack" as you make it seem. When I hear "point of attack" I think of someone coming on head to head and engaging. This guy came in from the side on a crack block. Where this was in the play, it's not necessary to blow the guy up who's not really involved in the play. He could have gotten in his way and taken him out. Hell, he could have even blasted him hard in the chest, not with his head and not leaving his feet. Still would have been a devastating hit. Not saying I would be a fan of that, but I would kind of agree with your thinking in that scenario.

19. Bills over Jets

Really dude?

I guess you're right. The phrase "building a bully" couldn't possibly have meant playing ground and pound football, being physical in the run game and front 7, and dictating what the other team is going to do instead of us reacting. He surely meant to play dirty, take cheap shots, injure players, and take penalties. What a joke.

20. BrowningNagle

No I don't think "at the point of attack" means only head to head engagement at all.

And the bills player was absolutely involved in the play, at least until he got jacked up. That's the key block in an outside run like that. He wasn't all the way across the field he was right where the ball was going